Vault question

One of our vaults has been emptied and I need it restored. How do I do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:One of our vaults has been emptied and I need it restored. How do I do that?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ginny-pitcher Sorry to hear you've got an inadvertently-emptied vault. The easiest fix for this will be if the vault still exists, and someone has just trashed the logins -- you can check this by signing into your account in a browser, then opening that vault by itself (as opposed to the All Vaults view), and looking at the trash. 1Password does not delete items permanently unless you explicitly tell it to -- sending items to the trash doesn't do it. So, if there are items in the trash, you can Restore them.

If someone's already emptied the Trash, you'll see a button called View Archived Items from which you can also restore deleted items.

If the actual vault itself has been deleted, let us know.

• william9
    william9
    Community Member

The functionality of Archived items is not well described in AgileBits user information -- please clarify or confirm how Trash and Archived work.
    If I understand correctly from Lars post above and other info in support pages that there are 2 levels of getting rid of unwanted items. The first is moving to Trash (which never actually deletes the item from the vault) and Empty Trash which deletes (archives) ALL of the trashed items -- not just the selected one. The items that were archived by emptying the trash can be restored if one first selects a single vault, clicks the Trash item count, and then clicks on View Archived Items. I read somewhere that Archived (emptied trash) items are only restorable for one year.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@william9: I'm not sure I understand what you need help with. You can restore to a previous version of an item with the Item History feature:

View and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts

And you can also view Archived Items in the Trash. 1Password Families and individual accounts keep history for a full year. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• william9
    william9
    Community Member

This is what I need help with: It's not clear to me how the user Archives an item. I have nearly 300 items in the Trash -- but none are Archived. There is a button that says "Empty Trash". I haven't dared click that button. Does that button empty all 300 items from Trash - or just the selected item? If I do empty trash, does that move the items from Trash to Archived -- or does it simply permanently delete my 300 Trash items?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is what I need help with: It's not clear to me how the user Archives an item. I have nearly 300 items in the Trash -- but none are Archived. There is a button that says "Empty Trash". I haven't dared click that button.

@william9: Yep. That's it. Items are "Archived" when you empty the Trash. It's a safety net in case you make an "oops".

Does that button empty all 300 items from Trash - or just the selected item?

"Empty Trash" empties the Trash completely. Those items will be Archived until they expire.

If I do empty trash, does that move the items from Trash to Archived -- or does it simply permanently delete my 300 Trash items?

Emptying the Trash Archives those items. Archived items will be permanently deleted once they expire — one year for 1Password Families and individual accounts.

• william9
    william9
    Community Member

Now it's clear to me. Thank you.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update @william9. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member

@william9 If you discover how the user managed to delete 300 items unintentionally, please let the rest of us know?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DariusR: I'm not seeing where they said that, but I will be the first to admit to deleting things accidentally. ⌘ Delete is a very useful hotkey in Finder too, and when I had the wrong window focused... The good news is that there is no such shortcut for skipping the Trash: using 1Password in any environment will result in deleted items being sent to the Trash, and a user would have to manually empty that in order to lose them for good in a local vault; in a 1Password.com vault, they will still be Archived for a time (how long that is depends on the plan chosen).

This discussion has been closed.