To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

is there a difference between 1password.com and 1password.eu?

Comments

• @sf105 : I agree.

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: I'm not seeing anything in our inbox from this address. Please tell me the Support ID you received. I'll be happy to take a look. :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

Hello @brenty it’s KHA-84159-798

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: KHA-84159-798

• hubers
    hubers
    Community Member

@ all@AB
    I just found out about 1password.eu incidentially by logging in to 1password.com.
    Wow! This is an additional christmas present to me!

Having a chance to get my 1password data out of North America (sorry Canadians) is great news for a german customer.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hubers: Merry Christmas! Thanks for taking the time to let us share in your excitement! :chuffed:

Indeed, while it was kind of a quiet rollout, we've now got 1Password.com (US), 1Password.ca (Canada), and 1Password.eu (Germany) available as options. If nothing else, you'll probably see even better performance when signing into your account on a server closer to you. Cheers! :)

• kosmiq
    kosmiq
    Community Member

So another question on this. I signed up for a .com account with annual billing. And then a few weeks later I noticed the EU option. As a resident in the EU I'd prefer that, but I've already paid for ~10 remaining months on .com.

Is there any change to "transfer" that, or do I either see it as lost money or wait until my next annual billing is coming around?

• mhyar
    mhyar
    Community Member

Hi @kosmiq!

@brenty's reply to @telephoneman may help you. Ultimately it is possible, and seems like the good folks here can help you transfer your account over so you don't lose anything. But you will have to migrate your data over.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kosmiq - Since this will involve personally-identifying details about your 1Password setup, I've sent you a quick email to the email address you used to register for this forum; let's continue the conversation there.

• kosmiq
    kosmiq
    Community Member

So for everyone wondering about this. I got contacted by @Lars via email. I was given some steps (sign up for eu, log in on a device, share/move items to new account, and then delete old account). Please do not delete if you haven't been in contact with support I guess. Then I got my remaining credits transferred to my eu account.

Everything was super smooth and fast. I couldn't be happier! Many thanks for great help and support! The instructions were super clear.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kosmiq - glad everything went smoothly; it was a pleasure assisting you. Your directions are spot-on; if anyone reading this thread would like (or needs) to do what kosmiq has done - transition from a 1password.com account to a 1Password.eu account - then write in to us at support@agilebits.com and let us know. Cheers, everyone! :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Yep , I did it successful, got my balance transferred and now happy user of 1Password EU cloud since months already

• Wonderful, @telephoneman! :smile: Let us know if you have some other questions.

• sebastian_bauer
    sebastian_bauer
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

I'm already in touch via mail with your support regarding this topic as well. What might be of interest for other as well are the different prices. Where it is 4,99 USD for 1Password.com for a Families account it's 4,75 EUR for 1Password.eu.

What's still a big question is what's written here (https://support.1password.com/manage-subscription/): "1Password.eu (EUR): You can pay with credit cards. Taxes are included."

Since VAT (Germany) comes always on top, what does "Taxes are included." really mean? For me it sounds like paying taxes twice.

ref: XMM-78832-911

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

I'm already in touch via mail with your support regarding this topic as well. What might be of interest for other as well are the different prices.

@sebastian_bauer: Indeed, and those may change over time, especially if currencies fluctuate significantly. I know Apple updates theirs occasionally if you're paying through the App Store as well, and their pricing tiers in general work differently.

Since VAT (Germany) comes always on top, what does "Taxes are included." really mean?

It means that not everyone lives in Germany or other places that work that way, so our pricing does not reflect tax at all unless you're 1) signed into your account and 2) have provided billing information. When we have the information needed to show pricing including tax, we do.

For me it sounds like paying taxes twice.

How so? You're only charged once, including taxes where applicable, for each billing period.

• sebastian_bauer
    sebastian_bauer
    Community Member

How so? You're only charged once, including taxes where applicable, for each billing period.

What I wrote in my message: "1Password.eu (EUR): You can pay with credit cards. Taxes are included." This "Taxes are included." is mentioned only for EU. But when there is something included, there is no reason to add that again to the bill.

My question is still, what "Taxes are included." mean for EU. This is written on your page without information about the country of the user (https://support.1password.com/manage-subscription/ - Start your subscription).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sebastian_bauer: Are you seeing the same charge for taxes enumerated more than once on your invoice? It should be itemized, but I'm not sure I understand why that would be a bad thing. Can you elaborate? What is the difficulty you're having?

• sebastian_bauer
    sebastian_bauer
    Community Member

Well, there must be any reason why you mention it explicit, that "Taxes are included" for EU location on your website. I'm not talking about any invoice or something. Just what this sentence means on your website, because it's not mentioned for US or CA location.

I know the handling of taxes is so different from country to country. That's why I want to understand this phrase. If it has no meaning it all, it shouldn't be there. ;-)

On the other side, I can see those local prices only when I have an account at this location. Can you tell me what's the price for a Families account in CA? And I'm totally aware that I have to add 19% VAT in Germany. ;-) Is the Canadian price also dependent to exchange rates, since you are a Canadian company?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sebastian_bauer: Ah, I see. I'm sorry, I think we're talking about different things. Thanks for clarifying. This is just us trying to be clear that taxes are always included with 1Password.eu. We can't necessarily say that about the US, for example, because it does not have a VAT system like the EU does.

