Items not showing on Apple Watch

Fix
Fix
Community Member

I updated to the latest version of 1Password few days ago and after the update, items tagged for the Watch were not displaying on the Watch anymore. I had to tag a new item for Watch to make everything display again. It is an old problem that I had before (with previous versions) and I thought it would be fixed by now.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Fix: Hmm. I thought that was fixed too. I had that problem a lot myself, especially with the early betas. It's possible that watchOS was just caching some stale data, but if it happens again, definitely generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Crypto, Database, Keychain, SQLite, and Watch App.

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Cheers! :)

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

It's not working for me either, and the workaround @Fix used doesn't solve the problem. Nor does toggling the enable Apple Watch setting or reinstalling the app on the Watch fix it. Have sent diagnostic report referencing my forum user name. #YIQ-69445-317

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@Penelope Pitstop: Thanks for sending that! I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to reply here in case it helps others with a similar issue (never heard back from the original poster).

It can certainly be confusing, because 1Password for Apple Watch will have the same issue any time it isn't receiving data...and there is often no way of knowing why. This could be because the Pro upgrade is not present, the Apple Watch feature is disabled, no supported items have been added, or there is simply no communication from the iPhone (mine seems to stall sometimes until I restart it).

But first, you'll need to have installed 1Password for iOS itself (using the correct Apple ID for Pro Features, or a 1Password.com membership) to be able to restore the purchase there (1Password Settings > Pro Features > Restore). Double-check to verify that it's showing as purchased there in the first pace, as otherwise it simply won't work.

Next, make sure that 1Password Settings > Apple Watch > Enable Apple Watch is on.

Then, you need to choose Add to Apple Watch for each item you want to show there.

Provided those conditions are met, if you're still having trouble, please do the following:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set "Show on Apple Watch" to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set "Enable Apple Watch" to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)*
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off (you'll need to disconnect the power temporarily to do this)
    8. Then, after backing up any local vaults and ensuring you know the Master Password, uninstall 1Password for iOS from your iPhone, hold the iPhone's Lock Button, and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch, that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning), and that 1Password is not shown on the iPhone either
    11. Install a fresh copy of 1Password on the iPhone, and in 1Password Settings set "Enable Apple Watch" to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set "Show on Apple Watch" to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...
    14. Add a new item to Apple Watch by toggling the option in its details.

Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

ref: YIQ-69445-317

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

No problem @brenty.

I had done all the initial checks you mentioned.

I’ll go through the procedure you suggest. Regarding step 11, was there a footnote indicated by the asterisk missing and is it OK to use the latest beta from TestFlight?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Penelope Pitstop: Ah, thank you. Asterisk removed. That was a typo. :blush:

The latest beta should work...but I admit to having trouble there myself, perhaps due to the way that Testflight builds change the way that Apple Watch apps are installed. So I'm glad you mentioned it. Sometimes it tells me I have to install from the Testflight app if I try to do so from within the Apple Watch iPhone app, so definitely check both when uninstalling to make sure one or the other isn't hung up. I wish I could give you better guidance in this regard, but I've been fighting with this the past few days myself.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty I'm happy to report that the procedure worked, thank you.

That said, the feature shouldn't be breaking so easily.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you make this more reliable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty I'm happy to report that the procedure worked, thank you.

@Penelope Pitstop: Awesome! You're totally welcome. Thanks so much for letting me know! :chuffed:

That said, the feature shouldn't be breaking so easily. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you make this more reliable.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately we just aren't able to control the app experience to a greater degree. The same is true on and iPhone or iPad, but it seems that the extra layer of abstraction (iOS installs watch apps remotely from the phone) makes things a bit more brittle. We see issues like this on iOS occasionally as well, but this is much more common on watchOS — and not at all limited to 1Password. I use my Apple Watch extensively, and (even with a ton of improvement in reliability in versions 3 and 4) often have trouble with inoperable apps and "ghosts". I have no doubt that Apple will continue to improve the experience, but we aren't in a position to make installation and data transfer more consistent; all of that is handled at the OS level. If we do gain more control over these things in the future though, we will definitely take advantage of that. Perhaps someday all Apple Watches will have their own internet connection, and they can function completely without an iPhone, so that apps could be installed there directly, eliminating some potential points of failure. :blush:

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Please don’t take this harshly. I accept that we are still in the early stages of maturity in WatchOS. However, I have had 1Password for Watch break several times from release to release. This episode was just the most comprehensive example that I was unable to recover from without your help. I haven’t had the same experience with some other third-party apps that share extensive data between iPhone and the Watch. That said, there aren’t many that I find as useful as 1Password. I’m sure you will be doing all you can to make the experience as smooth as possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Please don’t take this harshly. I accept that we are still in the early stages of maturity in WatchOS. However, I have had 1Password for Watch break several times from release to release. This episode was just the most comprehensive example that I was unable to recover from without your help. I haven’t had the same experience with some other third-party apps that share extensive data between iPhone and the Watch. That said, there aren’t many that I find as useful as 1Password. I’m sure you will be doing all you can to make the experience as smooth as possible.

@Penelope Pitstop: That doesn't seem harsh at all. I think I might have harsher words had I had the same experience with regard to 1Password, but not other apps. We want it to be a seamless, friction-free experience, and I'm sorry it hasn't been that way for you (and certainly others — myself included). We won't give up on doing everything we can to make it better. Thanks for holding us to that standard. :blush:

I am also curious what you meant by "from release to release". Have you experienced issues primarily after 1Password updates, iOS updates, or both? I can't say I've noticed a pattern myself. If you're not sure, that's fine. I just figured I'd ask in case you picked up on something I didn't.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

:)

I haven't tracked it methodically, but I think it is mostly associated with 1Password updates. I'll make a note of it and submit feedback if and when it happens again. Keep up the good work and thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thank you! I feel like that may be the case for me as well, but I feel like my experience may be skewed by running the betas (of which there are many more updates). I really appreciate that info! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.