Manual Login with the 1Password browser extension does not work any more

gnarreb
gnarreb
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Good morning to all of you!

I do need help.

I have bben using the manual Login with the browser extension with several web sites for quite some time.

Since a couple of days the feature does not work on the DEUTSCHE BANK site anymore. It just fills in the PW, but leaves the other 3 fields empty.
I redid the the manual procedure to save the login several times with no luck.

This happens with SAFARI and with FIREFOX.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Thomas

1Password
Version 6.8.4 (684000)
Mac App Store

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Family team

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @gnarreb,

Can you supply the URL for the site please. We'll be more than happy to take a look and see what is happening. It could be a change we made had a negative effect here or they've made some under the hood modifications that are causing us trouble. Either way we'll take a look and see what we can find and if there is anything we can do to help you create a working Login item.

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

Sorry liitlebobytables! I forgot to paste the URL.

Here we go: https://meine.deutsche-bank.de/trxm/db/init.do?checkCookie

Thanks

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gnarreb: I got "Session Expired" when following that URL — rather ominous! :scream:

However, it looks like this might be the correct login page: https://meine.deutsche-bank.de/trxm/db/init.do

Not 100% sure since I see no password field, but I was able to save and fill Branch, Account, and PIN using 1Password. It sounds like you may have saved this login a long time ago, or perhaps created it by hand at some point. The good news is that I was able to easily save and fill a new login there. In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks for your suggestions.

• Password is the field "PIN"
    • The Login was saved with manual login process as you describe about one year ago.
    • And rebuild the same way from time to time, when it did not work anymore (out of invisible reasons...)
      -SOLVED: So I saved it as a new entry into 1Password. and it works again. I had not been doing this before as the Login entry contains several other informations, which now I have to copy by hand into the new entry.

• I have always used the option when saving the login to update the existing entry. Looks like that does not work anymore!!!

I suspect, there was something changed in the app.

Have a great day
    Thomas

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gnarreb,

So I can shed a little light on this. The Update Existing feature in 1Password won't replace the entire web form details section of a Login item as the feature is aimed at password change forms. As a result 1Password will update the password which will be reflected in the web form details based on the field flagged with the silhouette of the key.

If the site has changed something or on occasion there has been a disruptive change in 1Password (we do try to minimise these and haven't had one for a while in relation to filling) it could mean the old Login item doesn't match the current page closely enough to restore all the fields with the values stored in the web form details. As you have a page that requires three fields to be filled it does mean you need 1Password to fill in a very particular way and 1Password is somewhat strict when it comes to deciding if it will use this filling strategy.

We do see scenarios where replacing the entire web form details section with details of a new page would be useful but one thing we've never been comfortable with is how to present such an option to the user and ensure it is easy to differentiate from updating a password. If we failed to make this amazingly intuitive we'd basically be releasing a version of 1Password that is primed to mess up Login items by confusing users. It would be great if we could though as I certainly do understand where you're coming from in terms of custom user fields and sections.

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables
    I see it as a very confusing option the way it is! So I can never trust a new password has updated the old one. And then try to remember our exchange here in the forum.
    If it never updates the existing entry with the manual process, you could just grey this out. Or what ist the percentage where it works / doesn't work?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What lil bobby is saying is that the only function of the Update Login feature is that it updates the password. It's designed with password change forms in mind, since that's where we generally change our passwords for websites. And because of that, we don't want 1Password saving the URL and fields for the password change form, as the Login would then be pretty useless for...well, logging in after that. Given that filing login credentials is the thing that most people use 1Password for the vast majority of the time, we'd rather not do anything to break that if we can help it. Cheers! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gnarreb,

I hope brenty helped clarify any confusion I caused. I won't stand here and say we recognise and update password changes correctly everywhere due to the variety in site designs out there but we're constantly working to improve our accuracy.

What I was trying to explain was the difference between updating just the password versus replacing an entire web form details. This might benefit from an example.

Let's say there's a page you want to fill with three important fields

1. username
    2. email address
    3. password

As it's 3+ fields we need a very particular fill strategy to work which will as long as the page we're filling looks like the page described in the web form details of that Login item.

Let's say the site now adds a new input field, one titled internal_use_only. We can't afford to ignore it but now there is another field and so the two don't look the same. In this scenario 1Password will fall back to only attempting to fill the username and password. The Update Existing won't change the web form details to include knowledge of the internal_use_only field and you can't manually add it. For the moment only saving a new Login item will result in a web form details with knowledge of all four fields. In both cases though, if you used a new password and then confirmed Update Existing it would replace the current password with the newer one.

Does that help at all?

If we've misunderstood your post and what you were trying to say was you found most sites don't correctly update the password when you would expect us to then that is something we can look into with you as that shouldn't be the case.

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables
    I do understand a bit better now. As in all cases so far none of the visible fields were changed, deleted or added I just did not see a problem.
    Thanks for your patience with me!

1 Password is a great product
    Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your kind words, and patience with us! 1Password is really great in a lot of ways, but it isn't perfect. We're always working to make it easier to use so you don't have to worry about these things, but we're here if you ever need help or have questions. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.