Error: 1Password Installer Will Not Allow App to Be Installed In My iMac's Applications Folder

ecotts64
ecotts64
Community Member

I'm running Chrome 61.0.3163.91 on an iMac (OS X 10.9.5), and the 1Password installer is not allowing me to install/download the 1Password app into the default folder (Applications). At the installer's "Destination Select" stage, I am getting a grayed out "How do you want to install this software?" section and then an error message below that, which reads: "You cannot install 1Password in this location. The 1Password installer does not allow its software to be installed here." The only option I have is to use the "Go Back" button (the "Continue" button is grayed out, too). When I go back, it seems like the Applications folder is the non-changeable default location for installation. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.8.3.pkg
Extension Version: 6.8.3.pkg
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ecotts64: I went ahead and moved your thread into the Mac topic since your question specifically concerns the Mac app and folks here will be better equipped to help. I see you're attempting to install 1Password 6 for Mac on a Mac running OS X 10.9.5. 1Password 6 requires at least 10.10, so you won't be able to use 1Password 6 on this iMac unless you're able to update. That said, it looks like any Mac that can run Mavericks (10.9) is able to run Yosemite (10.10), so if you're willing to upgrade your OS on this Mac, I expect you'll be all set. :+1:

• ecotts64
    ecotts64
    Community Member

Awesome. Thanks! I'll give that a whirl. I overlooked that when trying to install ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Bonified
    Bonified
    Community Member

And if we we are unwilling to update our entire OS to run your app is 1Password 4 available?

• @Bonified: There are many reasons to update macOS when you can beyond 1Password, security not least among them. That said, I understand some folks have a specific need to use an older operating system or use devices that can't be updated and 1Password 4 is still available to download on our downloads page if needed. Click the link below the download button that says Using OS X Mavericks or earlier? and you'll find it there. Do note, though, that we are no longer updating 1Password 4. It's already incompatible with the latest Firefox and Chrome and will likely lose compatibility with Safari in the near future, so there will be a point at which it's no longer a viable option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

macOS updates have also been free for years, and include a ton of important security improvements (in addition to new features and compatibility — to say nothing of browser security), so you really could do a lot worse. You can find more details here:

1Password 4 legacy support information

• goosy2001
    goosy2001
    Community Member

I was having the same issue, however I had all the latest updates. So I don't think the OS is the problem. What solved it, was patience. While I came over here looking for a solution, it fixed itself. It just took a couple mins. When I went back, the options were not greyed out anymore. I was able to select an option, move forward and now its installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If it wasn't the OS, I don't know what else it could have been since we definitely didn't change anything in 1Password to affect this, but I'm glad you took the time to share your experience — and that it's working for you now. Cheers! :)

• bob__
    bob__
    Community Member

On a fresh High Sierra install (10.13.3 with supplemental update), it seems to take a few moments — possibly a couple minutes — for the installer to recognize that it has permission to install. Initially, both the "Install for all users" and "Install for only this user" options were greyed out for me. Like goosy2001, I got the error, spent a couple minutes googling for a solution, and then went back to check the installer and all was well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bob__: I hadn't ever really thought about it, but you're right: it isn't instantaneous for me either. That's a great point! I guess I'm just used to waiting, maybe because my old Mac is generally getting pretty sluggish overall these days. Cheers! :)

• ecotts64
    ecotts64
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I'm on an iMac running Chrome and trying to install the 1Password app. Unfortunately, I keep getting the following error -- "You cannot install 1Password in this location. the 1Password installer does not allows its software to be installed here."

I've already installed the Chrome extension. I'm assuming that there's something wrong since installers always default software apps to the Applications folder, but this one won't. And there is no way for me to change the default location of the install on the 1Password installer itself (and it doesn't seem like that should be the solution since the app should go into the Applications folder). Thanks in advance for any tips!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
    Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
    OS Version: Chrome 65.0.3325.181
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ecotts64
    ecotts64
    Community Member

Sorry. I see that I already asked this question -- some time ago -- and got the answer in another thread. Brain cramp. Doh!

• No worries, @ecotts64. I merged the two threads. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.