On the other side, I can see those local prices only when I have an account at this location. Can you tell me what's the price for a Families account in CA?

Yeah, that's the thing, taxes are not included in the "sticker price" in the US pretty much ever. So tax is added on top of the regular price, and only when required. As I understand it, that's very different than how VAT works in the EU. Can you tell me how that's relevant here? Are you potentially going to use a California billing address with 1Password.eu? That should be possible (unless the card you're using doesn't allow it). Either way, when you setup billing, what you see will be what you get. Let me know if that helps.

And I'm totally aware that I have to add 19% VAT in Germany. ;-) Is the Canadian price also dependent to exchange rates, since you are a Canadian company?

I don't know what you mean about exchange rates. The price for all 1Password memberships, regardless of the server, are set. We may change them over time, but we're not doing that daily in response to currency fluctuations. Where exchange rates come in is if you're paying in a currency other than the one we're charging you in. In that case, your bank will be converting it. Some charge a fee for this, and/or for foreign transactions. So those are important things to check about with your bank.

• In some areas of the world, it's expected (if not required) that tax not be something additional to a price, but that the price listed on the shelf or storefront be "tax inclusive." 1Password adheres to those customs. It's something that's only really seen on 1Password.eu because european countries are really the only ones that have this custom. We aren't charging tax twice, we're simply changing where/how the tax is presented in order to better fit in.

Rick

• sebastian_bauer
    sebastian_bauer
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty and @rickfillion. Now it perfectly makes sense. :) Thanks for your patience. I just want to make sure to understand those details. Seems adding new locations also added some confusion. ;)

• Seems adding new locations also added some confusion.

It certainly does. Just like any feature added, it comes with additional complexity.

Rick

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hello! Today I moved all data from com to eu. But it isn't possible to move the category documents as well. 1Password is doing nothing. And the links in the new vault from the entry to the documents are gone. :-( How can I move my documents also?

• Hi @Philipp,

You’d need to download the Documents from the old location and create new ones in the new location. Once completed you’d need to restore any links.

Thanks.

Ben

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi!

Today I deleted all entries on my old .com account. Deleting was easy and also deleting the trash. But the last step, "Destroy" them also from the "View Archived Items" inside website is very user-unfriendly. There is no destroy all button. I had to click every of my hundreds items for itself. Uff... That was more then one hour of work.

I hope now is really everything deleted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Philipp: If you deleted it all, it's gone. But it sounds like it might have been easier to simply delete the account itself. Destroying items isn't meant to be done for everything, but on a case by case basis. That's just not something most people need or want to do. And there's a button for that at the bottom of the profile page: Delete Account Permanently. :(

• flojoemuc
    flojoemuc
    Community Member

Hi, regarding the upcoming GDPR we want to move our team account from .com to .eu. As described in your privacy statement, you care about "Data Portability". So this means to me, that a provider as 1password should be able to migrate a team account from .com to .eu. Alternatively i have to migrate 6 accounts by hand?! Thank you, Florian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flojoemuc: If it helps, many aspects of GDPR have been part of our security design and implementation from the beginning. 1Password has been and always will be Private by Design, and Private by Default. But if you'd also prefer to use the 1Password.eu server (located in Germany) for any reason, you can simply create a new account there, sign into both accounts in the app, and then copy your data over with a few clicks. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• flojoemuc
    flojoemuc
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for the info. Many aspects is a good think. But because of the GDPR i am not allowed to store personal information (even encrypted) in the USA without having a reason or an alternative to do so. In addition, when storing personal information in the US, it is still OK, when the service is under the US privacy shield - Agilebits is unfortunately not.

We are not a big team on 1password.com, but it is additional effort to explain to my team the workflow to shift all data to .eu. I really would love to have the feature in my team-settings to choose from the three locations .com, .ca and .eu. Is there a chance this feature will go live in the future?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty for the info. Many aspects is a good think. But because of the GDPR i am not allowed to store personal information (even encrypted) in the USA without having a reason or an alternative to do so. In addition, when storing personal information in the US, it is still OK, when the service is under the US privacy shield - Agilebits is unfortunately not.

@flojoemuc: You're very welcome, and while I don't necessarily think it will make a difference in your case, in fact we aren't beholden to the US, as we're a Canadian company. Be sure to check out our privacy information if you're interested in the details (in order of increasing legalese, though it's all very human-readable):

1Password: Private By Design

AgileBits Privacy Policy

We are not a big team on 1password.com, but it is additional effort to explain to my team the workflow to shift all data to .eu. I really would love to have the feature in my team-settings to choose from the three locations .com, .ca and .eu. Is there a chance this feature will go live in the future?

Probably not. After all, you're probably only interested in 1Password.eu in the first place because each of these are completely discrete and unconnected from the others. It's not just a facade: I'm not in the European Union or Canada myself, so I have zero access to either of those systems, except to have an account there as a regular user. We take this stuff very seriously. We have no plans to connect them in any way. I'm sorry that may be inconvenient for you, but at the same time we can't have it both ways.

This discussion has been closed.