To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Emergency Kit suggestions

Options
ILove1P
ILove1P
Community Member

Minor ideas: (1) make the Master Password field in the pdf editable (i.e. make the pdf a form document) (2) change the document so it doesn't suck up a lot of ink when printed (not everyone knows how to change their print settings to grayscale (which may screw with the scannable code?))
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ILove1P: We definitely have no plans to have people enter their Master Passwords digitally to save insecurely like that, but we can certainly consider adding a link to print documentation. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Y'all suggest that folks save a copy to USB stick. That copy will be lacking the master password.

• @ILove1P: First off, I love your username. As for your Emergency Kit, I actually can (and do) enter my Master Password on mine. Granted, this is on Windows using Adobe Acrobat (free version), so your mileage may vary elsewhere. PDFs can be fun like that as you'll see different behavior in different environments and there's no shortage of PDF readers in the world. On Adobe, you need to let it enable some accessibility features to allow this, but it does let you type it in. And, before @brenty yells at me, definitely don't save this unencrypted on your hard drive. Mine lives on a USB key, as you mentioned, but so long as it's secret and safe, I'm a happy camper. How is up to you. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I keep my Master Password in my brain. To each his or her own! ;)

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Sometimes people die and their executor needs to get at all of the data stored in the deceased's copy of 1Password.

• @ILove1P : you're right, that's actually big use case for the emergency kit. Its name (Emergency Kit) actually comes from a concept a user had come up with for doing exactly that to help people before 1Password.com. It was a document that contained all of the info someone would need to save in hardcopy form so that in the event of their passing someone else could access their account.

It's a fine line for us to walk though... I see why you're requesting it, and it makes sense. But by the same token we don't want to encourage people to put their Master Password into a document file that isn't then stored securely somewhere like a USB stick that's put in a safe. This is why we encourage users to print them. You're more likely to realize the security implications of a physical thing than something digital. People like to assume that their own computers are safe, but often times they aren't.

Rick

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion: I've been managing computers since 1989. I'm much more concerned about the data about me and millions of other people sitting on Experian, Yahoo or other corporate servers being stolen. Company web sites which save your credit card information without giving you the option to delete it. There are tons and tons of places where sensitive personal and financial data are stored. Yes, there are many eggs in our 1Password baskets. But I think this whole concern can be dealt with by simply adding a few more (stern) sentences to the Emergency Kit document or instructions for creating it.

We've said enough about this idea. It wasn't that critical of a suggestion.

• Agreed on all points. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.