Seeking clarification on iOS Pro features and Family Sharing

Options
antipole
antipole
Community Member

I purchased 1Password for iOS outright when that was the way. I have Apple's Family Sharing set up so my partner also has 1Password on her iPhone.

I am now on 1Password 6 and I have the Pro features included. I believe this follows from your policy that those who purchased the app get the Pro features for free. All well and good.

My partner's iPhone 5 is stuck on iOS 10 and 1Password 6.9.1 and she has lost the features that are now Pro. When I try Restore Purchases it looks under her Apple ID and says she does not have the purchase. There is no option to restore under my AppleID (without changing the whole iPhone over). Apple states "Family Sharing lets up to six people in your family share each other’s iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases without sharing accounts." It seems this is not happening in this case and that the benefit of the Pro features has only been inherited by my Apple ID and not a family linked one.

What's the situation here, please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @antipole,

Apple’s Family Sharing feature does not allow in-app purchases (such as the 1Password Pro Features) to be shared:

What types of content can I share with Family Sharing? - Apple Support

For your partner to use the Pro features there are three options. In the order that I’d recommend them, they are:

1. Use a 1Password.com membership (you could share a 1Password Families membership, which may be the best option). All levels of membership include all of the features available in all of the latest versions of 1Password — no separate upgrade fees required. You can learn about migrating here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account
    2. Purchase the Pro features separately on her Apple ID
    3. Uninstall 1Password (make sure data is backed up: 1Password backups ), sign out of her Apple ID, sign into your Apple ID, and re-install 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• antipole
    antipole
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Ben - clear and authorative response - as usual!

• Ben
    Options

You’re very welcome @antipole! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. :)

Ben

• gavla
    gavla
    Community Member
    Options

Hello.

I have 1Password pro features on my device and this was because I purchased the 1Password pro app before it was free so I am able to unlock the pro features but my other device will not unlock the pro features and will not unlock them on my partners device who is in my family sharing account, could you please advice how to unlock them for both please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@gavla: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! If purchased the Pro features in 1Password 5, 6, or 7, that will not work as Apple does not allow in-app purchases to be shared. The App Store will only validate the purchase if you both install the app using the Apple ID where it was purchased and also restore the purchase using that Apple ID. Otherwise Pro upgrade is included in a 1Password.com membership, or is a separate purchase for each Apple ID.

• gavla
    gavla
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response but I didn't buy the pro features as an in-app purchase I purchased the 1Password Pro app which had pro features included as my partner should also get this too as It was an app purchase and not IAP, how do we go about doing this as using separate Apple ID's causes havoc when setting up a new device or restoring from backups? So do I get a free 1Password.com account as well as the pro features?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gavla: Thanks for clarifying. However, if you purchased an app called "1Password Pro", that was version 3 and does not include the current version. 1Password.com memberships are not free. There just wouldn't be anyone here to answer your questions if we didn't charge for our products. But if you'd like to migrate to a 1Password.com membership, such as 1Password Families, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your receipt(s). Post the Support ID you receive here and I'll be happy to help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• gavla
    gavla
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I understand you cant give everything away for free being a software developer myself. I bought "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet, v4.2.1 (17+)" then when you changed to monthly/annual payments, my pro features were unlocked after a support ticket. So if you pay the monthly/annual fee for pro features is 1Password.com included or a separate service? Thanks

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@gavla,

Can you clarify what monthly/annual payments you're talking about? Pro features is a $9.99 In App Purchase, not a recurring charge.

The only monthly/annual subscription we have is with a 1Password.com account, when you're signed into that account in 1Password on iOS it unlocks all the functionality that's included with Pro features.

The 1Password.com account is:

• all of the current and future native applications: Mac and Windows and Pro features on IOS and Android
    • automatic sync between those devices and 1Password.com
    • web access via 1Password.com

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.