Smart Folders - Can't use "All of the following" and "None of the following" at same time anymore

Options
philmcole
philmcole
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

Today I was updating my smart folders and while creating new ones I noticed that I wasn't able to add a second "XX of the following are true" criteria besides an existing such criteria. What I mean is that you set like "all of the following are true" and then add some rules, or "none of the following are true" and then add some rules. In older Smart Folders, I was able to build nested structures with several of the above criteria.

Example:
"all of the following are true"

• rule 1
  • rule 2
  • "none of the following are true"
    • subrule 1
    • subrule 2

Has this feature been removed? If yes, I feel disappointed as a long time Power User.

(I'm not a 1Password Families User)

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philmcole - Smart Folders (which are really saved searches) are something that's being renovated and reworked. In previous iterations, it was left to each client (Mac, Windows, etc) to create their own rules and logic for this. The problem is that there wasn't a common language to do these saved searches/Smart Folders that would transfer/sync easily from platform to platform. That's the major reason why it's in the process of being re-worked: we need to implement a common structure that works cross-platform reliably so that power users like yourself can expect to see the same things in 1Password for Windows that you do in 1Password for iOS or in 1Password for Mac. I don't have any dates-certain or even really a roadmap to share with you currently regarding this feature, but it's definitely on the "would be nice" list. Thanks for the question!

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Lars Thanks, but that didn't answer my question. So had this feature I described above existed in 1Password and has been removed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philmcole - No, not as far back as I can remember. We have not changed the logic for Smart Folders for many, many iterations of 1Password for Mac.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @philmcole,

If you can post any specific (sub)rules (without disclosing personal info) from the nested search example in your original comment that doesn't work properly we'll try reproducing it here. Thanks!

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@sjk That's how it looks like (sorry it's in German). And the problem is I can't reproduce these kinds of Smart Folders with more than one of those ".. of the following are true" conditions. The plus sign on the right always gives just one of those simple sub rules.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for posting the image, @philmcole -- in German is fine. :)

The plus sign on the right always gives just one of those simple sub rules.

If you press and hold the Option (Alt) key, the plus buttons will change to ellipsis buttons, like this:

Clicking those can get a deeper level of nesting. And some of the search criteria can be dragged to different positions to reorder it.

I hope that helps; it's easier to do than describe. :)

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Oh boy, I totally forgot about the option-key. This is indeed the solution. Thanks so much!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @philmcole. It's easy to forget about Option key usage there, or overlook it in the first place. I wish Mail app smart mailboxes had that functionality.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.