Is there a quick way to fill the credentials from one site into a form on another site?

I use a lot of aggregation sites (think mint or filethis) and I'm finding that I frequently have to fill the credentials from one site, e.g. a bank, into another site, e.g. mint. When I'm doing this, I can hit cmd \ to get the 1Password extension up, and I can search for the other site's credentials, but they come up under a section called "Open", which opens the page and enters the credentials. Having another option to "Fill" rather than open would be really useful in these cases. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a quick way to fill the credentials from one site into a form on another site?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hi @sdg,

1Password will only ever fill a page with a Login item if there is a matching website field in that Login item for that site. Now a Login item can store multiple website fields meaning you could set a Login item up to fill into very different sites if that is what you wish to do. As you can imagine, such alterations must be made deliberately and each should be considered very carefully given the implications of doing so but it is possible.

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member

Hey thanks @littlebobbytables - that wouldn't exactly fit the bill though - because then I'd have update all of those copies each time I updated the original. And there would be a ton of these to maintain. Thinking about Mint as the example, it connects to bank accounts, credit cards, retirements accounts, etc. It wouldn't be practical to store the original log ins for those, and then duplicate them in the Mint 1Password entry as well. As there are more and more of these aggregation type sites (money management, roboadvisers, the whole fintech space) I think this would be a great feature to add, simple to choose to fill credentials from any site searched for in the extension into whatever form is on the page. Come to think of it, 1Password can already do this for logins and credit cards - that's the type of functionality I'm looking for. Would you consider this a feature request please? Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sdg,

I'm not sure you understood or I didn't do a good enough job explaining. It would be a single Login item with multiple website fields. Updating the single Login item would result in the updated details being filled any time you used the item. I do completely agree that creating multiple items would be a terrible approach for the very reasons you've mentioned. Multiple website fields in a single Login item will allow the Login item to fill on any of those sites.

What I imagine we won't add is a way for the user to easily accidentally fill one site with the details of any selected Login item. The risks just don't outweigh the benefits. We do have generalised filling for Identity and Credit Card items because by their very nature they are details you will want 1Password to fill on a number of sites. It does mean accidental filling could also technically happen there too but at least these items are separated from the list of Login items meaning there is at least a small barrier from a single misplaced cursor resulting in an accident (along with no submitting after filling too).

This discussion has been closed.