Mac disk crashed. Lost secret key. Have data on ipad. Just want to start fresh. How to do?

midijon
midijon
Community Member

Yesterday set up new 1password account and program on new MacPro system disk. But at end of day that disk crashed and i lost all info. Now trying to set up 1password on new disk. It keeps asking me for secret code. Don't have it. All was lost in crash. It says i can just start fresh, this would be fine, but when i go to trouble shoot and erase data hoping to just set up new account, when I enter my email for new account, it still asks me to sign in and enter secret key. How do I get out of this loop and set up new account. I have all 1password logins on ipad and other computers so I can sync it once I have an account on this new drive.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Mac disk crashed. Lost secret key. Have data on ipad. Just want to start fresh. How to do?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hi @midijon -- sorry to hear about the crashed system disk! That's no fun at all; I hope you didn't lose too much valuable data! In regard to 1Password accounts, if you don't have the Secret Key or you forgot the Master Password, your data will be inaccessible. If you don't HAVE much data in the account, then it doesn't matter; the only stumbling block is that you can only sign up for an individual account from each email a single time. That means you'll need to delete the current account before you can sign up again using the same account. Please write to us at support+forum@agilebits.com and reference this thread; let the team know you need to delete your account.

ref: QDS-55598-958

• midijon
    midijon
    Community Member

I am assuming that the data I have on my other computer and ipad will still be available. These are earlier versions of 1Password and did not require a secret code and were not membership accounts. Is this correct? Will this old data be intact and transferable once I set up a brand new membership account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@midijon As long you didn't create any new information within the 1Password account after you initially imported your older standalone data into it, then yes -- you should be able to re-import into the new 1password.com account you create, the same as you did the first time. However, any data that was newly created in your 1password.com account will not be recoverable, as that will be what you're deleting.

This discussion has been closed.