Version that doesn't require a connection to the cloud?

I posted this elsewhere, but it was an old thread, and I would really like to find out the answer. I absolutely love 1Password, but I absolutely, under no circumstances, want any aspect of my password vault, even if it's deliberately kept incomplete so as to render it 'impossible' for a bad actor to gain access to my data, saved in the cloud. I only want the ability to locally sync with my own devices on my home network, which I can do now with version 4.6.

Will I be able to continue doing this with 1Password going forward on new versions? A year from now? Two years from now? I'm fine paying the ongoing subscription fee as long as I can continue to use an updated 1Password locally with no connection to the cloud.

I really, really, really don't care what others might have to say about the safety of the cloud or 1Password's approach to it. There is no wiggle room for me on this. If 1Password will require a cloud connection going forward, I'm done. It's non-negotiable for me. I just want to know if I'll be able to continue to sync locally only using upcoming versions of 1Password without requiring a cloud sync in any way.

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @kermit4karate,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :+1:

We believe that 1Password membership (1Password account, when your encrypted vault is stored on our servers) is the best way to use 1Password right now, because it provides the best experience for our new users. The majority of our customers do not want to deal with sync options or backups, they want 1Password to just work and this is what 1Password membership provides.

However, we understand there is a lot of power users, like you, who are not afraid of that and prefer local vaults and standalone licenses. For this reason we have no plans to remove individual licenses and standalone vaults as an option. We've already announced that 1Password 7 for Mac will be a paid upgrade, it will allow users to continue to use standalone vaults if they wish and 1Password 7 for Windows will gain support for local vaults and as a result a standalone license. So if you want to use 1Password with a local vault you're free to do so.

If you are using 1Password 4.6 right now, please stay tuned for 1Password 7 for Windows, it will fit your needs. :)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, we are always ready to answer them. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• wombat
    wombat
    Community Member

Hi Greg, so 1Password 7 is a pay-for upgrade on Mac even with a current subscription for a 1Password account? I think a recent blog entry said the Windows version of 7 was included in the subscription. Am I correct?

• kermit4karate
    kermit4karate
    Community Member

@Greg "However, we understand there is a lot of power users, like you, who are not afraid of that and prefer local vaults and standalone licenses. For this reason we have no plans to remove individual licenses and standalone vaults as an option. We've already announced that 1Password 7 for Mac will be a paid upgrade, it will allow users to continue to use standalone vaults if they wish and 1Password 7 for Windows will gain support for local vaults and as a result a standalone license. So if you want to use 1Password with a local vault you're free to do so.

If you are using 1Password 4.6 right now, please stay tuned for 1Password 7 for Windows, it will fit your needs. :)"

Thank you, Greg!!!!!!!! For everyone I know and work with in IT, it has nothing to do with cost. We will gladly pay top of market rate to continue to be able to use local vaults exclusively on an updated, supported 1Password.

• @wombat: All upgrades on all platforms are included with a 1Password membership. The paid upgrades are if you have a standalone license for a prior version. :+1:

@kermit4karate: 1Password 4 is still supported, of course, but I'm glad you're excited for 1Password 7 all the same. I prefer my 1Password memberships (as do many of my IT cohorts), but choice is important to us and we want y'all to be able to make the right choice for you. :chuffed:

• Timson
    Timson
    Community Member

Hi there,
    @Greg how do I sync a local vault between my Mac and my iPhone without connecting any cloud in 1Password 7?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Timson,

If you are using 1Password on your Mac and iPhone, you should be able to sync your data using WLAN Server sync. Please note that this type of sync is not available in 1Password 7 for Windows for the reasons mentioned here.

Let me know if it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Timson
    Timson
    Community Member

Hi there,
    @Greg Hmm. Since I switched from my latest vault on my iPhone to the new „Private“ vault, that was automatically created on the Mac and got synchronized over my new account (I wasn‘t even asked if I want to load all of my passwords through the internet!), any settings for syncronisations are gone on both devices.
    There‘s no chance to use the WLAN Server sync or any other way to stay synchronized except the cloud.

Actually I share the point of view of @kermit4karate and now I‘m not really sure how to handle this.

