Sorting out Favourites for teams and families

365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi - many months ago there was a thread on the issue with favourites ordering for teams and families. Please can you do something about this it's starting to get unusable now!.

I'm in both a team and a family and as other family and team members start to favourite things that are shared these favourites start appearing in my favourites too (not sure I agree with this 1p decision but fine). What makes this unusable is that you seem to order these so that team favourites come at the top, then families and then my personal ones.... Arrrrrg my favourites have disappeared off the bottom of my phone now!!!!

You promised to think about this months ago, but nothing seems to have happened - and I'm sure you don't intend this to work this way right?

I want my favourites at the top - they are my favourites foremost.

It's useful to have team favourites and ideally I should be able to order and select the favourites I want regardless of my team and family but at least order them so I can put my most used items first.

Thanks

Tim

Comments

• Hey @365nice! Thanks for posting about this. Which thread were you reading before? I'm not entirely sure what the issue was in that thread, so I'd like to read it for some background. We do have some improvements in mind for favorites. I'm not sure if they address what you mentioned though:

I'm in both a team and a family and as other family and team members start to favourite things that are shared these favourites start appearing in my favourites too

The favorites that display should be items you have added to your favorites, not someone else's. If a vault is shared with you and you favorite an item, it's in your favorites list. If someone else does, it's in theirs. Favorites are not shared. Let me know what you're looking for and we can go from there.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Hi Jacob - I've looked in my profile history and can't seem to find the discussion (not sure why).

So let me start again - my original complaint was that since using 1P family and teams, favourites is messed up (thus was when it was first launched) - I can't order them how I want and put my personal favourites at the top. It appears that shared Team favourites are ordered before shared family favourites before my personal favourites. If this has changed that would be useful (I still see lots of posts about people having problems ordering favourites - so I assumed it was still broken and being thought about).

However - it seems from your description I have noticed a new bug. I wrote this thread because yesterday, 10 new favourites suddenly appeared st the top of my favourites list (previously I had 2 family favourites that knocked my personal ones down). I didn't add these items to my favourites, but I suspect someone in my team membership added them to their favourites and so they've now appeared in mine? This is annoying and kind of makes favourites pointless.

If it's not supposed to happen what can I do to diagnose it?

Tim

• Thanks for clarifying. The order of favorites is determined by the account order. So, the account you added first will have its favorites at the top of the list. You can change the order of favorites in 1Password for Mac by dragging them. The order for that account should sync to your other devices. So there are two levels here: The account itself, and the favorites within it. Hope that helps explain them.

I wrote this thread because yesterday, 10 new favourites suddenly appeared st the top of my favourites list (previously I had 2 family favourites that knocked my personal ones down). I didn't add these items to my favourites, but I suspect someone in my team membership added them to their favourites and so they've now appeared in mine?

Could you check which vault they are in? Other members' favorites appearing in your list is not something I've seen before so I'm curious to know a bit more about it. Are they in a shared vault or your Personal one?

ref: OPI-3656

• imt
    imt
    Community Member

Currently favorites are based on the login. If one user assigns an item as a favorite it is shown as a favorite for all users who have access to that vault. However, with families, it would be great if favorites could be assigned on a global or user basis. For example, my wife and I regularly use the bank acct so that would be a global favorite for all. However, My son has his Social security card as a favorite but I certainly don't need that in my list of favorites.

For families, favorites should be a list/database tied to the user. Thus, each user can then assign their own favorites. Thus, if they click on the "star icon" it then creates a favorite based on that users profile.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @imt! Thanks for the feedback. I like that idea, and it could be a cool one to include with 1Password Families. We want to keep 1Password as simple as possible for people, so this is one of those more advanced features for people who like to organize things on a different level. It'd be cool for some, but not necessary for most. We'll keep it in mind and if we get some more requests for it down the road, we'll look into its potential. :)

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

I would agree that favourites should be a per user thing rather than per login.

I have several of my important logins in a shared vault with my fiancée. Some of these for me will be starred as favourites as they are regularly used. For my fiancée, they are only there for convenience and 'just in case'. Therefore to her, they are not that important and she wouldn't want them as favourites for her.

I do hope this change is implemented in the future.

• Thanks @Martok! I see where you're coming from too. We'll track this internally and see if we can get something going.

ref: B5-950

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Sorry - been distracted on other things but you description doesn't line up with my experience.

The account I added last is the I've at the top, then my first 1P family items and then my 1P team which was added last.

