What is the fastest way to hook up an app with 1password?

lbend
lbend
Community Member

Hi,

For browsers, 1password is easy as you can generate password, input it to register/change password fields and the extension automatically picks up.

What about for apps? There are some apps that don't have proper web pages, e.g. Uber or some game apps. Whats the least amount of steps required to use 1 password? Cause currently it seems that the only way is to manually create an entry in vault which is tiresome.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lbend

Many apps have 1Password support built-in. Here is the list of ones that we know about:

AgileBits Blog | Apps ❤ 1Password

For those apps you can learn about how to use the extension here:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you’re working with an app that doesn’t have 1Password built-in then either drag & drop (iPad):

AgileBits Blog | Up top, drag and drop – iOS 11 super powers for your iPad

or copy & paste are going to be the way to do it. :)

Ben

• lbend
    lbend
    Community Member

Well then here's an idea - develop a custom keyboard that has a 1password button which generates a password and inputs it to the field selected, and automatically creates an entry to the vault and immediately asks me to fill in missing details, missing as in what it can't itself find out from the app.

If we go back to my example, I can't update Uber password with 1password from their website, I can only do it in the app. Lets say I'm in the Uber app's "Change password" menu and want to use 1password password in it, and have its vault entry created. Could you please tell me what the minimum amount of steps required to it is? Im asking because I feel like I might be missing something stupidly simple.

• @lbend

Unfortunately that can’t be done on iOS. Custom keyboards are prevented by the operating system from having any use in password fields. This is why we developed the extension, but with that developers have to opt to implement it in their apps. Many have, but many more have not yet. Generally the only thing that gets them to do so is push from their customers.

For the Uber app on an iPhone you’re going to have to copy & paste from 1Password into the Uber app. Assuming you need to enter your current password in order to change to a new one you’d:

1. navigate to the change password page in Uber
    2. switch to 1Password
    3. locate your Uber Login item
    4. copy the current password
    5. return to Uber
    6. paste the current password
    7. return to 1Password
    8. Edit your Uber Login item and select the option to generate a new password (saving the item will copy the new password to the clipboard)
    9. Return to Uber and paste in the new password in the new password and confirm new password fields (if applicable)

If you don’t need the current password you can skip to step 7.

Thanks.

Ben

• lbend
    lbend
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the explanation. Apparently I approached this wrongly, I wanted to have a password generated for Uber without having Uber in the vault yet, so my initial problem was I went to Passwords and clicked the + sign and was daunted by the amount of info I needed to input. The "Logins" tab was actually the one I needed. It was as simple and streamlined as it should be, thank you.

• Glad to hear you were able to find an easier workflow. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.