1password Swiftkey Integration [no plans to support 3rd party keyboards]

2»

Comments

• Got it. Thanks for the vote, @schoenwaldnils! :)

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

1Password does not support the split screen feature on my Galaxy S7 Edge. So, to log into a site I have to open 1Password, copy the User Name, switch back to the site and paste the User Name. Then I have to re-open 1Password, copy the Password, switch back to the site and paste the Password.

I'm using the default Samsung keyboard, but I cannot find the 1Password keyboard on the PlayStore. Even if I could, I tried it on my old Galaxy Note 3 and found the 1Password keyboard to be very limited in usefulness.

I vote for upgrading the 1Password keyboard itself to include the advanced features of other keyboards (like Samsung or Swiftkey),

• Hi @Bob_James. Thanks for getting in touch!

I will definitely go ahead and add your vote for this feature. Just to clarify, does your S7 Edge have Android Nougat? The reason I ask is because Nougat is required for multi-window mode in 1Password.

As to switching to the 1Password keyboard, tap into a text entry field and then swipe down from the notification bar. You should see the Select Keyboard option there. Do you?

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

It has Android 6.0.1 Marshmellow. I have no idea when Version 7 will be available from Verizon for the S7 Edge.

"You should see the Select Keyboard option there. Do you?"
    Yes

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

I cannot find 1Password keyboard on Play Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_James: Ah, sorry for the confusion there! The 1Password keyboard isn't a separate app; it's built into 1Password for Android itself. You just need to enable it:

Use the 1Password keyboard (Android)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Transient
    Transient
    Community Member

I guess by now it's pretty clear that your users would like SwiftKey integration, however I would like to add my vote as well since the more interest the better, I'm sure. :)

I assume you're already aware, but if not, there is a SwiftKey SDK available to would enable you to do exactly this sort of thing (I believe, I haven't used the SDK myself): https://blog.swiftkey.com/introducing-swiftkey-sdk/

If there's some sort of cost to licensing the SDK or becoming a partner, I'd just like to add that I would have no problem spending a few dollars on a premium feature like SwiftKey integration. I'm not sure about everyone else, but switching keyboards back and forth every time I login is a real irritant for me. :|

• Thanks for the info and you :+1:, @Transient! While we'd love to integrate with SwiftKey, we'd need to first assess any security concerns regarding passing sensitive data through a third-party. Nonetheless, we plan on revisiting filling soon and hope to come up with a solution that suits you. :)

• arcety
    arcety
    Community Member

Please, this feature would make 1password for phone way more useful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's only something we'll do if it can be done securely, and there aren't a lot of tools to facilitate that. So we're focused on Google's new — secure — filling APIs.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

@brenty So just out of curiosity, since I'm not actually sure, is Dashlane doing it insecurely? Or do they just have more resources currently?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@burn123: First and foremost, I really don't have inside information on their implementation. But at the very least it means trusting another party with not screwing things up. But last I heard they were working with Google on the new filling APIs as well. Since we have to trust Google anyway to have an app that runs on Android, we don't have to trust additional parties if we use the tools available there. And that way, as users we only need put our trust in the app vendor (in this case, AgileBits), the OS vendor (Google), and we can make an in formed decision every time we choose to fill our credentials into an app or website. Cheers! :)

• adonisk
    adonisk
    Community Member

If trusting Google makes it easier to proceed, would you consider a Gboard integration?
    That's Google's keyboard and adding 1Password support to that will be a quicker gain for most of the users than the Android O's API implementation as most of the Android O users will start using it in Q1+ of 2018...

I know it is far fetched and will require the Gboard team's collaboration but it kinda makes sense

• Thanks for the feedback, @adonisk. I'll pass this on to my team.

• mrubin
    mrubin
    Community Member

This has now been pending for over 1 1/2 years and there is still no solution. Very frustrating! Remind management (i.e. marketing) that there are twice as many Android users as there are iOS users. And I would be willing to pay for a solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrubin: I'm sorry for the confusion. Device market share just doesn't impact the user base the way you think — and it certainly doesn't solve technical problems that exist, or accommodate differences between OSes.

