Moving and Syncing Vaults to a new computer

Options
mcffej
mcffej
Community Member

How do you move and sync multiple vaults to a new computer if using dropbox? Upon purchasing a new computer, I was able to download the desktop client, move, and sync all my data, however, the vaults were not transferred and synced. All of the forums talk about 1pass transfers, 1pass website transfer, iphone transfers, USB transfers, but not transferring multiple vaults to a new computer and keeping them synced across all of your computers and devices. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:moving and syncing vaults to a new comptuer

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi there @mcffej :)
    You should be able to sync all your vaults simply by connecting to your Dropbox account. When you opened 1Password for the first time, you were presented with a welcome screen like this:

Under the "Used 1Password before?" section, should have been a Dropbox option that you could click to connect to your Dropbox account and resync all your old passwords. Did you try that? If so, what happened?

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

yes I clicked on sync using Dropbox. I navigated to the agile key chain in dropbox... then Everything synced except for the vaults. I tired logging into 1password.com... It synced a team vault but not my actual vaults that are present on my other computers and phone

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

then Everything synced except for the vaults.

@mcffej: What do you mean? The vault you selected in Dropbox is the only thing that should sync.

I tired logging into 1password.com... It synced a team vault but not my actual vaults that are present on my other computers and phone

It sounds like you just need to setup your 1Password.com account in the app:

https://support.1password.com/add-device/

This is completely separate from Dropbox. Are you intentionally using both?

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

I don't use the 1password.com account... I'm just trying to sync the vaults that are present on my other computers with my new computer. I have multiple vaults on my other computers.....I also share a vault that is also synced across my other computers... The new computer does not see them. The new computer only sees the primary vault

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcffej: I'm not sure what you meant by "synced a team vault but not my actual vaults" then. Can you be more specific?

Regarding sync, there are a number of options. If you want to sync multiple local vaults though, Dropbox is what you should use.

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

My new computer still does not see all my vaults. All of my other devices see them except the new computer.. Any other suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcffej: It stands to reason that, if you want to see the same vaults on your new computer, you should set it up the same as your other devices.

Unfortunately without the basic information you've omitted from your original post and replies, it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what sync method did you use when setting up the app? Thanks in advance! :)

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

New computer Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. Original desktop computer Mac OS Sierra 10.13.1..... iPhone 8 w/ OS11.1 1Password 6.8.3 on both computers. All devices are synced through Dropbox. All devices see all the vaults except for the new computer... When in 1P on the new computer the only vault that shows up is the primary vault... Again it is synced to the same 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcffej,

Thanks so much for getting back to us with that information. I think there might be a slight misunderstanding here. If you are not using a 1Password account, each vault has individual sync settings. If all of your devices (except the new one) already see all of your vaults, that means you should have all of your vaults already in Dropbox.

To add them to your new computer, you simply need to find those other vaults and double-click on the Agile Keychain file (.agilekeychain) or OPVault (.opvault) file in Finder. 1Password will open and prompt you for that vault's Master Password. Then you can configure the vault (give it a unique name or colour, if you wish) and it will be added to the app.

I hope this helps!

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

My new computer still does not see all my vaults. All of my other devices see them except the new computer.. Any other suggestions?

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

Something must be wrong then... I have several vaults that are seen inside 1P on my other computers. In dropbox there are only two files; the 1P keychain and one .opvault. Other than the new computer, all my computers see all the other vaults. I'm not sure I'm understanding when you say a 1Password account. Does 1Password account = subscription service?

• @mcffej,

Each vault is going to need to show up as a separate keychain/opvault on dropbox. On the original computer navigate to the sync tab in the preferences window, do each of the vaults show up there as being configured for dropbox sync? If they don't then you will need to configure them as such.

On the new machine you will want to navigate to the location in dropbox where those agilekeychian/opvault files are located and double click each one of them. It will prompt you for each vault's password in order to add it to your vault list.

Rudy

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

• mcffej
    mcffej
    Community Member
    Options

That did the trick!!!!! Thank you!!! The key chains were not in the same folder in Dropbox and were spread out in multiple folders. After consolidating them into one folder within Dropbox, configuring it, and having 1P pointing there, everything is working well... Thanks again for your patience and getting me though it!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcffej - on behalf of everyone in this thread, you're quite welcome! Glad to hear things are finally running smoothly with your Dropbox sync setup. :)

• StanHaines
    StanHaines
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is a question I should have asked BEFORE I upgraded to macOS High Sierra (I installed v10.13.1 as a clean install; reformat, install, reload). I do NOT have a 1Password Account (yet). I started back with v2 or so and just haven't had the need. I have my primary up and running in High Sierra. My other three vaults (my wife's, my mom's, and archive) are not showing up.
    Where does 1Password store standalone vaults? I have several full backups (TimeMachine, CCC), so I can retrieve if I know where they are...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StanHaines: It's always best to reach out if in doubt, but we're always here to help. :)

You shouldn't have any trouble in High Sierra...unless you're not running the current version, 1Password 6. If you're running an older version, there are a lot of issues between OS quirks and browser support.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, how are you syncing these vaults? Thanks in advance! :)

• StanHaines
    StanHaines
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty
    I have the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.1) and the latest version of 1Password (6.8.4 - App Store). Prior to upgrading to High Sierra, I had my primary vault synced with iCloud. It is back and it is fine. I also had a standalone vault (archive) on my hard drive where I moved old items. This vault was not available to any devices, it was only on my laptop. I trying to find out where 1Password stored this vault on my hard drive.
    Thanks Again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StanHaines - iCloud sync is available only for your Primary vault. Were you syncing your three secondary vaults via any other method (Dropbox or WLAN)? If not, I'm a little worried -- did you completely reformat your Mac's hard drive before installing 10.13? If so, do you have backups of the data from prior to the install of 10.13?

• StanHaines
    StanHaines
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars -- I did **NOT **sync my other vaults; they were standalone on my hard drive. I have **both **a TimeMachine backup and a CCC backup of the old hard drive. (my first Mac was the "Fat Mac", circa 1984 -- I have learned the hard way about clean install).
    I am trying to find out where on my old hard drive the standalone vaults were stored.

• rudy
    edited November 2017
    Options

@StanHaines,

If you didn't have them setup to sync anywhere then you're going to need to bring over the entire database to your new setup.

The data for the App Store version is located at:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

backups of that database are at:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

These are the standard locations for these files, in order to locate them within the backup you would replace the ~ with the path to your user directory on the backup drive.

Rudy

• StanHaines
    StanHaines
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rudy! No wonder I couldn't find them. I'll 'look' when I get home today.
    When I do a clean install (usually every other OS update) I copy several things from my ~Library/ -- like containers, mail, preferences, application support and keep them on my hard drive. So this should be easy.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StanHaines - sounds good, let us know how it goes! Before you betgin, you might want to make a copy of the existing Data and Backups folders out to your desktop or even an external drive somewhere, just in case things go truly pear-shaped for some reason. Also, definitely don't forget to quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before you start replacing the data file. :) Good luck!

• StanHaines
    StanHaines
    Community Member
    Options

Well -- that was easy!
    I all had to do was copy the backups from the "Containers" folder - restore from the latest back - turn 'sync' back on and everything was there!
    Thanks for everyone's help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.