How do I generate passwords with 1Password X?

I can't find the password generator with 1Password X.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I generate passwords with 1Password X?

Comments

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member

Where is the password generator?

1Password Version: 1.01
    Extension Version: 1.01 X
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
    Sync Type: 1P account

• At the moment the password generator is available on password fields – you can see the Use a suggested password section of our getting started guide to see it in action.

In a future release we will be adding the password generator in the popup. This will be great for generating passwords that aren't needed by a website, as well as making it possible to customize the password recipe.

I hope you're enjoying 1Password X so far!

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member

Additionally, can the use suggested password box be expanded from there so you can choose the algorithm. Length, letters, symbols,etc, sometimes the site has specific requirements that I need to alter. Or a way to exit the suggested in the window

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@Mongoose089: It's too early to say exactly how password recipes will work with the inline filling menu. I'd hate to tell you one thing only to find out it gets changed during the implementation process. That being said, we greatly appreciate your feedback – I promise you, it doesn't get ignored around here! :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@beyer : All I ask, you guys are very responsive. I'm a long time LastPass user but have always preferred your app implementation to theirs. Was just waiting for Chromebook support. That was one of the only items I think they made more convenient

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member

@beyer (ps, looks like I'm going to be finally switching)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@Mongoose089: Awesome – I'm delighted to hear support for Chrome OS has finally won you over! We still have plenty of features and improvements to add, but I truly don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crystaln: 1Password X does not have a dedicated "password generator" menu currently, but in the 1Password icon in password fields you can get a generated password. Cheers! :)

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

I have version 1.1.0 of the new 1password X installed in Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit). I was trying to change the password on my twitter account and couldn't find the password generator in the extension. As a result I had to make up new, weak password and use that.

The password generator is clearly visible in the safari add-on which I'm pretty sure I haven't updated to 1password X

1Password Version: 6.8.4 (684001)
    Extension Version: 1.1.0
    OS Version: 10.11.6
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1password x generate password

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

It looks like password generation is handled in the "suggested password" feature in the password field for a site. However, some sites (like twitter) are using pop-ups for password changes and the 1password "button"/feature is not visible in them.

• rvijaysubs
    rvijaysubs
    Community Member

Hey @brenty, I'm new to 1password. I'm on my trial period now.

On the same lines, how do I change the password generation setup in the Chrome extension? Every website has different rules for a password. Some have a maximum length of 16 characters etc. How do I change generated passwords as suggested in Step 2 in https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@rvijaysubs: Thanks for reaching out, and for checking out 1Password! I'm sorry for the confusion there. That guide is referring to the browser integration that our native apps use (like 1Password for Mac).

You're right that some sites have some pretty strict limitations placed on the strength of the password you can use. 1Password X doesn't currently have a way to tweak the generated password, but you can save it and then modify it as needed to meet their requirements:

1. Click the 1Password "keyhole" icon in the password field on the website's login form
    2. Select "Use Suggested Password"
    3. Give the new login a name and save it
    4. Click 1Password X icon in the Chrome toolbar
    5. To the right of the new login you saved, click to view its details
    6. Click Edit to open a new tab with your new login
    7. Change the passwords needed, and click Save
    8. Close the item tab, and then you can click the 1Password icon to fill your new password on the page

That will work in the mean time, and we'll be adding more and more to 1Password X over time, including options for password generation. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@kaymac01: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your posts with the existing discussion on this topic. You may find my comments above helpful.

You're right that "Use Suggested Password" is the way to do this now:

And I'd like more details about the specific example you gave of Twitter, since I'm not seeing popup there for password changes; it's just shown on the right on their settings page when selected, at least for me:

https://twitter.com/settings/account

Please let me know the URL where you're encountering this and I'll be happy to test it to see if there's something we can improve there. :)

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

Hi, the context for this is that I'm doing a password change - not a login. That's probably the difference. Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing when I tried to do a change in facebook (sorry I don't have one for twitter although the same thing is missing). Ideally, there should be a password generator as a function in the application (as opposed to the extension) so that the user can always generate a password there and then copy and paste.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@kaymac01: From your screenshot, it looks like you have "Show 1Password icon in forms" disabled, is that correct?

