Expected behavior of 2FA/TOTP fields

Searching the forum, I've found a few discussions around this, but still confused about the expected behavior of filling 2FA fields.
Should 2FA fields be auto-populated or should the 2FA code be copied to the clipboard after a successful user/pass login?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.9.7
OS Version: Chrome Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hey @amblin,

One-time passwords can be filled directly to the correct field when you fill a Login item. However, the majority of websites I see ask for the one-time password field on a new page after the login form. For these, you'll need to fill your login item on the second (or third) page where the one-time password field is located. For example here's how it looks to fill an example login item with a separate page for username, password, and one-time password:

[Your browser does not support the video tag. ](https://s3.amazonaws.com/com-agilebits-users/beyer/va8vFHHNgf/Screen-Recording-2017-11-10-14-14-32.mp4 "Video tag unsupported by your browser, please follow this link.")

Filling one-time passwords in this way is a 1Password first, and we will be working to improve its reliability. If you find a website that isn't filling correctly, please let us know. You can always copy and paste one-time passwords by viewing the item details and clicking the copy button next to your generated password. Like so:

[Your browser does not support the video tag. ](https://s3.amazonaws.com/com-agilebits-users/beyer/fzcExcxWO3/Screen-Recording-2017-11-10-14-16-09.mp4 "Video tag unsupported by your browser, please follow this link.")

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• amblin
    amblin
    Community Member

Ah ok. Thanks for that explanation. With 1pass(not chrome), and other password managers, when I fill a login/password form, the 2FA code is auto copied to the clipboard. Should this be happening with the Chrome extension or just this new way?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@ambilin: 1Password for Chrome doesn't automatically copy one-time passwords to your clipboard at this time. Instead, we are working to improve our filling one-time passwords. If we can make that more automated and reliable then there should be little need for something copied to your clipboard.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.