eero has teamed up with Agilebits

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Lounge

Sounds great but eero is not available locally where I am located. I am covered for 1Password, Malwarebytes anyway. eero also has Encrypt.me (formerly Cloak) so I wiould have to look at the VPN.

There are some Cloak users here from a previous discussion.

Comments

• rickfillion
    edited November 2017

That's a shame that it's not available where you're located.

Encrypt.me is a really nice service, and you should definitely take a look at them. I use it quite often.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Thanks Rick Fillion. The eeros themselves are worldwide 110- 240V but from what I've read, the plugs are for a different region. There is this concern. with has been raised in other discussions, which is how well Duo Security works with the VPN and I and one other are the only ones who raised the possibility of a potential conflict (PIA).

• I wouldn't foresee any real issues between Duo and the VPN. I just tested it here with one of my 1Password Teams accounts where Duo is enabled and it worked exactly like I would have expected.

Rick

• Duo works for me behind Encrypt.me as well.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thank. Ben and Rick, sounds like a viable solution then although the family plan is a bit steep at $149.00. Teams minimum 2 seats is 16. per month is $192.00, roughly.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

As far as I can gather, in the USA modems and routers are separate items, and the Eero hardware just replaces a traditional router.

In the UK, the modem and router are usually combined into one piece of hardware, and it's a bit more techy to install an EEro, as the settings on the modem/router need to be changed. Also the cost of changing is more of an issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It really depends. It seems like if you get it from your ISP, it's usually a combo. But I've always bought a separate router and modem when purchasing my own. However, I think some ISPs don't allow this.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I get my modem/router from my ISP which is locked down and the rare firmware upgrade from the vendor. It isn't that I cannot change the setup but if anything happens (e.g. lightning strike fries router), the responsibility is solely mine and not the ISP's anymore.

The ISPs now sell Mesh routers as well now as a subscription add on.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

The eeros themselves are worldwide 110- 240V

They might support multiple voltages, but most traditional routers are region/country specific, because allowed frequencies differ a lot (by law).

• @wkleem

For me it wasn’t about the money. I’m very comfortable managing my own networking devices, and wanted the flexibility to do so, which is why I decided to do that. I had a concentration in networking in college and it has always been something I’m interested in, so having someone else’s managed hardware on my network was just a no-go.

Good point @XIII.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I just got an email from Encrypt.me talking about their partnership with Eero in which they mention that the hardware is only avaiable in the USA at present (but maybe they meant to include Canada as well).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks. I have a lot of dead zones and the 3TB Time Capsule was insufficient.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep! Me too. I don't recall all of the specifics, but Ben is right that the allowed frequencies (and corresponding channels — the US uses 1-11 for b/g/n, while Japan uses up to 14) differ between countries. Eero is pretty great, but I can see why they started in the US (apart from being based there), since large homes, which are common in the suburbs, really benefit from mesh technology. It would be cool to see it other places too though, as it seems to scale well and has a small footprint. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty,

Another trivia that I read from reviews is that the eero needs a US phone number.

https://pcworld.com/article/3204644/network-router/eero-home-wifi-system-2-review-beacons-make-this-system-even-easier-to-install.html

Any phone number will do, apparently! Something like the old song Beechwood 867 5309. :)

https://lesterchan.net/blog/2017/01/03/eero-wi-fi-system-review/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Any phone number will do, apparently! Something like the old song Beechwood 867 5309. :)

So great! :lol:

And good to know in case I decide to try to smuggle one out of the US... :sunglasses:

Edit: Apparently that isn't quite the case. Just set one up for my dad, and as far as I can tell I wouldn't have been able to complete the process without receiving a code via SMS...

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I've just had an update for Encrypt.me which is that the VPN is now one of the apps that love 1Password. I haven't signed up yet, but it is good news.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

I emailed Encrypt.me wrt to their VPN. It appears to be that you either sign up immediately, for Teams, or for a 14 day trial, or you don't. There is no postponing the sign up after starting the trial.

• Thanks for sharing, @wkleem. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

No problem. I should have been clearer in stating that there is no postponing after the trail period ends in 14 days, after it was activated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.