Multiple personal vaults

larsenpedersen
larsenpedersen
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Families

Hi there,

I just "upgraded" to 1Password Family and have started inviting some of my family members - I am the "Family Organizer".

I have 3 vaults that I would categorise as "personal" and 1 shared vault.

If I upgrade my brother from "Family Member" to "Family Organizer", will he then be able to see/manager my multiple "personal" account as well?

I can't find any information related to this - I only see 1 vault classified as being "Personal".

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @larsenpedersen,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

If I upgrade my brother from "Family Member" to "Family Organizer", will he then be able to see/manager my multiple "personal" account as well?

Your brother would be able to add himself to these vaults (all except the default "Personal" vault), but would need to explicitly do so. So yes, ultimately some level of trust is required when adding someone as a Family Organizer.

That is the current state of things. Our team is evaluating how in the future we may be able to change this such that multiple vaults could be restricted to only one family member ever having access.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: B5 1468

• larsenpedersen
    larsenpedersen
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

Thank you for the reply.

I would be very interested in a solution for this - currently I will be sharing a vault containing company/work passwords, if I promote my brother to "Family Organizer".

Søren

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@larsenpedersen: I'm not sure why you would share a vault containing data you don't want to share. As Ben mentioned, if you store those in your Personal/Private vault, no one else can ever have access to that. If you'd still prefer to use separate vaults for some data instead of using tags and search to find things, you could always put non-work stuff in other vaults instead of the other way around. But if you don't want your brother to ever be able to access any of your data, it will all either need to be in your Personal/Private vault, need to not be an Organizer, or not part of the family plan at all.

• larsenpedersen
    larsenpedersen
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for the reply too.

I'm not sure why you would share a vault containing data you don't want to share.

That is exactly the point - I don't want to share either of those specific vaults. However I also don't want to mix up my personal passwords with my work passwords - hence the multiple vaults.

I do understand the possibilities now, but I had a hard time finding this information earlier. When I browsed the 1Password Family-information page it said:

Personal vaults let everyone keep their own private passwords and documents, all managed under a single subscription.

I didn't realize that this was referring to each person have one personal vault - My bad, I guess.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@larsenpedersen: Ah, I can see how that might be confusing. Sorry about that! We'll see if we can make it clearer without confusing things further. Thank you for the feedback!

ref: b5s-441

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I urge AgileBits to strongly consider adding the functionality of multiple private vaults per user. I too want to keep my work and private information separate. I'm divorced, but my ex-wife and I are needing to share two or three vaults related to our children's account information as well as parenting info about the kids (secure notes with info like social security numbers or whatever).

Given the divorce situation, it's important to both of us that the other person doesn't have the ability to see each other's private information. Even if only one of us was a Family Organizer, neither of us would want that access to the other's private information.

I've been using 1Password happily for years. A few years ago I bought a family license and have been trying to get my son and ex-wife to use 1Password. Now that they're doing so I find that the old style of licenses are no longer available and we're being corralled towards using 1password.com accounts (it's clearly the future, right??!).

OKAY, I'VE JUST REALIZED THAT I CAN KEEP USING MULTIPLE PRIVATE VAULTS BY LEAVING SOME OF THEM SYNCHRONIZED WITH DROPBOX. (But I fear that the day will soon come when one will HAVE TO use 1password.com accounts.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I urge AgileBits to strongly consider adding the functionality of multiple private vaults per user. I too want to keep my work and private information separate. I'm divorced, but my ex-wife and I are needing to share two or three vaults related to our children's account information as well as parenting info about the kids (secure notes with info like social security numbers or whatever).
    Given the divorce situation, it's important to both of us that the other person doesn't have the ability to see each other's private information. Even if only one of us was a Family Organizer, neither of us would want that access to the other's private information.

@ILove1P: Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback. You make some really good points. WHIle there are definitely challenges as well, I can see how it would be nice to have the ability to create additional vaults that are truly private.

I've been using 1Password happily for years. A few years ago I bought a family license and have been trying to get my son and ex-wife to use 1Password. Now that they're doing so I find that the old style of licenses are no longer available and we're being corralled towards using 1password.com accounts (it's clearly the future, right??!).

We believe that 1Password.com memberships are the future (and, really, they've been the present for a while now too for many people!) but...

OKAY, I'VE JUST REALIZED THAT I CAN KEEP USING MULTIPLE PRIVATE VAULTS BY LEAVING SOME OF THEM SYNCHRONIZED WITH DROPBOX. (But I fear that the day will soon come when one will HAVE TO use 1password.com accounts.)

We've already announced that 1Password 7 will continue to support local vaults. So, at least for the foreseeable future, that will be an option for you. Cheers! :)

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member

@brenty , Will I have to pay to upgrade my five-person version 6 license in order to use version 7 for stand-alone local vaults? :'(

• @ILove1P if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like you're using a combination of both 1Password Families and standalone vaults. In which case the upgrade to 7 would be free as the 1Password.com membership gives you all upgrades for free.

