Cannot set up 1PW on iPhone X

Options
andycap
andycap
Community Member

Setting up the X from the old phone was a nightmare. Suffice to say I eventually set it up as a new iPhone, enabling Face ID and downloading all my essential non-Apple apps from the App Store including 1PW. Seemed to sync OK with my iMac and I attempted to get Face ID set up for 1PW on the phone. However tapping on the icon only opens up the grey screen with the key lock "bar" 2/3rds of the way up the screen. No Face ID or fingerprint symbol and cannot go any further.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 7.0.3 I think
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @andycap,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble getting 1Password to unlock on your iPhone X. To be clear: you don’t have a spot to enter your Master Password when launching 1Password? If that is the case please copy this URL and paste it into the Safari address bar:

onepassword://diagnostics

Opening this link should open 1Password and cause it to produce a diagnostics report. In the email screen that pops up please include this link:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84215/

As well as your forum username:

andycap

Then send the email to us. You’ll get an automated reply back from BitBot with a Support ID. Please post that ID here.

Thank you!

Ben

ref: FKJ-32735-131

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

Ben thanks for your quick response. I pasted the the url into Safari (on my Mac) and it did indeed open 1PW but there was no apparent production of a diagnostics report I could find and no email screen popped up. Where do we go from here?

If you’ll bear with me, here’s a bit of background which might help. I emailed this to you guys because I thought it might have been a bit wordy for a forum posting. Bot says no, talk to humans on the forum.

I’ve been with Macs and iPhones for years and 1PW has been superlative on both Sierra and IOS 11. I'm at ease with how they operate from a user perspective and have never had an issue with Apple’s upgrade pathways. But setting up an iPhone X really hurt my brain. I elected to set it up manually and all seemed OK until I tapped Restore from Backup (in iTunes to which I’d backed up the old iPhone 6 the previous day). Says “backup corrupt”. Huh? So I go back to the start and choose “Automatic Setup” instead with the 6 and the X cosily next to each other and all seems OK. It takes a while but I get distracted by a couple of real world priorities and sometime during the process, one or both of the phones run out of juice. I charge them both up and try to repeat the process, apparently not completely successfully as I end up with with an only partly functional iPhone X.

I hard reset the phone and set it up as new one and laboriously re-download all the apps I had from the App Store. Then I discover that I cannot make or receive calls (it’s primarily a phone for heaven’s sake!), can’t set up Siri, Skype login freezes, can’t delete apps and a host of other things. I give up and take it back to the Telstra Shop (Australia’s main carrier) where I bought it. They scratch their heads a bit, do a hard reset again and send me away for half an hour to drink coffee and smoke while they set it up using Automatic Setup. It works. All the apps and data are transferred and I open 1PW normally.

I get home and discover that, while I can use it as a phone, many of the other issues remain including being unable to unlock 1PW, and I’m now at the point where I’m considering taking it back for a replacement. But before I do, I’d like to sort the 1PW issue. This is the screen I get when I tap on the 1PW icon:
    IMG_0028.PNG (well it was a pic in the email!)
    I stare at it, tap it, swipe at it but no bananas. No Face ID or Finger print symbol and nowhere to insert master password. Wi-Fi issue? Sync problem?

It may be that the shenanigans related above are the cause, it may be a dodgy phone or it may just be me! I really appreciate it if you’ve got this far and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andycap: Ouch. That sounds like a comedy of errors...except without the comedy. :(

While I'm not sure about the rest, you should (not 100% confident here given the other issues you seem to be facing on your new phone...) be able to get things working right with 1Password by reinstalling the app. It isn't at all uncommon (unfortunately) for the restore process to screw things up when it comes to transferring apps/data from one device to another (one user this week found that the App Store would not allow them to update to version 7 at all).

So, provided that you have all of your 1Password data on your Mac, I'd suggest deleting 1Password from your iPhone, installing a fresh copy from the App Store, and then syncing your data back over. Definitely double check to make sure that Face ID is enabled for 1Password at that point, but after that you should be good to go — at least with 1Password: best of luck to you with any other challenges! :blush:

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, despite following directions from at least 2 respectable sources, being unable to delete an app is unfortunately one of the issues I'm having! I can't even restart the phone. The issues are so numerous (and I expect to find more as I use the phone) that I'm seriously thinking of swapping the sim back to my old 6. Sorry for the rant but it's late...

I will be contacting Applecare tomorrow with a list. Wish me luck with that challenge!

• Ben
    Options

Good luck. Once you have a functioning phone we’ll be happy to help if any 1Password related issue remain. Unfortunately there is little we can do if the problem seems to be with the phone itself. I’m really sorry to hear you’ve had to go through all that trouble, but hopefully Apple will be able to get you squared away.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

Ben/Brenty, all problems with the phone solved by AppleCare (an Australian!) and it functions like a smartphone not a brick. Basically I stuffed up the original set up. As someone pretty experienced with Macs and iPhones, I find this somewhat depressing and inexplicable!

1Password (for me probably the most important app on it) now works fine. Thanks for your attention fellas.

Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

AWESOME! I was really dismayed at the troubles you've been going through, but I'm glad to hear that Apple was able to help. I always hate making those calls too, but they've always come through for me. So glad this tale has a happy ending. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.