macOS app: Filter prevents opening linked item - UX seems a bit unintuitive?

Options
Sajjon
Sajjon
Community Member

Hello my heroes and saviours!

I noticed a bit unintuitive UX on the macOS app today. If I have a login named "Foo 1" and I filter with the query "Foo", then "Foo 1" is presented. Let's say I select that login. The login "Foo 1" has a link to a document "Bar 1". When I click on "Bar 1", I have the intention of opening said document item. But the item is not opened, instead the area for info about items is blank, showing the 1Password logo. The reason for this is that I still have the active filter "Foo", and since the title of the linked document "Bar 1" does not contain "Foo" then clicking on the linked item does not open the item. I feel that I am caught in some limbo here. For me it feels that actively selecting an item, by clicking on a linked item, should override any potential filter (that was used in order to go to item "Foo 1").

What do you think? :)

Side note:
I noticed a difference in filter behaviour on macOS (6.8.4) and iOS (version 7.0), I am not sure if this is intentional from your side, but the search is actually much better on iOS than on macOS. If I have a file named "foo.png" and upload said file as a "document" to 1P, but name the Document Item in 1P as "bar". When I search (filter) for "foo" the iOS app finds the 1P document item containing the "foo.png" even though the item was named "bar". That is not the case for the macOS app.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sajjon - OK, not gonna lie: any post that begins with "heroes and saviours" already puts me in a better-than-average mood. :)

But it's the rest of your suggestion here that really grabbed me: to be honest, not only do I agree with you, I actually think this straddles the line between feature request and bug report. It should be the case that a filter doesn't override the expressed preference (via click) of the user, and I've just opened an internal issue on the subject. Thank you so much for taking the time to report it.

Regarding your side note, that has to do with the different way we've observed people use search in the different contexts of a mobile app and their desktop computer (though of course laptops can also be mobile). Namely, instead of a "find and use" mentality of search on the mobile app, 1Password on the desktop takes more of a "find and manage" approach. You can also adjust the search parameters much more finely in 1Password for Mac, by clicking on the magnifying glass icon at the left of the search bar and then clicking Search Options. This allows for the creation of Smart Folders, and other management functionality that most people don't need or want on the much smaller screen of a phone.

• Sajjon
    Sajjon
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Lars, thanks, great that you are looking into the issue!

I got curious, you mentioned "Smart Folders", what is that? I found the additional search options in the macOS app by click the down arrow. But via the "Help" -> "Search" menu I did not find any "Smart folder".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sajjon: "Smart Folders" are when you save an advanced search. This has been deemphasized since it only works on macOS, but we're hoping to come up with something similar that can be cross-platform. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.