Chrome OS and Windows extensions

Just to be clear...If I have two OS platforms (and Chrome is sync'ing extensions), should I look to use this beta extension 0.9.7 on Chrome OS only for now. And continue to use the latest 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet extension 4.6.12.90 on my Windows PC that has the full 1Password desktop client installed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Rangeball
    Rangeball
    Community Member

Just to add to it, by default Chrome sync's extensions. So looks like by default the beta extension becomes the default for all my Chrome installations (Chrome OS, Windows etc.). The only way I'd fix this is by turning off sync'ing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Rangeball: Thanks for reaching out. I'm not sure what you mean by "default", but certainly if you have both installed an enabled that might cause some confusion with regard to the keyboard shortcut and/or features that differ between them. I've got both installed on one machine, and use the mouse to select the one I want depending on the situation. No harm in disabling the one you don't want to use on some machines. :)

• Rangeball
    Rangeball
    Community Member

RE: Default - If I have both a Chrome OS machine and a Windows PC with the Chrome browser. By default the Chrome browser sync's via my profile the extensions I use and if they're enabled or not. Unless I turn off sync'ing, if I change and enable an extension on one, it changes the other machines.

Is the plan to have one extension at the end of the day that supports both Chrome OS and Windows?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Rangeball: Ah, thanks for clarifying! Indeed,as with any other extensions, you'd have to disable the ones you don't want to use on each machine — or not sync them if you want them to be discrete; that's just how that Chrome feature works. It's an interesting point though. Right now we're still focused on building the the extension, but perhaps someday if it surpasses the capabilities of our more established extension it might make sense to go with one or the other. Right now, this one is targeting a very specific use case though, so be sure to let us know if you have any feedback on the beta! :)

• sfringer
    sfringer
    Community Member

I'm in the same situation here, except with Chrome running on MacOS as well as my Chromebook. It sounds like it's best to keep an eye here to see how things develop and if there is a suggestion from AgileBits once things become stable.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@sfinger: You have a few options at this time:
    1. Use 1Password for Chrome everywhere – 1Password for Chrome is compatible across all platforms running Google Chrome 60 or higher.
    2. Disable extension syncing – You can selectively disable the syncing of extensions (without losing anything else) in Chrome. This shouldn't be much of an impact unless you're frequently adding/removing extensions.
    3. Use multiple Chrome profiles Different Chrome profiles can have a different set of extensions installed.

I'm obviously biased (as I help with some development), but I've switched to using 1Password for Chrome on all of my machines (Linux, Windows, and MacOS) and I'm very happy. While on my Mac, I do occasionally use the native 1Password app, but I'm delighted to have the same 1Password experience across all my machine when using Chrome.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sfringer
    sfringer
    Community Member

@beyer thanks for the guidance and various options available. I'm liking the convenience of this new extension and will likely continue using it across all of my various platforms.
    It will take some adjustment in previous workflows; but I do think the convenience will win out.
    In the long run, with this extension directly interfacing with 1Password.com, what benefit do the OS-specific clients hold for a user? (I can see where the mobile clients have benefit)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@sfinger:

thanks for the guidance and various options available.

You're very welcome. :blush:

I'm liking the convenience of this new extension and will likely continue using it across all of my various platforms. It will take some adjustment in previous workflows, but I do think the convenience will win out.

I'm happy you see it this way because I agree! My hope is the convenience factor will increase and make all our workflows better. I know @dteare has already added some goodies this weekend that will help us all out.

In the long run, with this extension directly interfacing with 1Password.com, what benefit do the OS-specific clients hold for a user? (I can see where the mobile clients have benefit)

This is a great question, but one that has many answers depending an individual's use case. For most folks, having this nifty extension will cover most daily interactions they need with 1Password. This extension is 1Password, and our goal from the beginning has been to deliver the very best 1Password experience we can from a browser extension. It's a little premature to say what features we can't provide with 1Password for Chrome, but we aren't holding anything back. I personally love the idea of being able to get up and running fast with 1Password for Chrome! (Insert "Rock On" emoji here)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• multiplatformuser
    multiplatformuser
    Community Member

The only problem I can foresee is when you want to lookup a password for something that isn't on the web, such as an encrypted file or a product key. Of course, opening Chrome isn't such a big deal to look it up.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@multiplatformuser: Exactly! That's just one of the many reasons to use one of our native apps!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.