Thanks
    Tim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Since I switched from my latest vault on my iPhone to the new „Private“ vault, that was automatically created on the Mac and got synchronized over my new account (I wasn‘t even asked if I want to load all of my passwords through the internet!),

@Timson: To be clear, when you setup your 1Password.com account and moved your data there, that's where it's stored. All of it is encrypted locally on your device though, and only you ever have the keys to decrypt it — your Secret Key and Master Password — as these are never transmitted to us. Signing into your account on another device allows you to access you data there to, and your Secret Key and Master Password being used to decrypt it there are the only way it is readable.

any settings for syncronisations are gone on both devices. There‘s no chance to use the WLAN Server sync or any other way to stay synchronized except the cloud.

1Password.com accounts have sync built in. There are no sync settings because sync does not need to be configured; it's automatic. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Timson
    Timson
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    I found a way to use 1Password the same way I used to before the switch to Version 7.

I created a local vault and all the settings are back.

Thanks for your support!

Cheers
    Tim

• kermit4karate
    kermit4karate
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty and @Greg Hearing now that 1Password 7 for Windows for sure doesn't support WLAN sync anymore, and I won't be able to continue syncing the way I have locally in my house using 1Password 4 for Windows and wifi between my Windows PC, iPhones and my Mac OS X systems is to me already a breach of trust, because for months AgileBits staff members said that the new 1Password 7 for Windows would continue to support WLAN sync, but in spite of that I'm supposed to trust my passwords to the cloud??

You also keep repeatedly saying that you're trying to understand why people want it. Why they want WLAN sync, because, as you say, your cloud design is just as secure as people syncing locally using WLAN. Well what does it matter what their reasons are? How about because every company, even those in the same password manager space, that's ever suffered a breach insisted to high heaven beforehand that their approach to security was solid. Nobody ever says, "We use old standards, we poorly manage our employees, and our encryption sucks," but they still got breached somehow.

Really the only reason I chose 1Password over the other password managers out there was local sync. That's it. I don't care about paying a subscription. That's not even the issue at all for me, and I doubt it is for most of the other people who are upset about losing Windows WLAN sync. I'll pay more and more often to be able to keep using and syncing 1Password on Windows with OS X and my iPhones, but if it's true that you aren't going to update 1Password to support WLAN or something similar - not cloud connected or reliant on another 3rd party cloud service like dropbox - before my 1Password 4.6 no longer works, I'm definitely done using 1Password, and I'll tell every person I know who I've talked into using it with WLAN to avoid the cloud to store their passwords over the years to stop using it too.

• Hi,

No AgileBits members is supposed to reveal any plans about the future products, if any staff members explicitly said WLAN sync was coming on Windows, that was erroneous and not correct. There may have been some confusion caused by the fact that WLAN Server remains supported in 1Password 7 for macOS. As a new codebase in 1Password 6/7 on Windows, we haven't implemented or removed anything related to WLAN Server, it just doesn't exist in 1Password 7. We'll explain more in the general WLAN Sync + 1Password 7 for Windows thread we're already discussing with you there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kermit4karate: Sure, with some other companies, users found out the hard way about problems with their security models. We're very open about ours (which you can learn about in our security white paper), and apart from our own efforts, we participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers to ensure that if there are any issues that arise we can address them. But the real strength of 1Password is that we neither store the keys to anyone's data, nor have them transmitted to us, which is where others have gotten into trouble. So while there was a time when WLAN Server was the only way to sync 1Password data, better options exist today that offer more convenience without sacrificing security. Definitely worth looking into.

• kermit4karate
    kermit4karate
    Community Member

@brenty With all due respect, I sincerely don't doubt that you believe everything you're saying, but I'm also sure that many employees at LastPass believed in their security model before their last incident. as did employees at the CIA, NSA, Equifax, Yahoo, Target, etc. My concern has nothing to do with the known knowns of your security model.

Maybe AgileBits will be different, and maybe they won't, but very, very few companies maintain a perfect security track record, and my password vault is too valuable to me to trust to your cloud. I mean no disrespect. I'm just being brutally honest.

I just would like the same option to exclusively local sync my password vault within my own network that is/was there already in 1Password to be maintained in the new version, and I'm willing to pay for it. I honestly don't care that 1Password 7 was built from the ground up if it means I can no longer local sync to my own devices without having to store my vault in the cloud, regardless of how you handle the keys.

