Feature Request: Designate a default login

I know this has been discussed before. I'm hoping it may be creeping up on your roadmap. Any update to if and approximately when this may be tackled would be greatly appreciated.
When I have more than one login for a site, I would love to have the ability to designate one as the default, such that the keyboard shortcut fills in this login data automatically without me having to choose a login. If I click on the extension icon the behavior remains exactly as it stands today, with all the logins that match the URL displayed.

The multiple login issue seems even more prevalent since we switched to 1Password for Families. If someone puts a login in a shared vault I get multiple logins through no fault of my own.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jswright61: It's something we can consider, but that's a tough sell since it makes it harder to use a different login when you want to. You probably know that you can use ⌘ ⌥ \ to open 1Password mini and select a different login, but most people don't know this shortcut exists and that will make them think they've "lost" them. And, while it's something we can consider, 1Password already has some affordances that can help you if you choose to utilize them:

• Hide some of these "no fault of my own" vaults: In 1Password Preferences > All Vaults, you can uncheck vaults you don't use frequently. You can still access data in them if you select the vault explicitly, but they will not be shown in All Vaults, and therefore not interfere with your everyday login filling.
    • Use the keyboard: Pressing ⌘ \ will typically fill immediately, but if there is more than one login for the site you're visiting, it's quick and easy to use the arrow keys and hit Return to fill the one you want.
    • Use Favorites: if you select a single Favorite for a site, it will always be shown first in the list, so pressing ⌘ \ and then Return (which is right under the \ ) will get you the result you want.

Cheers! :)

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will try hiding some vaults.

As for the fear that people will think they "lost" the item if the default is filled automatically, of course some will. Just like some will think they "lost" an item if the don't show its containing vault by default. To be clear, a login would never be set to default automatically, it must be a deliberate action, and it has to be separate from Favorite which already has a different meaning. Thus it would only be used by people who are specifically looking for this behavior (and of course people who tick it by accident). The accidental defaulters could be mitigated by a modal confirmation.

Anyway, I hope I've made my case. 1Password is a great product as it is. I appreciate the thorough and timely response.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@jswright61 Thanks for your feedback. We really do appreciate it. It's passionate users like you that help us make 1Password better every day, so we really do appreciate when folks like you take the time to share their thoughts and ideas.

There are some additional considerations here that make this concept a bit more complicated. Let's say I am a web developer using Amazon Web Services and also an Amazon shopper. It would be a challenging design problem to allow a user to say, "Always give me this Login on amazon.com," because those Logins are for different systems. So, the solution to that is to limit it by subdomain, right? Well, when I go to sign in to amazon.com, what happens if Amazon uses a subdomain for their authentication flow? (The default path right now doesn't, but I have seen this on some other sites for sure. I could probably come up with an example that actually does this, but for now, I'll just ask for your trust that this kind of thing exists. :blush:) How should 1Password know that it should use that www.amazon.com Login for the subdomain, e.g. signin.amazon.com? This quickly becomes messy and more confusing even than the current sorting behavior, which, as I have mentioned before, is already quite confusing even to us 'Bits.

If you know the Login that you intend to use, I would suggest trying open and fill. You can do this from the main app by double-clicking the Login or clicking the URL inside a Login's details. You can also invoke open and fill by selecting it in 1Password mini search results (or choosing it from Favorites or tags or something like that.) Open and fill uses the Login's first website entry, so point this to the sign-in page for the site and you should be in good shape. If you can find a dedicated sign-in page, that's even better. (See for example The New York Times popup form on the main page vs the dedicated form here.) Finally, a little known feature is 1Click bookmarks. If you drag a Login from 1Password out into your browser's bookmarks, it'll create a URL that the 1Password extension recognizes and will initiate open and fill whenever you use the bookmark.

I hope that helps. Let us know!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• jswright61
    jswright61
    Community Member

@jxpx777 - thanks for taking the time for the in depth explanation! Not that I had any doubt, but I love to see a well reasoned "probably not" over a lazy "probably not" even though the end result is the same.

And thanks, particularly for the bookmark suggestion - I didn't know it and it will be helpful!

And sorry if I sound like an AgileBits fanboy, but man it wasn't enough to get one thoughtful and timely response, I got two! You people are awesome, please tell your boss that I think you deserve a raise!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Awww, thanks so much, @jswright61! It's always tough to say no. We're mostly pretty good programmers and we like solving problems that make people happy. :chuffed: But we also have to acknowledge when a particular idea isn't likely, and I think offering some insight, a little peek behind the curtain at what deliberations went into arriving at the decision goes a long way to making the answer easier to understand and accept.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

Even though I understand the technical issues behind it, I want to make sure that you know that I would appreciate a default login for the keyboard shortcut.

• @heubergen: Mostly, I can only echo Jamie's prior point that this isn't something that's likely to happen. I do appreciate the need for it -- I have several Google accounts, but 9 times out of 10, I'm signing into my personal Gmail -- but as Jamie mentioned before, there's not a truly seamless way to do this behind-the-scenes and we prefer to be honest when a feature isn't likely to be implemented rather than stringing y'all along. Of course, that's not to say it will never be considered. Technology is constantly expanding and new tools are available every day, but for the moment I'd not expect to see this any time soon.

That said, I can add one suggestion to Jamie's already wonderful list of helpful tips. If, like me, you run into extra logins in All Vaults that you're truly never going to use, you can hide logins individually with both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. Just edit the item and check Never display in browser on Windows or switch the dropdown menu to Never display ... on Mac. This doesn't solve my problem with my Google accounts, but does ensure I'm signing into my Amazon account automatically rather than having to pick between my login and my parents' login, which helps a ton. Especially now that we're approaching the holidays and I'll probably be spending a lot of time there. :wink:

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

A good idea, maybe I try it sometime.

• It's no problem at all @heubergen! I actually had never so much as looked at that setting until my folks starting dumping their shared logins in the Shared vault. I tried getting them to create their own shared vault between the two of them to eliminate clutter without luck ("Well, we don't care if you're able to access our accounts ...") so I was delighted to discover I could tidy up myself. I hope you find it helpful. :chuffed:

• davidmay
    davidmay
    Community Member

Default fills would be helpful when multiple accounts are available for the same web site. At least two cases for this exist in my world: My credit union (six personal accounts, each with its own ID and login) and AT&T (Uverse versus my cell phone).

First, I would only fill from the vault set as the default one to save to. Then I would like to see a default fill if only one choice exists. If two or more exists, then either fill the first favorite registered entry, or fill the last one used. In all cases, do not automatically log in if the setting for auto login is deactivated.

Granted, with multiple vaults and multiple accounts, it could be complicated. But with precise rules, it could be done and would be very convenient.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally. Just thinking about trying to set that up for myself if 1Password had such a feature is a bit daunting. If and when we do anything like that, it will really need to be user-friendly and crystal clear — especially since, as you point out, with multiple vaults (which is becoming more and more common with 1Password.com) it could get exponentially messy. Food for thought. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@davidmay Did you see Kate's tip about controlling which Logins display in the browser? One small tip to add to this is that you can still use open and fill to fill the Logins that you choose not to display in the browser. So, to use Kate's example, if you mostly sign in to your own Amazon account but need to have your parents' Login as well, you can still sign in to the parents' account by using open and fill from the main app.

This discussion has been closed.