ios 11, safari and firefox and 1password icon/usage

Options

Comments

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

Dear all, 1Password support has been readded in the last two iOS Firefox beta builds. However, I’ve tried it on a few sites where I can get into 1P but the login never goes into the boxes.

Do any of the Devs also have access to the FF iOS beta program? It would be good to confirm it’s not just me....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spaldo: I'm not sure, but I can check. However, it would be helpful to know the URLs where you're having trouble in the first place. It may be unrelated to the app itself. Frames are a common problem on iOS.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Alright, it would be good for someone on the team to get access to the beta (isnt very hard) so they can also check progress for 1Pass to work again with Firefox.

I’ll have a look when I’m home to check the URL’s, however, they worked in Safari when I tried at the same time. Just not FF.

• bundtkate
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Spaldo: I'm a Firefox fan myself and use Nightly on my PC, so I went ahead and signed up for their beta program on iOS in case no one is on board yet. No invite as yet, but let us know about those URLs. I'll give it a try once they get to me. :+1:

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate sounds good. It only took a few days for the invitation when I applied

• @Spaldo: Well, here's hoping. I'm a drag and drop addict myself since my iPad is my only iOS device, but I think I can handle using the extension to give it a try in Firefox. I can't promise anything, but I'm happy to keep an eye on things and help however I can. :chuffed:

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    Options

Just got the new FireFox on my iPad Pro... they hid the button to get to 1P and Printing etc. Not very efficient, annoying a bit actually.

Any change 1P can be somehow moved somewhere we can get to it or are you all stuck with what Apple provides?

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    Options

You have to hit the 3 dots in top right next to the 3 lines, then the “Share Page with...” then you finally get to the [^] that should be there in the first place.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alienmeatsack

Unfortunately this is not up to us where it's placed. This is Mozilla's decision.

All we can do is provide the necessary framework for allowing developers, like Mozilla, to make 1Password appear in the Share Sheet. Which is where you'll find 1Password. You can of course move 1Password in that list, just tap the ... at the end of the list and then drag the 1Password icon to the top, this will make it the first item in the list.

However, how you open the share sheet window, that's up to the developer. Mozilla decided to tuck it in where they did and they could in theory make that share sheet location a lot more visible if they want, or they can decide not to show it at all. But it's up to them where that thing lives.

If you'd like to see it more prominent you will want to file a bug report or feature request with them to make the share sheet more prominently visible.

Hope that helps a little bit at least. Sorry we can't make those changes for you, I wish it was up to us, we'd put it in a nice convenient place for our users :)

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    Options

I’m sure if it was your choice @AGKyle it would be right up there in the bar like on our desktops. I’m sure its as frustrating for you as us.

I’m glad its back, but the change was enough to turn this longtime user away from FF on my iOS devices. Plus since I moved to Chrome because of it, and Yandex (thanks to this forum!) I am good. But, wish FF was were it should be.

I’ll have to hop on their site and suggest it. Maybe if enough of us speak up, not just 1P users but everyone, they will do something. A lot of printing folks are going to be ticked when they have more steps too, along with save as PDF, you name it.

Thanks for making 1P and being ahead of their game as always!

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alienmeatsack

Thanks for the kind words! We certainly wouldn't be here without our passionate users so thank you for using 1Password! :)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@alienmeatsack yep, it has been moved to an annoying place. The only thing is that since the first release and the feedback (including me) they have made a minor change. If you hold the 3 dots it will bring up the share sheet. It isn’t great and I would prefer it’s own direct icon.

Let me know if you create a feedback thread so I can post :)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

FF has been updated and now it’s the new beta style. So no need to wait for beta invite. Can someone download it and see if FF with 1P is filling in logins for them?

• alienmeatsack
    alienmeatsack
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Spaldo - the long press does work skipping a step and makes it a little less of an annoyance!

I also wonder if there’s a way for FF themselves to build in a Key command using the CMD key on the iOS physical keyboard. I couldn’t find a CMD key in the soft keyboard however. But, a command key function I can set to instantly pop up 1P would be rock awesome. These CMD key things are way underused and super powerful for those of us who work using the physical keyboards.

Imagine if just hitting CMD-1 or something popped 1P right up! THAT I’d pay for a “pro” version of the FF app for, I’d even pay 1P for it. I use 1P so many times a day, this is stuff that is part of life so I need it and can justify costs because it saves me my usual steps.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spaldo

I just tried the latest stable version of Firefox on iOS and it fills fine for me.