Just to clarify, what you're demanding is not something we've said we're doing. Just because seven people have asked us to do something over the past 11 months, however nicely, does not necessarily mean we're going to do it, much less prioritize it over things that will benefit many more users. For example, in case you missed it, we've been working on better ways (i.e. not combining with other apps directly, potentially impacting the security of 1Password users' data) to fill on Android:

1Password 6.6 for Android: Crunchy outer cookie, velvety smooth filling

We've built support for both Google's new Autofill (Android 8) and OpenYOLO (Android 4.1+) into the latest version of 1Password — and that doesn't cost you or anyone else anything above what you've already paid. Much like iOS extensions, these allow 1Password to be used to securely save and fill credentials in apps. But, while it will take time for other developers to adopt these standards, 1Password is ready and (unlike iOS) they don't have to support 1Password explicitly, only use Google's APIs (which is why the latter can work on older OS versions too). And we're always happy to help. Cheers! :)

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member

+1 me for Swiftkey integration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jimmacmillan: It isn't something we're working on currently, but it definitely helps to know that you're interested. :)

• tofalck
    tofalck
    Community Member

+1 from me too.

I have been evaluating several password managers over the past month or so.

The two I like the best is 1Password and Enpass. They work almost identically on the pc and are therefore on par there.

On the phone:

I find it extremely annoying to have to switch keyboard context - layout, language, the works, just to have autofilling. It's annoying to the point where I would almost rather be at risk than to have to live with this limitation!

I will not be letting go of Swiftkey just to have this done for me as it solves many other issues for me.

It is also annoying that you will have to pick first username and then password every time I login.

Enpass also have a keyboard but I don't use it.
    Enpass is for the most part able to fly by using Android's notification system which you just tap and pick your login and voila - auto filling...

They have many other bugs (like not always guessing the entry to use so you have to search and pick it yourself...) and minor annoyances but the auto filling feature works better and seems to be implemented nicely which is the killer feature.

In the future Android Oreo (O) will be making this a lot easier by letting you authenticate with your finger and O will request the login info from the vault and log you in.

I am sure you will support this - in a later version of course...I know :-)

For now, Enpass supports my needs better and it is the manager I am flying with for the time being.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tofalck: It sounds like you missed that 1Password for Android already supports Google's new filling features in Android 8 — the future is now:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your Android device

And while not all apps support that (and older Android versions cannot), it isn't necessary in most cases to use manual filling with the 1Password Keyboard:

Use the 1Password keyboard to fill in Chrome and apps on your Android device

I typically only need to use manual filling if a website or app is poorly coded, or I do not have a matching login (1Password isn't going to "guess" and open you up to phasing attacks) and want to select another. 1Password for Android also support Google's OpenYOLO, so that it can integrate more directly with apps as they add support for this, going back to Android 4.1.

So even if 1Password isn't a perfect fit for your particular use case right now, there are a lot of good options available already which aren't limited only to users of a particular 3rd party keyboard, and we're continually improving 1Password to add even more options. Cheers! :)

• tofalck
    tofalck
    Community Member

@brenty - Thanks for your answer. I am aware of the Autofill API support in 1P and other managers and I absolutely recognize that you do your best to strengthen security and limiting access to sensitive information. The thing is - most sites are poorly coded (!) and I tend/prefer to use www based logins more than apps on the phone. The Autofill API does not work well (if at all) for this scenario which may be a thing google should fix since it's a Chrome/Android Oreo API integration issue more than anything.
    Try nordnet.dk for instance...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ouch. I wouldn't say "most sites", but certainly it is a challenge to work with many. And I hear you about using web apps: I feel like I'm constantly updating the apps on my devices! :lol:

Anyway, we'll keep working on it. Thanks so much for your honest feedback! :chuffed:

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

Adding my vote to this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't currently have any plans to allow 1Password data to be accessed through a 3rd party keyboard. Definitely check out our newer filling options:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your Android device

This discussion has been closed.