Bug: 1Password mini menu bar icon colour is wrong.

Options
sbp11
sbp11
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

Check the attached pic, the icon doesn't match the rest of the icons I have in my menu bar. I don't know why but it bothers me a lot so I would really appreciate if you could fix it :)

Cheers!

1Password Version: 6.8.4 (684001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sbp11: Sorry about that! I know it doesn't seem like a big thing, but we've got a lot of other stuff we're working on currently. So while I'm not sure when we will update 1Password mini to use different icons, it's on our list. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you! :)

• sbp11
    sbp11
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Well, it is a big thing for me, so bump it up! Also, it doesn't look like a tremendous amount of work anyway...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha indeed, that's what I meant. It might not be. I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. I just know that a lot of other things have our attention right now, so we need to see them through. Cheers! :)

• sbp11
    sbp11
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Grab a designer
    2. Give him a cookie, or a beer. Or whatever.
    3. Show him the pic. Slap him if he doesn't see the difference. Slap him again to make it memorable.
    4. Now give him another cookie to make him feel better. Or beer. Or whatever.
    5. Assign him the ticket.

See? Not that hard!

Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ouch. Maybe not hard for you, but definitely hard on the designer — and my hand! :tongue:

ref: OPM-2497

• Hi @sbp11,

You're 100% right, the icon is different. And it actually drives me crazy too. I've put in many hours trying to get it looking better, but with every OS update, Apple changes those icons subtly and whatever work we put in ends up being for nothing.

The real problem here is that we're "forced" to do our own drawing of that icon. I've written more menu-bar based apps than I care to admit, and 1Password is the only app that's caused me this grief. It's this way because of how we handle 1Password mini's interface, specifically in that we want the icon to stay lit while mini is open. That behavior isn't one that AppKit/macOS gives us for free, and so we end up needing to do all of our own custom drawing there. It's a little maddening.

I'm hopeful that one day either Apple will give us the tools we need to avoid doing that drawing ourselves so that we can match the rest of the icons perfectly regardless of operating system version, or that we change the UI of 1Password mini enough such that we don't need a hack like that.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.