I just tested Facebook, and it looks like with our inline filling enabled, passwords can be generated and filled on the password change form. We are working to improve the whole password generation aspect in 1Password X to provide better options for everyone. In the meantime, another option is to use the password generator in our web client. You can click the Edit button at the top of the 1Password item your changing, this will open a new tab, and allow you to copy over a newly generated password.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

Hey Andrew, if it's disabled I don't think it's part of an explicit action by me - rather it would have been a default. I'll need to check on my laptop at home as that's where I have 1password X installed. I'll get back to you.

That said, it would be helpful if password generation were more widely available in the extension itself and in the 1password application. To me, it seems like a pretty widely needed and used requirement?

Keith

• crystaln
    crystaln
    Community Member

I agree this needs to be accessible in the main menu. For some sites password fields are not detected, the feature doesn't work properly, or you'll want to generate a password for additional purposes.

• crystaln
    crystaln
    Community Member

For instance try to register on https://www.tradingview.com/. Doesn't work. There always be sites where your plugin doesn't properly work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@kaymac01, @crystaln: We're on the same page here. As I mentioned earlier, we'll be adding more options for password generation in the future. We just weren't able to fit everything we want in 1Password X in to version 1.0. We've already made improvements to this in the latest betas. Thank for your feedback! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kaymac01: My screenshot above is Twitter's password change form under their settings page. That's why I was wondering if you were at a different URL. I'm just not seeing what you are. Happy to test if there's somewhere else I should be looking. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crystaln: Is this the right signup form?

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

So, "Show 1password icon in forms" is NOT disable as the screen shot below shows:

On twitter, I was able to reproduce the situation I'm talking about. When logging in, I selected I forgot my password, and then clicked the reset password link in the email they sent. This took me to the reset password page and although there's a 1password X icon in the password field, there is no "Use suggested password" option.

[screenshot removed for privacy]

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

Also, Andrew above mentions using the web client to generate a password. I just logged in to the client and I can't find an option to generate a password. Isn't there anywhere this can be done? I'm using the 4.6.12 extension on Safari it has a password generator but no such luck on Chrome which is what i have to use at work. Clearly it's possible to implement the functionality...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kaymac01: Ah, thank you! That explains it. I definitely wasn't going through the password reset. I was looking at their password change form since that's what you mentioned. I was able to start the password reset process from the main login page:

https://twitter.com/account/begin_password_reset

To get an email sent to redirect me to the password reset form:

https://twitter.com/account/reset_password

Where I am seeing the same thing you are: no suggested password. I've filed an issue for this. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

ref: b5x-178

Regarding generating passwords using the 1Password.com web interface, you can find the password generator by creating a new login item (or editing an existing one) and clicking the "key" icon to the right of the password field:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

OK got it. Thanks. Just two final comments on this. (1) I'd suggest modifying your documentation/help to make it easier for users to figure out how to do this. It's definitely not obvious how one can generate a password. (That should be a relatively easy fix.) (2) This really needs to be an available-everywhere feature. It should be available on demand in the application and in all the extensions. That way the user is covered for any situations where 1Password does not recognize the input fields as password fields...or any other situation/context for which you've not anticipated.

• Hi @kaymac01,

I agree with both of your comments. The simple answer is that the full password generator wasn't ready for release, so all we can do is suggest workarounds until it is.

Your feedback helps us prioritize features so I really do appreciate it!

• kaymac01
    kaymac01
    Community Member

Hi Mitch, that's a useful and honest answer. Thanks. I can live with the workaround until it's implemented again. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Looking forward to this (and other features!) myself as well. Cheers! :) :+1:

• hmahncke
    hmahncke
    Community Member

Just want to upvote this feature for the next release - I had to change three passwords today, and having to open the app to do it was a hassle compared to using the old extension, which nicely let me specify the (weird) requirements for a site, and then generate and save a password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hmahncke: Thanks for letting us know! It's definitely something we want as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.