Note that there is a known bug that we hope to have fixed in 1Password 7.0.1 that causes the extension to crash when filling an item that also contains a 2FA field. This doesn't crash every time, but does crash about 50% of the time for me. From my understanding it also crashes 100% of the time on iPad though. So this is a pretty high priority bug for us and hopefully the fix isn't absolutely terrible and we can get it into 7.0.1 and shipped out to users soon.

So, if you see that the login item has a TOTP field, and it isn't filling, it's likely this. Try sites without a TOTP field and I suspect you'll probably find a lot more success :) This is simply a way for you to confirm that's what you're seeing, I realize it doesn't make your usage of the app any easier though.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I must have been unlucky with the sites I was testing with. But, on the latest release version these sites aren’t working:

https://whirlpool.net.au/profile/?a=login
    https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

The 1Password login is recognised with the pop up it just never fills it into the login on the website

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spaldo

Not sure what's up with the whirlpool site, it does work in Safari but for some reason doesn't seem to work in Firefox.

However, the Apple one won't work in either, and that's the result of the login form being in an iFrame. We don't fill into iFrames.

For the whirlpool site, I'm not sure what I can do to troubleshoot that one honestly. With Safari we can inspect the page from a macOS machine to see what's going on there behind the scenes a bit, but we aren't able to do that with Firefox, so I'm not able to determine if for some reason or another Firefox is getting a slightly altered version of the page.

It's also possible that Firefox is using an older version of our app extension API files which would mean that maybe things aren't quite the same as what we have for Safari, since that's entirely enclosed in 1Password, but can't be done the same way for 3rd party apps like Firefox.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spaldo

Further testing shows that it is very likely that Firefox is using an older version of our app extension code. I'll see if I can get in touch with them next week to see about updating that.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle ah ok, no problem. Thanks, hopefully that will fix it up :)

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

I installed Firefox for iOS today and immediately noticed that there is no way to access 1Password to submit login details on websites. Are you aware of this issue? Is it a 1Password issue or a Firefox/Mozilla issue or an Apple iOS issue? Is there a fix for it?

1Password Version: 1P for iOS 7.0.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 11.1.1
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Cannot access 1P in Firefox for iOS on my iPhone

• Ben
    Options

Hi @AMCarter3

I’ve merged your question with an existing thread on the same issue. Please see above. :)

Ben

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@AMCarter3 , unfortunately this is a change Firefox made. If you hold the 3 dots up the top right it will come up and let you use the 1Password function.

I can only suggest you give FF feedback like I have saying we want a dedicated share sheet button on the main page.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. I suspect this is intentional and a tradeoff they were willing to make to streamline their UI. Probably since Chrome has been doing the same for years this made sense for them.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I’m OK with the 3 dots method. It would help if Mozilla clarified this. I’ll send them feedback.

However, I am not able to get 1Password to work with Firefox on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad). 1Password is accessible in the Share Sheet window and it oes seem to "see" the page for logging in. However, it does not seem to be able to submit the user ID and password to that page. Any ideas?

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting the same issue on some pages. Some it works and some it doesn’t. I suggest you check your pages and post the ones that don’t work. That way the 1Password team can fix it and/or speak with Firefox to fix it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@AMCarter3, @Spaldo: Let me know the URLs. I'll be happy to look into it. The most common issue we see on iOS is that access to iframes is not allowed for security reasons. That affects all browsers, since they're all just using Safari under the hood and this is intentional on Apple's part.

Edit: Rereading, I think there may be a misunderstanding: the 1Password iOS extension can fill but not submit login forms. If you're having trouble with filling though, be sure to let me know the URLs involved.

• wideglidejrp
    wideglidejrp
    Community Member
    Options

When I use a password from 1Password, I get a dialog which pops up asking, "Would you like to save the username and password for this site in 1Password?" The username and password are already in 1Password. I just used them. This is annoying. Why is it happening?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I use a password from 1Password, I get a dialog which pops up asking, "Would you like to save the username and password for this site in 1Password?" The username and password are already in 1Password. I just used them. This is annoying. Why is it happening?

@wideglidejrp: Without more information I couldn't tell you. It often is some idiosyncrasy of how the site is setup. If you'll provide the URL we can take a look...but it doesn't sound like you're using 1Password for iOS — the topic of this discussion — as it does not have an autosave feature like the desktop apps/extensions.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spaldo Just wanted to update you to let you know that I'm about ready to pull the switch on an app extension update. Alongside that I am prepping to submit a change to Firefox to get them back on the newest release so that at the very least the whirlpool site will work (among others). Hopefully I can get it accepted by them before they issue the next release.

This discussion has been closed.