Slow to understand 1PX

What is the intended use of 1PX? how does it differ from the apps and the 1P browser extension? Why, when, and how would I use it instead of the apps and extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good questions, @rlgleason51.

First things first, as we mentioned in the 1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser blog post:

1Password X is a radical new way of using 1Password, but it’s not (yet) for everyone.

That said, there are some reasons we think folks may be interested in trying it. If you don't mind, I may end up quoting from that post quite a bit, since I think it does a pretty good job of explaining things:

It works everywhere Chrome works, including Linux and Chrome OS.

[Y]our logins are now available directly within the webpage you are viewing!

1Password [X] anticipates what you need and shows you the options that are most relevant to your current task. If you are signing up for a new site, 1Password [X] suggests a generated password for you right then and there.

Because there’s no need to install a separate desktop app, deployment within team environments is as simple as can be. And by using multiple Chrome profiles, your team members can share the same machine while having access to their own 1Password data.

Personally, inline search is one of my favorite new additions. From Get to know 1Password X:

If you have more than one login for a site, start typing to find the one you want.

A lot of the new UI and UX in 1Password X may make its way into the 1Password extension, so in some ways it's a "preview". But the apps and extension aren't going away, so in that sense it's just one more way folks can access 1Password. Because 1Password X works everywhere Chrome works, including Linux and Chrome OS, you can be more secure in more places. :)

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I read the links and one question immediately comes to mind: does new data created in 1PX, such as logins or passwords, get populated into the apps?

I'm sure to have questions as I re-read the links.

Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

does new data created in 1PX, such as logins or passwords, get populated into the apps?

Yep. Your 1Password account is always up to date everywhere, whether you use 1Password X, the 1Password apps, or the 1Password website. It's always at your fingertips. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

To add to what Khad already said, I'm a firm believer that 1Password X is the easiest way to deploy 1Password to multiple computers. Since this is only a Chrome extension, if an organization is using something like Google Apps, admins can deploy 1Password to thousands of computers in a few clicks. Even in my house, I use multiple computers, and some of them have 5 or more virtual machines. The ability to add my 1Password account to one of my virtual machines by only visiting the Chrome web store has been a real time saver. I love our native applications and rely on them often, but sometimes I just need to log in to a few accounts on one particular machine or VM.

There are lots of use-cases, and we are hopefully filling even more of them with 1Password X!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

I long e·X·pected something like this and used a competitor because I cannot install an app when working from a PC provided to me by my customer , whereas I can often use Chrome extensions. The WebApp helped, but does not allow form filling.
    X was the missing bit. I switch to 1P!

• Welcome to our family, @Dahu! It's great to meet you :)

It's awesome to hear 1Password X is what you were looking for. Please continue to share your thoughts and experiences with us here in the forums so we can continue to grow 1Password X.

• Dahu
    Dahu
    Community Member

I have seen in many threads requests for a portable version of 1P. One of the major use cases for a portable app is “using without installation”: X does that.

• TranceMist
    TranceMist
    Community Member

This is not addressed directly anywhere, but X only works if you have a 1pw subscription and have 1pw host your data on their servers, right?
    It will not work for you if you use the standalone 1pw version and keep your vault on Dropbox.
    (here’s the real question: can 1pwX access my vault via Dropbox?)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@dahu: That's one of my favorite things about 1Password X: ease of deployment. :+1:

@TranceMist: From the 1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser blog post:

1Password X was designed for our hosted 1Password service and connects directly to your account.

If you'd like to try a 1Password membership, it's easy to sign up and migrate your data to your new account using the Mac app:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

After you set up your account, all 1Password apps, including 1Password X, stay in sync with it. :)

The good news is that 1Password X is an addition to 1Password, not a replacement for the app and extension you are already using. Oh, and if you haven't had a chance to read about 1Password X security, I'll say that one of my favorite parts is how your Secret Key keeps your 1Password account safe by adding another level of security on top of your Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.