Isn't there someone I can call? [We do not offer telephone technical support]

BruceRider
BruceRider
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I bought this and have used it for a long time... my hard drive died... I can see the 1password icon on the top of my computer, but I don't see where or how to log in... and I am now afraid I might have lost the passwords that were saved... my tech people say they saved everything, but they don't know anything about your product.

HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot find any of my saved passwords

Comments

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

I can now see where the back-ups were stored on my data drive (not the drive that was changed) but I cannot get 1password to load so I can do my work!

• Hi @BruceRider,

Unless you are using a 1Password.com subscription membership there is nothing to “log in” to as we do not store your data. It is by default stored only on your device. The file you’d be looking for would most likely be an “.agilekeychain” file, but could also possibly be an “.opvault” file. With 1Password 4 for Windows installed you can double click on this file and enter your Master Password to access the data stored within.

Once you get back to that point we can discuss your options so that something like this doesn’t happen again in the future.

Thanks!

Ben

P.S. No, I’m sorry, but we do not offer telephone technical support.

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

I did a search for 1password and found the most recent saved data... I thought I was getting somewhere when I could see my saved passwords...

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

but nothing is opening... it loaded on chrome and firefox, but it is still asking for the License Key....

• Thanks for the update @BruceRider. Just to be clear: you now have access to your data again?

Ben

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

yes, but it says it is a "1password trial" and wants my License Key....

[screenshot of 1Password vault removed by AgileBits staff — this is a public forum!]

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

where dod I find this Key?

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

I'm now looking in Dropbox... but I don't know what I'm looking for...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BruceRider: Licenses for that version are no longer being sold, but if you purchased one previously you can find your license key in the email you received for the purchase. Otherwise, a 1Password.com membership will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• BruceRider
    BruceRider
    Community Member

Brenty,
    Yes, I did purchase a license and with a lot of trial and (more) error, I have some of this working again. It isn't working like it did two weeks ago, but I am functioning. I did find a youtube video that will hopefully show me where my issue is.... but I'm not sure if it is current or correct!

Unfortunately, the office tech who got me up and running on 1password has left our company and no one else uses it...

So, is the membership thing different than the license key? What I am seeing is that if I open the 1password program, then I go to a web browser (Chrome, Firefox), it sometimes asks if I want to update a password, but it never populates the username and password... like the old old days.

Is the membership a one-time payment or an ongoing payment plan?

• @BruceRider:

What I am seeing is that if I open the 1password program, then I go to a web browser (Chrome, Firefox), it sometimes asks if I want to update a password, but it never populates the username and password... like the old old days.

1Password won't populate your credentials without you telling it to. You can use your keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + \ by default), click the 1Password icon in your toolbar and select your login item to fill, or perform a Go & Fill from the main app or your extension. It sounds like Go & Fill may be more your speed, so try selecting a login from the extension or clicking a URL in the item details for the login you want to fill in the main app.

So, is the membership thing different than the license key?

Very much so. A 1Password membership comes with all of the apps across all of your devices (including 1Password 6 for Windows and any future upgrades), your items will sync automatically via our secure servers, and you'll have access to your data in your web browser, among other nifty features. A 1Password membership is a subscription plan, but you can pay annually at a discount and you're not required to have your membership auto-renew if you don't want to. I share 1Password with my family, and 1Password memberships really were the difference between my parents using 1Password and them telling me it was too complicated (which meant I remembered their passwords for them), so they've definitely got a special place in my heart. Every 1Password.com account comes with a free 30-day trail, so give it a try, if you'd like, and we'll be here if you have any questions along the way. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.