Web browser exits when returning from another app [Fixed in 1Password 7.0.1 update]

Options
rstratfo
rstratfo
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

If using the built in web browser and you switch to another App briefly, when you switch back and use the fingerprint to login, the browser screen us momentarily displayed before it exits back to the login profile that launched it, so you have to login again! New feature, very poor and annoying/ inefficient!!!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @rstratfo, and welcome to the forum. :)

Although you didn't mention which version of 1Password you're using, what you've described sounds like a known issue with 7.0. Here's a fix we're currently testing in beta:

1Browser no longer gets auto-dismissed when bringing 1Password back from the background.

Hopefully that'll make it into the next update (likely 7.0.1), intended to be released relatively soon. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience!

• mlaurencg4
    mlaurencg4
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Also occurs when alternate browser selected in 1Password Settings. And yes, I’m using version 7.0 (iPad Pro iOS 11.1.1)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mlaurencg4

If you mean the user agent setting that doesn't actually change which browser you are using -- it just makes 1Browser lie to websites about what browser it is.

Ben

• mlaurencg4
    mlaurencg4
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. Why do you suppose that is?

• Ben
    Options

@mlaurencg4

That is what it is intended to do. It was never intended to actually change the browser in use. The user agent setting in 1Password was implemented primarily to help web developers who needed to test how their web pages rendered under various conditions. The ability/option to edit what user agent a browser tells web pages it is is a common feature, particularly among desktop web browsers.

You can read more about user agents here:

User agent - Wikipedia

It could be argued that there is technically only one browser on iOS, anyway. 1Browser, Chrome for iOS, Firefox for iOS, etc all use the Safari engine, as that is all Apple allows for. 3rd party browsing engines are not allowed on iOS. Further explanation is available here:

Why Third-Party Browsers Will Always Be Inferior to Safari on iPhone and iPad

(note AgileBits doesn’t necessarily agree with the title of the article; it was just the first one I found that explains the situation I’m outlining)

In any event we’re a bit off topic here. :)

Ben

• biscuit
    biscuit
    Community Member
    Options

When the built-in browser was closed for whatever the reason, is there a way to easily navigate back there? I noticed the dismissed tab is actually alive inside 1Browser after it was gone.

Seems to me, having additional icon like this at the bottom of the screen to re-open 1Browser would be intuitive.

Using 1Password on iOS devices including iPhone X and iPad Pro 12.9″.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@biscuit: Just tap and hold on the bottom of the screen. That will bring up 1Browser. Cheers! :)

• biscuit
    biscuit
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, it worked! Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• dpowsner
    dpowsner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I opened a website directly from 1Password on my iPhone using 1Password’s built-in browser. I quickly left 1Password to go to another app. Upon re-opening my 1Password window, the built-in browser had disappeared and i was back on the home screen. On 1Password for iPad (remember, I’m on the iPhone), there’s an icon to hit to get back to the built-in browser. I don’t see such an icon on 1Password for iPhone. How do I get back to the built-in browser?

1Password Version: 7.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: IOS 11.1
    Sync Type: ICloud
    Referrer: forum-search:How do I re-open 1Password’s built-in browser on iPhone?

• @dpowsner,

See this thread for the answer to your question.

Rudy

• dpowsner
    dpowsner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. The tap-and-hold trick will work for now. Any thanks. Dave.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• zdac
    zdac
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know. I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn’t get back to the browser. Not nice to make us dim witted folk have to search for a hidden feature.

• Ben
    Options

LOL! Sorry about that, @zdac. I’d highly recommend checking out our integration with Safari:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Many people find that to be much more convenient and useful than 1Browser.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Mike_LeBlanc
    Mike_LeBlanc
    Community Member
    Options

Something similar happens even with 7.0.1 when I try to use split-screen on my iPad Pro. I open 1Password and then log in to a site in 1Browser. Then I try to add another app via split-screen. As that happens, 1Browser disappears and dumps me back in the 1Password display. This did not happen prior to 7.0.0.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Mike_LeBlanc,

I’m not able to reproduce this issue on iOS 7.0.1 on my iPad Air 2. I opened a page in 1Browser by tapping its link in a Login item, then I slid the dock up, selected Safari, and slid Safari into split screen mode with 1Password. 1Browser was still open and displaying the page I had opened earlier.

Can you please let me know if this happens consistently for you, or if it is an intermittent problem? It is possible that it is a problem unique to the iPad Pro.

Ben

• Mike_LeBlanc
    Mike_LeBlanc
    Community Member
    Options

I can’t reproduce it either, since I updated to IOS 11.1.1 earlier this morning. Anyhow, the one and only scenario in which I noticed weird behavior was (a) 1Password, open site in 1Browser, (b) slide up Numbers in split-screen. Every time, 1Browser disappeared. So now it’s IWFM*.

IWFM = It works for me!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.