How do I get a copy of my db on to my MBPro?

Options
Hal S.
Hal S.
Community Member

I have searched high and low through the support forum and just cannot figure this out.
I understand that 1Password will sync it's database to separate file via the folder option in the Sync submenu. But that's not the database file of my vaults - just a sync'd copy of them. I have a MacBook Pro that I wish to have my vaults on and sync them together. I do not feel comfortable putting my vaults on AgileBits Cloud or anyone's cloud service.
So how do I simply move a copy of the current vaults on my iMac over to my MacBook Pro?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: folder

Comments

• Hi @Hal S.,

The best way to do that is to use the backup feature in 1Password for Mac. Go to Preferences > Backups, and choose a backup. That fill will include the database and all associated files (like attachments). You can then restore from that backup on a new Mac.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. I guess that would work just fine! Thanks. Is there anyway to actually copy over a vault to another machine?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hal S.: Yep! You can use sync to transfer the data, or if you just want to copy the vault manually, syncing to a local folder will make that quick and easy. Cheers! :)

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member
    Options

When sync'ing to a folder, my understanding is that 1Password will keep that file up to date with the contents of it's internal vaults. If I physically copy that file over to my MacBook Pro, where do I place it and will 1Password update itself using that file? I'm confused as hell with this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hal S. I'd really like to get a sense of what it is you're trying to accomplish here, because it makes a difference in how we answer your questions. If you just ask with no context: "is there any way to copy over a vault," you'll get the correct answer for the best way to do that...but I'm not clear about whether you want to "simply move a copy of the current vaults on my iMac over to my MacBook Pro," or are you trying to keep these two computers' 1Password data in sync continually?

If it's the latter, then you'll need to use a sync keychain (OPVault) on a removable or USB flash drive. This is an advanced, manual method of sync and should be attempted only by people who are familiar with what they are doing and know the risks. Folder sync instructions can be found here; the only thing to make sure you do is locate the sync folder on a drive you can move between your iMac and MacBook Pro, and you'll have to remember to manage the sync manually in this way.

Honestly? I debated about whether to write this because I don't want it to come across as merely a sales pitch, but if you're finding yourself "confused as hell with this," you're probably much better suited for a 1password.com account than this type of advanced manual syncing. I know you said you "don't feel comfortable putting your vaults on...anyone's cloud service," and I understand that impulse. But this type of advanced manual syncing you're enquiring after seems the least-good fit for someone who self-describes as confused. Don't get me wrong, Folder Sync can be managed effectively and it can work just fine. Done wrong, however, it can cause all sorts of issues, and it is for this very reason (well, one of the reasons) that we created 1password.com accounts -- to make complicated, manual sync setups a thing of the past, so that everyone can benefit from 1Password's advantages, not just the technologically well-versed. You don't have to answer if you'd prefer not to, but may I ask why you're opposed to using 1password.com's sync service - so opposed that you're willing to risk a manual method you don't fully understand as the better of two options?

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the kind response.
    What I'm confused about is that 1Password will maintain a copy of it's vaults in a separate file via folder sync. I get that. The result is a file that has a copy of the contents of the 1Password database and it's residing vaults. Now, the question is this: Do I then copy that file to my target MBPro and place it somewhere for 1Password running on the MBPro to read/sync with? My goal is to use ChronoSync to eventually do the copying for me eventually.

Just so you know: I am adverse to using any kind of Cloud storage for such sensitive data. I have ALL of my login information - financial and personal etc - within 1Password. Syncing over the public internet is just something that I am not comfortable with no matter what kind of encryption is being implemented in the file, the connection, or the server. Period. But that's just me.

Since my MBPro is often offline (until I need it). I am going to simply backup/restore my vaults accordingly as the manually syncing of the vaults is just not clicking in my brain for some reason. I wish AgileBits would come out with a peer-to-peer syncing of vaults over a LAN. That would solve the problem for me here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hal S. If you're resolved to just never use any cloud storage or sync of any kind for certain data, then I doubt anything I could say here, including the fact that in key aspects your data is actually more secure on 1password.com than stored only locally, will make a difference.

Using backup/restore as a means of sync is most definitely an unsupported sync solution. While I would tell you if it were impossible to do in any circumstances (it is not), we definitely do not recommend nor can we provide troubleshooting assistance for it -- there are simply too many variables and things that can go wrong.

If you'd like to read about the sync keychain formats in detail, which may help your understanding of how sync works, you can do so here:

As far as creating new local sync options, I have to be honest and say I doubt that's in the cards anytime soon, but it's not an impossibility and we've certainly made note of your wishes.

This discussion has been closed.