Can I delete my primary vault since I now have an up-to-date private vault?

svdlfilm
svdlfilm
Community Member

I'm on the Family plan. Since moving, I have 3 vaults: primary, private and shared. The private vault is the most up-to-date, the primary vault is now older and not up-to-date. Can I now delete it?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:remove primary vault family

Comments

• @svdlfilm : absolutely, you can get rid of it. The easiest way is to go into Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the checkbox at the bottom that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" which will guide you through the process.

Rick

• svdlfilm
    svdlfilm
    Community Member

Thanks Rick, that worked out nicely!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @svdlfilm,

I'm so glad to hear that Rick was able to help you get everything sorted out. If you have any other questions or concerns, you know where to find us!

• cono
    cono
    Community Member

Primary vault has stored the vault locally or in 3rd parties such as iCloud or Dropbox; which is a good option that I believe 1Password maker ought never to remove it. I currently use Primary vault and saved it in iCloud which I feel safer than 1Password's server.

I'd like to know if 1Password is going to remove Primary vault in the future or not?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cono We have no plans to remove standalone vaults in upcoming versions of 1Password. Things can and do change, but for the upcoming 1Password 7, users will be able to choose 1Password accounts or standalone vaults.

I am curious, though - most of the time when we hear people are skeptical of 1Password accounts, it's because they don't like the thought of "the cloud" -- any cloud. But if you're willing to sync your encrypted vault data via Dropbox or iCloud, I wonder why you think that's a safer option than 1password.com?

This discussion has been closed.