Could the Chrome extension be ported to Firefox eventually?

joshuap
joshuap
Community Member

Hey guys, I tried out the Chrome extension and like what I see. Great work!

I'm wondering if the new Chrome extension (once it's stable/released) will open up new opportunities for supporting other browsers on Linux, namely, Firefox. Mozilla has been doing some awesome work with Firefox 57, and 1Password would make it the perfect browser imo. :)

As far as I know, a large portion of the Linux population uses Firefox, and hopefully more will be going back to it thanks to the performance improvements and new addon system.

I know you're tackling one thing at a time, but I'd love to know if I can hold out some hope for using 1Password in Firefox on Linux one day.

Edit: Mods, please move this to wherever is appropriate. I post it here because it involves the new browser extension (which I hope will eventually be the official way to use 1password.com cross-platform in all browsers).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Welcome to the forums, @joshuap! It's great to have you here :)

You hit the nail on the head: we're tackling things one item at a time. Our initial release will be focused on Chrome exclusively and as with any 1.0 release, we'll need some time and a couple of point releases to get things just right within Chrome.

When it gets time to start making plans for the 2.0 release, I suspect Firefox will find itself on that list. I'm looking forward to being able to use Firefox myself as well :)

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. <3

• comfortablydumb
    comfortablydumb
    Community Member

Hey @beyer, loving the extension so far. Have you guys planned on porting this to Firefox yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@comfortablydumb: I've moved your post to the existing discussion in the Chrome beta category. Please don't talk about Fight Club the private beta publicly! ;)

Thanks for your interest! It's something we'll consider. We've still got work left to do on Chrome though. Cheers! :)

• rsgill
    rsgill
    Community Member

I was very pleased to see a version for ChromeOS and Linux in beta.
    Being a Firefox user, can I expect to see Linux support via Firefox instead of Chrome?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Linux
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rsgill,

This has been asked in a few different threads here, but I've merged your question here so you could see Dave's response.

The bottom line is Chrome was a logical place for us to start but we will add support to more browsers as we can.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know Firefox support is important to you! I hope you have a pleasant week. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rsgill
    rsgill
    Community Member

@beyer Thanks for getting back to me.
    Looking forward to Firefox support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Again, not something we're working on now, but ideally we'd like to have 1Password everywhere we can. :)

• divoxx
    divoxx
    Community Member

Firefox support would be super great. Firefox Quantum, which was just released, fully support and implements the chrome WebExtension protocol/format. It's likely gonna be a lot easier to make it firefox compatible when the team get to it, hopefully sooner :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@divoxx: I agree! We are super stoked about Firefox migrating to WebExtensions! I feel that reinforces our decision to start development with Google Chrome.Even Microsoft Edge has seen the light and is implementing some of the same APIs we use in 1Password for Chrome.

We are trying to take reasonable and methodical steps forward. Ultimately we care about security and privacy first, but I don't know anyone who'd want it differently.

Have a great week! :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It was a pain to update it on a few of my machines (requiring a fresh install in a couple cases — and you should see my inbox!), but so far I'm liking the new version. Firefox making this transition now is great for us, so that hopefully things settle down by the time we're able to look more closely at doing this in other browsers. Cheers! :)

• Wow does Firefox Quantum ever look amazing!

I can't make any promises as I've had very little sleep this month, but I loved Mozilla's release notes so much that I've already downloaded Quantum and will be investigating what it will take to integrate 1Password there. Fingers crossed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

Being the curious sort, I tried installing 1Password X in Firefox 57 with the help of the Chrome Store Foxified extension. it actually did install, and appeared in the browser bar. When clicking it, however, it just shunted to the web-based client. There were no errors, so I'd guess it was actually checking for the running browser and redirected. Oh well, so back to the Firefox extension for now.

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member

I don't think it should require that much to convert it to Firefox 57+ webextensions, new api are also coming in the later versions. Maybe introduce it for Firefox Quantum with 1.1/1.2 instead of 2.0 :p

• We'll see what we can do :)

First and foremost, however, we need to enjoy our launch party celebrations and then recover from said celebrations :)

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

Just want to make sure the pressure keeps going from the user side and you can port it to Firefox ASAP :)

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

I’m happy to support that! Much as I don’t want to detract from new release partying. Some of us just don’t use Chrome.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Ha! We totally understand and feel the pressure! Firefox will be a nice addition and I'll be sure to bring it up every chance I get for everyone here! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• danieldk
    danieldk
    Community Member

Thanks for the awesome work on 1Password X :) ! Being able to use 1Password on Linux using Chrom(e|ium) is a huge leap forward. It's great to hear that you are also considering Firefox Quantum. I would definitely use it...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your enthusiasm! We're really excited to have 1Password X available, but even more so by the possibilities for each new release. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.