Family setup approach

ret4
ret4
Community Member

Greetings,

My wife and I are long-time users of 1Password (pre-dating the subscription model). Recently, due to a death in the extended family, we've started thinking about having critical information available amongst family members. For instance, having our parents and siblings have some sort of access to credentials. I had the thought that 1Password would be a perfect fit, but I'm trying to understand how the Families product works. Would it make sense to have a shared vault that stores the credentials of the other users? Then our private vaults are where we normally work?

Does that approach make sense? Is there another one that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Rob

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ret4: Anything you put in the Shared vault would be available to everyone at all times. If you're comfortable with always sharing your account credentials, that's not a problem per se, but given your interest is in having this info specifically accessible in emergencies, your better bet might be to keep a copy of your Emergency Kit with your Master Password noted on it somewhere safe and accessible under the proper circumstances to those who might need it. I often recommend a safe deposit box.

You could also keep the logins for sites and services your family members may need to access in an emergency in your Shared vault in addition to keeping your Emergency Kit somewhere they can access under the right circumstances. This way, they have access to the most important stuff at all times but can only access your account in its entirety when truly necessary. Ultimately, though, it's up to you what you're comfortable with sharing. No matter how your family accesses them, your e-mail, Master Password and Secret Key will always be enough to grant them access to your account. :+1:

• ret4
    ret4
    Community Member

Thanks! Safety deposit boxes can be a challenge (if I have my emergency kit in my safety deposit box and I pass away unexpectedly, someone has to get access to that which can take time). I suppose I could print a copy of my emergency kit and put it into the rest of the families safety deposit boxes (e.g. my parents and siblings could keep a copy their).

Does the password recovery allow a family organizer to get access to someone else's private vault? If my sister and I were family organizers and my parents passed away, would we be able to get in, or would we need some/all of their email, master password, and secret key (and if some, which combinations)?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! Safety deposit boxes can be a challenge (if I have my emergency kit in my safety deposit box and I pass away unexpectedly, someone has to get access to that which can take time). I suppose I could print a copy of my emergency kit and put it into the rest of the families safety deposit boxes (e.g. my parents and siblings could keep a copy their).

@ret4: That's an excellent point. Certainly it depends on your wishes. Personally I'd rather just give a family member or lawyer the key. :)

Does the password recovery allow a family organizer to get access to someone else's private vault? If my sister and I were family organizers and my parents passed away, would we be able to get in, or would we need some/all of their email, master password, and secret key (and if some, which combinations)?

No. This isn't something we facilitate. Literally the only person who ever has access to your Personal/Private vault's contents is you, or someone you give your account credentials. So it's entirely at your discretion. We are not the gatekeepers of your data; only you are. :)

This discussion has been closed.