There is no field for user name for one of my logins.

My wife had been using my laptop and had logged into Facebook using her user name and password.

Today I signed her out and used 1Password to sign me in. Only it could sign me in because, for some reason, there's no user name in 1Password for Facebook; it seems to have simply disappeared. I have signed into Facebook a few times over the years using 1Password, so I know that field and its value used to be there.

So where did that user name go and how do I get it back?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: None
Referrer: forum-search:missing user name in 1password

Comments

• tom_young
    tom_young
    Community Member

Well, I got the username back - it wasn't that hard - but I still don't understand why it disappeared from 1 Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password saves the field names from the webpage itself...and often they get "creative" and use nonsensical IDs there. Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but if you run into any other issues, in many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try to save the login manually. And we're here if you need us. :)

• tom_young
    tom_young
    Community Member

There was a typo in my original post in that I should have said that 1Password COULDN'T sign me in because the user name for the site was missing from 1Password.

The problem certainly wasn't that the webpage somehow was being overly cute with what they were calling the username field. Facebook identifies the user name field as "Email or Phone" and when I originally set up Facebook in 1 Password I manually typed the username in 1Password, and it worked fine for a long time, until it didn't because 1Password no longer had that user name field. So I had to add a new Login Field.

This has happened to me again, on another site where I regularly sign in shortly after every month end.

Once again, there's no username to be had. I guess I can recover from this again but the bigger issue for me is what causing this?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tom_young,

That is strange. Could you please specify how did you save those Login items in the first place? Did you use 1Password extension and save them when 1Password prompted you to do so or did you save them manually?

Also, if you give us an example of such website, it will be really helpful. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• tom_young
    tom_young
    Community Member

The first post was regarding Facebook. The second post was referring to Dodge and Cox - https://www.dodgeandcox.com/

I'm sure I entered the login information for both of these sites back in October, 2015 when I first acquired 1Password. I'm also fairly certain that I entered the login information by opening 1Password, clicking "New Item", selecting "Logins" and then simply filling out the new "Login" window with a title, Username and Password, not knowing how 1Password really worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that makes sense. That's part of why we have a warning (that sounds harsh, but I can't think of a better word) there to suggest saving the login using the browser extension. That gives 1Password a lot of information about the page — and, frankly, saves you the hassle of constructing it entirely by hand. Definitely give that a try. :)

This discussion has been closed.