Second 1Password instance occasionally created when Firefox is opened

Options
pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

Sometimes when I open Firefox (I'm using v57), a second instance of 1Password is temporarily created. I'm currently using the latest 1Password for Window's beta (6.8.473).

When this happens, the 1Password window briefly appears, like it does on start-up in recent betas, and a second 1Password icon is created in the system tray (see pic below - I have 1Password setup in the tray's overspill section).

When I mouse-hover over this newly-created icon, it disappears straight-away.

I have a hunch it has something to do with launching Firefox after 1Password has locked after a period of idle-usage but, as this problem is very intermittent (I might only notice it once or twice during a 1-2 hour session), I'm not entirely sure?

I think I've only started to notice this because, in the latest betas, the 1Password window also appears briefly when this happens (I've observed multiple 1P icons in the system tray in the past).

Any help in getting to the bottom of this mystery, would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks, Paul

1Password Version: 6.8.473
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10 x64 1709
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• @pbryanw: This actually means 1Password is quitting at some point. Essentially, every time 1Password launches, a new icon is created and Windows (annoyingly) doesn't nuke the old ones until you mouse over them. This is normal behavior, but 1Password quitting isn't (unless you purposefully quit 1Password, of course). It should continue to run in the background, even with Firefox and the main app window closed, and wait for you to need it again. I assume you don't see any sort of error message when this occurs? You aren't quitting 1Password entirely before this happens either?

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@bundtkate - Hi, thanks for your explanation, that makes sense now :+1: So, somewhere along the line 1Password is quitting for some reason, leaving behind an orphan tray icon, and when I open Firefox it launches from fresh again, creating the new one.

Yep, I have 1Password set to start automatically when I sign into Windows and I'm not quitting 1Password on purpose, or entirely, before this issue happens. I'm also not seeing any error message, unless you mean to look in Event Viewer when this occurs?

I'll try and keep an eye on what I'm doing when this next happens, and I'd be happy to try any troubleshooting steps if it will get to the bottom of this :+1:

Thanks, Paul

• @pbryanw: Event Viewer is actually a good place to find clues, but a tough thing to navigate when this is happening silently. You're only seeing symptoms when you launch Firefox and that may well be a long time after 1Password has already quit making it tough to find the relevant error, particularly given these things are often caused by third-party interference rather than 1Password itself. Let's start by looking at some diagnostics:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your e-mail:

[#CZT-46918-673]

This will make sure I see your diagnostics when they arrive.

To others reading: This Support ID is for pbryanw only. If you are not pbraynw and are having a similar issue, let us know and we will create a separate Support ID for you. :chuffed:

ref: CZT-46918-673

This discussion has been closed.