Am I able to use 1Password X with a "license" and no "secret key"

mostoutlaw
mostoutlaw
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

A couple years ago I bought the $50 license, and still use it. I have no other form of active 1Password account.

When I try to use 1Password X on a Linux, I'm sent to log in here.

But I'm unable to log in because I don't know my "secret key". And according to this article, I can't have secret key since I'm just a license-holder.

Am I able to use 1Password X on my Linux computer with just a "license" and no "secret key"?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mostoutlaw: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! Indeed, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com and use things like 1Password X and the CLI app. But it's easy to sign up, and you can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. If so, subscribe and everything is included. If not, you're not out any money; you can continue using the version you paid for. Thanks for your interest, and be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• mostoutlaw
    mostoutlaw
    Community Member

OK got it. Thanks for prompt support @brenty.

• mostoutlaw
    mostoutlaw
    Community Member

Here's some feedback. I should have taken screenshots, but when I added my new "account" to 1password it asked if I wanted to copy my old passwords over. You should really explain this better before asking the user to make a choice. e.g

• Will my old vault be deleted if I copy over?
    • If my new account is a family account, will it all be copied to a "shared vault". Will my family members be able to access all of my logins?
    • Lastly, it asks if I want to delete my old vault after it says that my items were successfully transferred. That's a huge leap to ask the user to make before seeing that the items actually were transferred over. What if something went wrong and I lose everything?

2cents

• mostoutlaw
    mostoutlaw
    Community Member

Also, the "Find your secret key in your 1password account" instructions seem circular: step 1 fails because it requires the secret key that is currently missing!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK got it. Thanks for prompt support @brenty.

@mostoutlaw: You're totally welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions about it. :chuffed:

Here's some feedback. I should have taken screenshots, but when I added my new "account" to 1password it asked if I wanted to copy my old passwords over. You should really explain this better before asking the user to make a choice. e.g
    Will my old vault be deleted if I copy over?

You should have been prompted to remove the vault from the app, but you don't have to. It's what we recommend to avoid confusion, but note that this only removes it from the app; it won't delete it from Dropbox or whatever you were using before. It's not a bad idea to archive it...but honestly once your data is in 1Password.com it's automatically backed up, so that isn't as strong a recommendation.

If my new account is a family account, will it all be copied to a "shared vault". Will my family members be able to access all of my logins?

I'm not sure I understand. As far as I know, you're prompted to import the data into your Personal/Private vault. You don't have to, and certainly you may want to import into a shared vault instead, but I think that doing it this way is a safer bet; you can always move some data to a shared vault later if desired.

Lastly, it asks if I want to delete my old vault after it says that my items were successfully transferred. That's a huge leap to ask the user to make before seeing that the items actually were transferred over. What if something went wrong and I lose everything?

As I mentioned above and you mentioned here, removing the old vault is optional, and you can certainly check the new vault in the app or web interface first to be sure. But it's literally never happened because the data is verified as it is transferred to the server. If the data is bad, it will be rejected by the server and the import process halted. There's a lot of integrity checking we can do there since we're not limited to consumer filesystems. That makes me happy.

Also, the "Find your secret key in your 1password account" instructions seem circular: step 1 fails because it requires the secret key that is currently missing!

As mentioned before Step 1,

Use a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser on the computer you used to create your account.

There are only two ways to signup for a 1Password.com account: through the app (1Password for Mac or iOS, for example) or through the website (1Password.com in a browser), so if you have a 1Password.com account you'll have signed in using one or the other. So this particular suggestion is to sign into the browser using your Master Password. If you've already used that, it will still be authorized unless you explicitly deauthorized...but that would need to be done from another browser, so arguably you could sign in there instead. But the Emergency Kit is even better. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.