As for favourites - it's definitely showing me favourites both from my family and team accounts that I didn't add as favourites but others did (these are obviously shared items which is why I can even see them). It sounds like this is a bug?

Tim

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

As for favourites - it's definitely showing me favourites both from my family and team accounts that I didn't add as favourites but others did (these are obviously shared items which is why I can even see them). It sounds like this is a bug?

This isn't a bug as discussed in this thread.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71691/favorites-user-vs-login

Two of us have suggested that favourites should be individual things and not per item. Sounds like you might want to add your name to the list who would like this.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Thanks for pointing this out @Martok - it's been driving me crazy.

What a strange decision from AB, particularly when you can be in multiple teams and families. I'll check out that thread.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

I have the same issue as @Martok and find the current implantation weird (in fact I thought it was a bug) as I suggested 1P teams for our org and now I suddenly have all these random items trumping my personal favourites in order.

It actually ruins the point of favourites for me. This is a mess, and more and more I'm going off the team concept with 1p as it all seems rather badly thought out. This along with the security of moved items in the trash (or lack of security), all spoils what should be great.

• @365nice Glad to see Martok jumped in here to help out. Shared vaults in an account are a newer concept to 1Password, so there are areas we have yet to improve, like favorites. I hope we can make the experience better for you going forward.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

I don't view 1P family or teams new anymore - they had a long beta program and have been paid for features for 7+ months now. Honestly, this is stuff that should work now.

To add more to this - the ordering behaviour on my iOS devices is different to that on my Mac, which is another jarring annoyance as I can't rely on MY iTunes login to be on the top - in fact now my parents logins are Above mine (as they are shared with me). This is just wrong and it needs fixing quite urgently.

• Indeed. I meant they are newer relative to the history of 1Password itself. The app has been around more than 10 years, and accounts were made public just this year. The cool thing with them is we can roll out changes to the server even faster than we can to the native apps. In this case, the apps also need support though, because you need to be able to favorite items on one device and those settings carry over to the server so they can be made on the other device as well.

For your iTunes login, I'd suggest reordering it in 1Password for Mac by dragging it to the top.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't view 1P family or teams new anymore - they had a long beta program and have been paid for features for 7+ months now. Honestly, this is stuff that should work now.

@365nice: I'm really sorry for the confusion here. It works exactly as it was designed to: Favorites are part of items, which are in turn part of the vault itself. Sharing and Favorites are certainly things we'll continue to evaluate and iterate on, but this isn't something that's going to change within a few weeks, no matter how thoughtful and persuasive you are. 1Password subscribers aren't the only 1Password users, so we need to consider folks who purchased licenses as well when we contemplate changes. Thanks for understanding, and for your feedback on this! :)

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

@Jacob just for others reading this - re-ordering on my mac DOES NOT help the order on my iphone or ipad - those seem to show up in a somewhat random order with my own favourites always at the bottom. I've read you can do this but it doesn't seem to work for me.

@brenty point taken on prioritisation, it's your product but it's just disappointing that you haven't quite thought through the implications of these features. As a long term customer, who made the transition to family and also recommended and uses teams (so a pretty good customer actually), I feel a bit let down.

• Good to know. :+1: Are you reordering them in the vault itself or in All Vaults? The latter can be tricky, but the former should be working properly across your devices. I just tested with several of my family vaults and they worked as expected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@365nice: I understand. We love all of our customers, so the last thing we want to do is let you or anyone else down. It's impossible to please everyone, but we're going to keep working as hard as we can to get as close to that ideal as possible. Thanks for caring, and for holding us to such a high standard!

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

@Jacob If I order just within my own personal vault I can order those items - but my problem is that I like to have All Vaults selected (and I exclude less used vaults in settings) and in All Vaults the ordering is the wrong way around, the Team favourites come first (many of which I didn't select - but other members in my team like to have for support), then my Family ones appear (my parent's like to have a few common logins as favourites) and then finally my Favourites come way down at the bottom in the order I want, but my top item is in the middle of the list now (vs. being at the very top). For me a very quick fix would be to order things by Personal, Family, Team (or let me set the ordering). One anomaly is that some of the team items seem to come after the family items on my ios devices - so its not how it looks on my Mac.

@brenty I get it, and hopefully you guys can come up with something at some point - particularly if from above there is some bug that I'm seeing that might slightly improve it.