Rick

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member

@rickfillion: I hope so. I suppose the way to think about whether that is true or not is to ask yourself whether my license code would work with a version 7 app that did NOT have a 1Password Families account defined.

• @ILove1P : i don't know that the details of that have been decided yet.

Rick

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member

@brenty : With reference to your September 30 comment:

"I'm not sure why you would share a vault containing data you don't want to share. As Ben mentioned, if you store those in your Personal/Private vault, no one else can ever have access to that. If you'd still prefer to use separate vaults for some data instead of using tags and search to find things"

I suggest considering the case where one wants to reserve the ability to share a vault with others in the future (such as coworkers). Or if one wanted to be able to strip out some password items from your devices when traveling. That happens at a vault level. So organizing using tags etc just doesn't give you the flexibility that vaults do.

• Understood. Thanks for sharing that use case with us. :)

Ben

• jinoo
    jinoo
    Community Member

I use a family account and I have a use case where I want to have a vault that is manageable only by the family organizer / creator of that vault. The corollary is that other family organizers who have not created that vault should not be able to manage that vault unless given permission by the creator.

This is the use case. I want to have a separate guest/member that I use exclusively on my work laptop. It's a restricted laptop so I'm not sure what's all running there (there might even be keyloggers.) So, I would like that user to only have access to one vault associated to work. But, I do not want other members in my family to have access to it either, except for myself (family organizer). Thus, I want to be able to create a vault for the work_user and restrict access to that vault, but, also allow just one more user (myself) to have access to that same vault.

Is there an existing way to make this possible?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jinoo: It is possible to set things up like that, with a guest account which has access only to your work vault. Vault permissions are configurable by an Organizer however.

• jinoo
    jinoo
    Community Member

The other constraint is that other organizer(s) can access the vault if they desire to, but, I would like to restrict access to other organizer(s) alltogether.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jinoo: Yep. That's why I mentioned that Organizers can set the permissions. I don't know that we'll be changing that in 1Password Families. It's something we can consider, but that could cause a ton of confusion for a lot of people. And we already have 1Password Teams which includes these kinds of more granular permissions.

• jinoo
    jinoo
    Community Member

Can I confirm if this would only be available for Pro, not Standard in 1password team?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jinoo: Can you be more specific? You can find more details about the differences in the Pro plan here:

1Password Teams: Pro plan features

But let me know if there's something in particular you want to know. :)

• jinoo
    jinoo
    Community Member

The granular permission of allowing a guest to have access to a vault while limiting the access to that vault to a limited number of highest access level individuals in the team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jinoo: Ah, yes. Not so explicitly in that way, but that would certainly be possible with custom groups — a Pro plan feature. However, depending on the standard groups you assign Team members to, you could accomplish the same thing with the Standard plan: regular team members will not have the ability to manage vault permissions:

Use the built-in groups in 1Password Teams

Cheers! :)

• bartmax
    bartmax
    Community Member

I have personal and work stuff and I don't want to share to family members and I don't want to have both mixed up.
    Bad design.

• Hi @bartmax,

You can accomplish that currently by having separate 1Password.com accounts for your personal (1Password Families) and work (1Password Teams).

Ben

• bartmax
    bartmax
    Community Member

@ben stop always putting yourself into defensive mode instead of understanding the problem/issue...
    you know I don't want that, as many other already stated lots of valid reasons.

it's a bad design and I hope it gets fixed. You know it, I know it, everybody gets it... no need for me to explain to you, you know it way better than me.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017

@bartmax,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree there is room for improvement here.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bartmax: Like opinions, not everyone has the same workflow and preferences: your "reasons" are no more or less valid than anyone else's. And both can be expressed without being rude. Please keep that in mind in the future when posting.

• bartmax
    bartmax
    Community Member

@brenty i didn't mean to be rude and I apologies for that. It wasn't my intention, guess I expressed my frustration with this issue. What I do tried to point out is that avoiding the subject doesn't solve the problem.

Regards your point about ppl having different opinions and different workflows, I'm not saying "my reasons" are more valid than anyone else's, what many people ask (incld me) is not about removing something from others, it's about adding the option. If other's workflow doesn't want that option they can just not use it. Does it make sense?

• It does. Thanks! We'll continue to look for ways that we can improve in this regard. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Ben

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member

Apologies if there is a better place to add to this - but I am also very interested in multiple personal vaults for members of a family account.

I have accounts that I want to be able to remove for travel, and aren't appropriate to be shared with my family (social media, banking, government logins, etc).

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

The simplest solution is to use tags @xeyr. This solves your problem without having multiple vaults and removes any issue of having a Family Organiser being able to add himself to the vault.

This discussion has been closed.