When opening 1Password 4, The window does not maximize in focus mode

A rather annoying bug that I've been having with strictly the 1Password software (as far as I know)

When I go to open up the 1 Password manager from my Taskbar, it maximizes the window but it's not in focus mode. It makes me extremely nervous because I typically input my password due to forgetfulness of the bug and nothing happens. So I have to manually click on the window before I do anything, which is annoying. I am aware of the Secure Desktop password unlock, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this. THANKS!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.13.2
OS Version: Windows 7 x64 SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Apocalypse612: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! There isn't any way to change this, as the notification icon is a separate app — 1Password Helper. So when you're interacting with that in the taskbar to open the main 1Password app, it will still have focus. Other apps should not have focus at that point though, as the taskbar should remain focused, so that's one less thing to worry about. But one workaround is to not close the main 1Password app. That way when you return to it it does not have to launch first, and it can be focused immediately. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Apocalypse612
    Apocalypse612
    Community Member

Well, the problem is that it used to work just fine in previous versions that I remember, however for some reason or another it doesn't behave properly anymore. Surely I'm not the only one with this issue?

• Hi @Apocalypse612,

I haven't heard of any reports of this. Do you recall when it stopped focusing? Sometime it is the Windows update that messed up the focusing, not 1Password.

I am not able to reproduce this issue on Windows 7. I tried opening 1Password from the notification area, pinned to taskbar, and so on, 1Password opened to maximized state and the password field focused.

What if it is not maximized, is it focused correctly?

You could try installing the previous 1Password build from here to confirm a regression for us.

• macke
    macke
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Yes you have @MikeT... ;) This problems seems to be very similar to what I reported a couple of years ago.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/48386/doubleclick-on-systray-icon-does-not-give-window-focus#latest

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@macke: Thank you for participating! :+1:

To be fair, 2 years is quite a while ago and, as you can see, this issue should not be present in the current version of 1Password 4 for Windows. Are you able to reproduce it on your side now? Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• macke
    macke
    Community Member

@Greg: I don't know if the OP of this thread did exactly as I did in my "report" but when I test "the doubleclick on tray icon" on Win 7 with 1Password for Windows version 4.6.2.626 the problem unfortunately still exists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for you input on this. I'm not sure it's within our control since focus is handled by the OS, but we'll see if there's something we can do to help.

• macke
    macke
    Community Member

@Brenty: I'm pretty sure you can react on doubleclick on a systray icon. Please try it on the Dropbox systray icon (if you have that installed) and you will see different things happening on single- and doubleclick.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@macke: Dropbox is a single app, so whether you single- or double-click it's still the same app that "reacts". The 1Password 4 notification icon is part of 1Password Helper (Agile1PAgent.exe), which communicates with the browser extensions. Double-clicking it is launching an entirely different app (1Password.exe).

• macke
    macke
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty: Being a Windows developer myself I would say the fact it involves two applications does not change the fact that this particular problem is easy to fix. When you (single) click with the left mousebutton on the icon in the systray the 1Password Helper will launch the main application 1Password.exe which shows the login screen. If the 1Password Helper then receives another single left mousebutton click within a certain amount of time (choose whatever seems appropriate to simulate a doubleclick) then the password helper app just need to set the main window of the 1Password app as the active/foreground window in Windows (by using its Window handle). However, you may need to wait a little while until the 1Password.exe main window has been created and registered in Windows before you will be able to get its Window handle. You don't even need to make any changes in the 1Password.exe for this, just a few lines of code in the password helper.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macke: As I'm sure you know, the behaviour is also different depending on the version of Windows. We'll see what we can do, but my point was that this is very different — and more complex — than your example. :)

This discussion has been closed.