I'd love to hear more about the better options to sync 1Password data that you alluded to if they don't depend on me storing my password vault in the cloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd love to hear more about the better options to sync 1Password data that you alluded to if they don't depend on me storing my password vault in the cloud.

@kermit4karate: That's a non-starter. There are no good sync solutions that can work within such constraints. I've used more than I can count over the years, and they're not a good experience for me, much less most people, who just aren't interested in fiddling with things the way I am. You may be okay with those limitations, but the vast majority of our customers aren't. Otherwise we wouldn't have taken the time to build 1Password.com. Again, I'm not saying that it's not just fine for you; that's your call. But there's a whole world out there full of people who are notably not interested in manual sync methods that require them to have all of their stuff in one place.

With all due respect, I sincerely don't doubt that you believe everything you're saying, but I'm also sure that many employees at LastPass believed in their security model before their last incident. as did employees at the CIA, NSA, Equifax, Yahoo, Target, etc. My concern has nothing to do with the known knowns of your security model.

I will concede that you may choose not to concern yourself with the security model, but you'll be missing the point as that's the thing that matters in the comparison. If you take the time to look at the 1Password.com security architecture, you'll find that it contrasts sharply with those of all of the entities in your list above. And their security policies and practices have only come to light in the aftermath. Ours is public. We don't have people's secrets. That makes all the difference.

Maybe AgileBits will be different, and maybe they won't, but very, very few companies maintain a perfect security track record, and my password vault is too valuable to me to trust to your cloud. I mean no disrespect. I'm just being brutally honest.

You may be right, but unless you do the work to prove your thesis, we may never know. We'll make it worth your while though if you do. Unlike the companies you're using as a comparison, we want people looking at our stuff. That's not only how we verify that it works, but also make it better.

I just would like the same option to exclusively local sync my password vault within my own network that is/was there already in 1Password to be maintained in the new version, and I'm willing to pay for it. I honestly don't care that 1Password 7 was built from the ground up if it means I can no longer local sync to my own devices without having to store my vault in the cloud, regardless of how you handle the keys.

That's the thing: we don't have the keys to decrypt people's data. But fair enough. I don't know that we'll be adding WLAN Server to the new app, but it's good to know that feature is this important to you. We'll continue to evaluate this as we get feedback from others as well. Thank you for taking the time to offer yours!

• codiepicard
    codiepicard
    Community Member

PLEASE add the feature to 1Password 7. Cloud syncing is NOT an option for my company either. We absolutely need the ability to sync locally or we will be forced to change products. It's really sad to see such an important feature removed.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @codiepicard,

Thanks for writing in.

You revived a very old thread but it is not clear what you're asking.

1Password 7 for Windows has had local Folder Sync from the beginning, you can use any sync method you want with Folder Sync. If your company has a central storage place where you can download the folder to your local drive and sync with 1Password, that will work.

What's not available and most likely will not be added is the advanced feature, WLAN sync.

With Folder Sync, you can sync to any macOS, Android and Windows PC. Unfortunately, because iOS does not have a user-accessible file system that 1Password can use to sync, there's no support there.

• codiepicard
    codiepicard
    Community Member

I was referring to WLAN sync, as talked about here in the thread. I need to be able to sync between my company PC (Windows) and my company cell phone (iPhone/iOS), which is no longer an option in 1Password 7. Cloud sync is not an option for us. Very disappointing.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

I'm sorry but we won't likely add the WLAN Sync support. We explained why in our detailed post here.

Folder Sync is not a cloud option, it supports either local or cloud services. It's just that iOS is the dealbreaker here.

• sackster
    sackster
    Community Member

I'm a 1password fan. I share some/many of the concerns in this post -- and prefer the downloaded version of the software and to backup locally...can you provide me with a link to purchase a new license for an individual (my child) ...I don't want to use a family plan...but want to use a Mac downloaded version of the software (current version Please)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sackster:

If you want to purchase a standalone license for 1Password for Mac, please download the app from our website, install it and you will be prompted to purchase a license directly inside the app :)

This discussion has been closed.