Secret Key apparently synced through extension

Can you guys confirm that the Secret Key shouldn't be synced to other computers through the extension and my Google Account? Here it says "Like your Master Password, your Secret Key is never sent to us. It’s also not included when you sync extensions to your Google Account."

But after I installed 1Password X in one computer, manually entered my Secret Key, and opened Chrome a second computer to do the same, when the extension was installed (automatically, synced through my Google Account), it already had my Secret Key there and I just had to input my master password. That must mean that the Secret Key was synced together with the extension, no?

I really want to be wrong somewhere here :), but I can't immediately think of any other explanation.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 1.0.1 (1Password X)
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good news, @alexvy86! You actually are wrong. Your Secret Key isn't synced with your extensions, but I'd bet you've signed into your 1Password account in Chrome before on the second computer, but not on the first. Your Secret Key is cached locally in your browser, so you'll only need to enter your Master Password in a browser you've used to sign in before. In a browser that hasn't been used to access your account, you'll need to enter your Secret Key.

If you'd like to do some testing yourself, you can remove 1Password X from Chrome, then clear your browser cache (note that this will cause you to be signed out of any sites you have set to keep you signed in). Make sure you're clearing far enough back to cover the first time you signed into your account. Add 1Password X to Chrome again, then try to sign in. You'll see a blank sign-in form with nothing filled. Don't sign in here and instead, sign in to your account in a new tab in Chrome. Try signing in to 1Password X again and you'll see just your Master Password is requested. Pretty cool, huh? :chuffed:

When you've signed into your account via Chrome in the past, it may look like your Secret Key is synced, but this is just an elaborate illusion achieved using only local data. :+1:

• alexvy86
    alexvy86
    Community Member

Oh, that makes sense, thanks! And to be clear, this is when I've signed in to my 1Password account through the browser, correct? Not through the "regular" (not 1Password X) extension? I ask because I honestly can't remember if I had previously signed in to the site in both computers (perfectly believable that I hadn't in one), but both had the previous extension.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Oh, that makes sense, thanks! And to be clear, this is when I've signed in to my 1Password account through the browser, correct?

Yep, that's exactly right. 1Password X and the 1Password website both use the same stored Secret Key.

This discussion has been closed.