Making the extension work in Opera

Is there anyway to make this work on Opera on Linux

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for the great question!

Honestly I haven't had a chance to investigate this in any detail whatsoever. In theory we should be able to support Opera as they have adopted the api used by Chrome extensions but afaik it still requires us to make several changes to our code base to support both.

I suspect we'll have Opera support at some point but I won't have a chance to work on it personally until after 1.0 ships.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. At least not yet anyway. :)

Take care and welcome to our forums! I hope to see you around here again real soon.

++dave;

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

I've taken a few minutes to play around with this extension in Oprea, and unfortunately, I can confirm it doesn't work due to what looks like issues with our use of the chrome.tabs API. Since Oprea is a popular browser it's certainly something we could look at supporting down the road.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Cheers!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• cazagen
    cazagen
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds good, hope to see it in the future some time.

Cheers

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome. Stay tuned for updates. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sebcioz
    sebcioz
    Community Member

Hi,

I have installed the extension in Opera using https://addons.opera.com/pl/extensions/details/download-chrome-extension-9/?display=en. I have successfully configured it by unfortunately 1password window is blank (just white after clicking 1password icon). Do you need any details/help in order to fix it?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sebcioz,

Thanks for joining the 1Password for Chrome beta!

1Password for Chrome is being developed for Google Chrome 58 or later. Although it does work in other Chrome based browsers now, we aren't quite to a place where we are focusing on other browsers. Supporting other browsers like Opera is absolutely a possibility for the future, but I'm not in a position to give any guarantees of when or if that will happen.

I personally haven't spent a whole lot of time playing around with Oprea (they keep me pretty busy around here), but it looks like there are some differences in the way the chrome.tabs API works which is why you're seeing just a white popup there.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

The reason I'm experimenting with this plugin is that I work in an environment where everything's locked down and we don't have admin privileges on our PCs.
    To get the browser I want, Opera, I'm having to use a portable version.
    Chrome add-ons require admin rights, but I'm able to install plugins in the portable Opera. To install Chrome add-ons in Opera, you need to start with https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/download-chrome-extension-9/
    With that installed, any extensions in chrome.google.com/webstore/ apear with an "Add to Opera" button.
    I added the 1Password extension, allowed it in the Extension settings. But the icon remains greyed out. From a quick Google I see that this is typically caused by connection issues, i.e. it's having trouble connecting to 1Password in the background. The keyboard shortcut (+.) works but just opens a white popup.
    How can I resolve the connection issues?

1Password Version: n/a
    Extension Version: 0.8.4
    OS Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit)
    Sync Type: Family Plan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@melvynadam: The traditional 1Password browser extensions needed to talk to the native 1Password Mac or Windows apps, and that's where you might see connection issues. But while this is not the case with the new ChromeOS extension, it is not designed for or tested with Opera. It may be something we can add support for in the future, but this private beta is focused on testing on ChromeOS and Linux. Are you seeing some errors in the dev console? It's certainly information we might be able to use down the road if and when we support Opera. Also, there may be a portable version of Chrome that works better.

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

I've tried Chrome portable and, unfortunately, extensions can't be installed in my environment.
    Linux is also not relevant to me on this machine.

For now I'm stuck with using the Web UI for 1Password, which is fine but no replacement for a proper browser plugin.

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

@brenty I realised the shift in architecture - it's why I'm trying the beta.
    You said that "The traditional 1Password browser extensions needed to talk to the native 1Password Mac or Windows apps, and that's where you might see connection issues" but of course the beta browser extension we're discussing here still needs to connect - with the web services. That's the connection to which I was referring.

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

Hi @sebcioz and @beyer, I'm having exactly the same issue: white popup.
    It feels like we're soooo close!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've tried Chrome portable and, unfortunately, extensions can't be installed in my environment.

@melvynadam: I saw that you mentioned that earlier, but wasn't sure if I'd misunderstood since I've never encountered Chrome requiring admin rights to install extensions. Thanks for following up!

You said that "The traditional 1Password browser extensions needed to talk to the native 1Password Mac or Windows apps, and that's where you might see connection issues" but of course the beta browser extension we're discussing here still needs to connect - with the web services. That's the connection to which I was referring.

Ah, thanks for clarifying! Indeed, I'm just not sure why Opera would have trouble connecting to 1Password.com. I'm not familiar with the wrapper you're using, but perhaps that interferes with establishing the secure connection. Were you able to find anything in the console?

Linux is also not relevant to me on this machine. For now I'm stuck with using the Web UI for 1Password, which is fine but no replacement for a proper browser plugin.

I hear you. There was a time not long ago when 1Password.com only worked in the browser, before we'd integrated it into all of the native apps. We don't have the bandwidth to work on yet another app/extension at this time (and don't want to slow down development on this one to support additional browsers before it's finished), but hopefully we'll be able to branch out in the future. :)

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

@brenty I didn't get anything useful out of the console. I can access 1Password just fine from the browser; but the extension, it seems, cannot. Even that is something I'm not sure about: I wrote it because the icon is grey and I've seen articles online indicating that this relates to connectivity (for example, this one). [odd link to competitor removed by AgileBits staff]

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@melvynadam: If the 1Password Logo is gray then it sounds like you have the wrong 1Password extension installed.

Can you please double-check that you have the 1Password extension installed from this link. This extension isn't public in the Chrome Web Store.

You can also see which extension you have installed by checking the version number in Chrome. To do so, select Window (from the menu bar) > Extensions.

The extension for this beta, which is designed for Google Chrome, should be 0.8.4.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

@beyer I got excited by the possibility that the fix might be a simple one.
    Alas, as I wrote in my post above "Extension Version: 0.8.4".
    Note the grey:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@melvynadam: Does disabling and enabling the 1Password extension make any difference?

Any chance you can link me a screenshot of the extension grayed out? I'd love to see that for myself; this is the very first time I'm hearing of anyone having an issue like that. Unlike our native extension, there isn't any reason I can think of that would cause that.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@melvynadam: Thanks for the screenshot! That's actually the normal coloring for this extension, but it looks like this is from Google Chrome (correct me if I'm wrong). I must've misread something, but I thought you had switched to using Chrome and were still having issues. Unfortunately, as it has been mentioned before in this thread, this specific extension is being developed for Google Chrome. Although it's logical to assume we will build support for other browsers, that isn't our focus during this beta.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

@beyer: Nope, it's from Opera. Under Chrome I can't even install it. So it seems it's not a connection problem, and it's not a version problem, it's just the empty white box issue that's caused by Opera's implementation of the chrome.tabs API.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@melvynadam: Correct, 1Password for Chrome will not work in Oprea. We will likely need to publish a specific Oprea extension when and if we are ready to support it.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mschneider
    mschneider
    Community Member

I've installed 0.9.8, works great in chrome - however I would prefer to use it in Opera :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

There are a lot of great browsers, including Opera, that we'd love to support as soon as possible.

I can't say it better than Dave, who is the "Captain of the ship", did at the start of this thread:

I suspect we'll have Opera support at some point but I won't have a chance to work on it personally until after 1.0 ships.

We are very close to 1.0 and are all very excited to add support for additional browsers. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.