• That's good to know. I've spoken with the team about this, so it's in their hands going forward. To echo what Brenty said, I appreciate you holding us to a high standard. :)

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Any updates on this item at all? Its still annoying - it effectively penalises anyone who pays for all of your products. The iOS client still orders things the wrong way putting all of your favourites at the bottom and ensuring that everyone else in your team or family trumps your personal settings. (on OSX, it's actually better in that your favourites are at the top - although as you have a mouse and a bigger screen its lets of an issue). It's really aggravating.

• Hi @365nice - Thank you for getting back in touch with us. We have raised the issue with our development team and we're still working on it at the moment. Sorry for not being able to provide you with a definitive timeline when exactly this will be fixed. We understand it's important to you and it's important to us as well. We're a small team with limited resources so we are working on each issue as they are received. I appreciate the follow up and for your continued patience while we continue to work on this. Enjoy the rest of your day.

• puffmoike
    puffmoike
    Community Member

Just jumping in as a +1 to this feature request.

I consider the current behaviour pretty much a bug. Regardless of whether Agile consider it the intended behaviour or not it's confusing to our team members, and as a longtime 1P user (long before I convinced our team to adopt it) it's made my everyday experience of using 1P much less intuitive.

• Thanks for letting us know :) It's still something we're looking into, and the team does have some ideas to improve the current behavior.

• Coxy117
    Coxy117
    Community Member

I've been a long-time 1Password user with one-time-paid licenses, but have finally migrated myself and my boyfriend to a 1Password Family subscription. I've been immensely impressed with the experience. It has been so easy to migrate our old vaults across, share passwords, set up on iPhones etc. The only thing I have now bumped on is the issue with Favourites.

It seems so at odds with the rest of the Family experience - it's so obvious from a user's point of view the different family members will have different favourites.

And it is the single irritating thing where there is a minor step backward in functionality vs such huge leaps forwards in everything else.

All this is a very long-winded way of adding a vote to the need for separate Favourites per family member, its the one thing that has detracted from what would otherwise have been a perfect migration experience.

Thanks - and fingers crossed!

• Thank you for the feedback @Coxy117. I'm glad to hear the rest of the experience has been smooth. Hopefully we'll be able to get this bump smoothed out as well.

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

How can this be dragging on so long - you keep adding other features and yet you still have no answer for how I can organise my favourites how I want them without being impacted by other users in my family of organisation?

This really sucks! Honestly - why can't you fix this? Favourites used to work so well before you added teams.

As it stands, I'm working in a new tech organisation - and having recommended 1P team at the last place - I've not recommended it here as frankly its bad enough that my family favourites have screwed up the ordering, but it was kind of a relief when I left the last place and was removed from that team and so had less mixed up favourites to deal with. So I don't want to be added to a new team with this problem in place and will just use my own personal copy of 1P to manage my own passwords. Its a shame really - as really you want your users to recommend you to others.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a complex issue. Some people like the way Favorites work now; some (cf. this discussion) do not. And that's ignoring the technical aspects of changing how 6 different apps work, and how things are setup in the database and on the server. To be clear, we didn't change how Favorites work when we introduced 1Password Teams (or Families), but certainly the way some people use 1Password has changed as a result. I'm sure there's a solution, but given that whatever we do will impact untold numbers of users outside of this discussion, it isn't something we're going to do lightly.

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member

@brenty : I appreciate the technical aspects of making this change. However I believe that the majority of users would be of the opinion that their favorites are unlikely to be the favorites of other people. And vice versa.

## Tags: I have not investigated this feature to see if it is implemented on a per-person or per-vault basis. I can't decide, at the moment, whether I would, as an example long-time user, prefer tags to be per-person or per-vault. There IS a value to inheriting the work someone has done managing the vault (curating it). Tags may be valuable for newcomers-to-a-vault to see and be able to search by. Hmmmm.

• @ILove1P:

However I believe that the majority of users would be of the opinion that their favorites are unlikely to be the favorites of other people. And vice versa.

You're absolutely right. We've been trying to figure out how to fix that problem.

Tags: I have not investigated this feature to see if it is implemented on a per-person or per-vault basis.

It's per-vault. Or really per-item. In the sense that if you're looking at something like All Vaults which is a union of vaults, the tags on each item will get unioned as well. But everyone sharing the same vaults will see the same tags.

I think that tags functions correctly as is, I think people are much more likely to want to share that bit of metadata than a favorite indicator.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.