Separate password to unlock Mini?

I use a long complicated master password because I expect to only have to use it at login with my config. Having to use this for the mini every X minutes makes me want to change it to something simpler. Maybe to avoid people like me from doing this offer a separate password to unlock the mini that is not the master password. Also less exposure to the master password is better and reduces its attack surface.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @neal007,

It's an interesting proposal. I do want to mention that you posted this in the 1Password X category, and 1Password mini is not available in 1Password X. 1Password mini is part of the Mac and Windows apps. But I'll assume you just meant 1Password X instead of 1Password mini. (Let me know if I'm wrong.)

There are a couple reasons why we probably won't add a second password:

• It's called 1Password not 2Password. :lol:
    • Touch ID and Face ID are great in these cases.

Now, 1Password X doesn't currently support Touch ID on your Mac, but it’s something we definitely want to add in the future. Of course, there are no Chrome APIs provided for Touch ID. There isn’t even support for Touch ID in Safari. So in order to bring this feature to 1Password X, we’d need to integrate tightly with 1Password for Mac. But that just means more fun in development! :)

In the meantime, we are looking at introducing more robust auto-lock settings, so you can adjust your settings to align the way 1Password X works with the way you do.

• neal007
    neal007
    Community Member

@khad I'm talking about the chrome button we have to unlock after a set period of time - 1Password X.

I suggest that it requires the 1Password be unlocked as before. Then if there is a timeout allow us to unlock it with the master password or an alternative password for the browser button only. This still keeps the master authentication requirement but allows us to more easily unlock the browser integration.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm talking about the chrome button we have to unlock after a set period of time - 1Password X.

Perfect. Then, yep, that is 1Password X. But I now see you are making a distinction between unlocking to use the 1Password X inline menus and the 1Password X pop-up.

From a security perspective that wouldn't really make any sense because someone with access to the inline menus has access to the same passwords that are in the pop-up. Or maybe I'm not understanding your use case…?

• Hmmm... I think I noticed similar behavior, And it just might be unexpected. The original chrome extension used native messaging to connect to the native app, right? But the new X app doesn’t . So you end up signing in twice when you sign into the app and then want to use my password X. I meant to take a closer look at this tonight and see if I was right, but I think this is what is referring to and if it’s true I’ll probably switch back to the other extension. If I’m wrong sorry didn’t mean to hijack

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious:

The original chrome extension used native messaging to connect to the native app, right? But the new X app doesn’t.

Correct.

So you end up signing in twice when you sign into the app and then want to use my password X.

Also, correct.

1Password X doesn't currently have any form of communication to 1Password for Mac or Windows. We do have big plans for making unlocking way more comfortable in the future, but frankly, that just wasn't a priority for 1Password X. We were less concerned about native app communication, Touch ID support, etc. because we already have an excellent extension that fills those needs. 1Password X is our battleground for new ideas (insert spartan battle cry here). Therefore many features that are commonplace to 1Password just won't exist until we're done fulfilling our vision. This is an excellent tradeoff for some, and for everyone else, we're still actively developing the 1Password Extension.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have additional questions. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Thanks. Misunderstood features look broken at first glance... :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem! Generally I'd recommend using the 1Password Mac or Windows app + extension or 1Password X. 1Password X is most useful currently in cases where you can't install a native app — like Linux, Chrome OS, company policy... But as Beyer mentioned, that may change in the future as we continue making it more powerful. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.