Text size and wrapping on Apple Watch

This discussion was created from comments split from: Items not showing on Apple Watch.

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Whilst I'm here @brenty, maybe I might request some enhancements to the Watch app that both relate to font size.

In the items list, would you consider wrapping the text for the item title to two lines or having it scroll after a few seconds? I had a couple of items that started with the same characters making it impossible to distinguish between them. Of course this situation is easy to work around.

Also, would you consider using a bigger font on the actual password display? I mostly use this feature for PINs and struggle to read them without having to fish for reading glasses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Whilst I'm here @brenty, maybe I might request some enhancements to the Watch app that both relate to font size. In the items list, would you consider wrapping the text for the item title to two lines or having it scroll after a few seconds? I had a couple of items that started with the same characters making it impossible to distinguish between them. Of course this situation is easy to work around. Also, would you consider using a bigger font on the actual password display? I mostly use this feature for PINs and struggle to read them without having to fish for reading glasses.

@Penelope Pitstop: I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to split this comment off into a new discussion so we can focus on these feature requests. I am, however, lumping these together because they seem pretty interconnected, and I think that if we can focus on the use case we could find something that helps more people.

These are definitely things we can consider as we develop future versions of 1Password for Apple Watch. As someone who uses it a LOT (both with 1Password and many other apps — and on a 38mm, at that), I can definitely appreciate that sometimes better handling of text is needed.

As a point of reference, could you tell me how you have things setup? For example, in Settings > Brightness & Text Size, what do you have there? 1-6? Bold? Also, you mentioned specifically passwords. Do you find that the text size is sufficient for the most part, but that you'd like larger text only for passwords? And would you perhaps like text wrapping in specific areas, but not others? That's my sense from your comments, but I don't want to assume anything. It really helps to have a clear sense for how people are using 1Password on their Apple Watches. I have a pretty good sense for how I do, but I suspect my preferences aren't universal. :)

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

For example, in Settings > Brightness & Text Size, what do you have there? 1-6? Bold?

I have everything to max and bold on.

Also, you mentioned specifically passwords. Do you find that the text size is sufficient for the most part, but that you'd like larger text only for passwords? And would you perhaps like text wrapping in specific areas, but not others?

For context, I use 1Password to store PIN codes as password items on Watch. They range from four to eight characters. I would find it helpful if the text of those codes were easier to read. For my eyes, the thin, small and coloured font on the black background is hard to read. For me, this enhancement would represent a significant improvement in utility akin to the unambiguous coloured font and password ruler.

The text size for item titles in the list is great but, almost all of mine get truncated. When I first started using 1Password on Watch, my masterfully cunning naming scheme that prefixed all work related items with the same string for easy search proved to be quite useless for my wrist. :)

I was suggesting that if the item names wrapped or scrolled then I wouldn’t have to work around it by renaming. We’re talking about a minor cosmetic enhancement on this point, but I know you Agilebitsies like a bit of quality. Don’t know if there is anything in the APIs that could be easily exploited for this.

Have I answered your questions well enough?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Have I answered your questions well enough?

@Penelope Pitstop: Absolutely! Thank you! :chuffed:

I had kind of picked up on a lot of this from your earlier comments, but it's good to get confirmation — especially with regard to your text settings, as they're more aggressive than I wold have guessed. :lol:

The text size for item titles in the list is great but, almost all of mine get truncated. When I first started using 1Password on Watch, my masterfully cunning naming scheme that prefixed all work related items with the same string for easy search proved to be quite useless for my wrist. :)

This!!

I was suggesting that if the item names wrapped or scrolled then I wouldn’t have to work around it by renaming.

Loud and clear!!

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is the right solution, but I guess I'm sort of thinking of this in terms of how we use the Large Type feature in the other apps. Except I think that maybe data on Apple Watch, given its screen size, should "default" to Large Type — sort of like if you cut a Large Type password out of your iPhone screen and glued it to your watch...but less horrible. Again, not sure that's the right thing, or that you and I wouldn't be the only ones who didn't hate it, but it's a thought. Cheers! :)

ref: OPI-4318

This discussion has been closed.