To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Merging Vaults from standalone to subscription-based across multiple platform devices.

jappleseed
jappleseed
Community Member

Recently I merged my standalone vault on my computer to what I believe is my subscription vault. In creating a new vault, I made a new master password.

My subscription vault is named "Personal", though I am not sure from where the vault is stored at online: whether it's Dropbox or 1Password server.

A few weeks later, I open my laptop and I find that I have a "Primary" vault AND a "Personal" vault under the same subscription. My first attempt at opening my vault on my laptop failed due to error in recognizing my "new" master password. It turns out that I had to use my old standalone master password (which was also used for my other devices in the past.)

So now I am confused. I thought I already had merged two vaults. I'm guess I have a vault synced with Dropbox and another vault synced with 1Password server; but I don't know which is which.

Now it seems like I have to merge vaults again on another device. These other devices are saving my new data on "Primary", while my "Personal" have some important data that "Primary" does not have.

I bought subscription for my own personal use for multiple devices and platforms; no other person is using them. My 1Password subscription account website calls my vault "Personal", but my other devices are saving to "Primary."

I'm wondering what does it take to finally merge these two vaults with most recent updates and without duplicates. Do I have to weed out data entries manually?

This seems complicated to me, merely because my other devices seem to act pretty weird.

jappleseed

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jappleseed: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! When you're using a 1Password.com membership, all data you put in your account is stored there. You'll have a Personal/Private vault.

Dropbox is not used for that. That is used to sync local vaults, like Primary. It sounds like you still have that in the app, so you will need to use the Master Password for the first vault/account setup in the app to unlock it — in this case, the one for your Primary vault.

The best thing to do would be to copy any data you are missing in your Personal/Private vault to that from your Primary vault on each device:

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

You can then verify that you have all of your data in your account through the website:

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

Once you know you have all of your data in your account, you can reset the app on each of your devices:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

And then setup 1Password on each one with only your 1Password.com account:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

That way yo'll have the same setup — and Master Password — on all of them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jappleseed
    jappleseed
    Community Member

Thanks for your explanation.

One more thing that I forgot to mention: my standalone computer only shows my "Personal" vault. I cannot access my "Primary" vault through my computer.

Is that something I should be concerned about?

jappleseed

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jappleseed: You're totally welcome! And no, that's nothing to be concerned about if you're using a 1Password.com account; the Primary vault is not part of that anyway, only the Personal vault is. :)

• jappleseed
    jappleseed
    Community Member

Thanks.

Just finished resetting 1Password on my laptop. Now it only has one vault - "Personal".

But I'm having trouble finding the reset on my Android phone...

Can you help?

Thanks,
    jappleseed

• jappleseed
    jappleseed
    Community Member

Nevermind. Figured it out. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have other questions! :)

• seamuswarren
    seamuswarren
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Confusion arises each time I see multiple vault options.

It's as if my "wheel" has two hubs.

Which vault is current and which redundant or are they automatically merged and synchronised?

I'm subscribed via iTunes so does this mean my "Personal" vault listed under "SEAMUS WARREN" in 1Password7 on my iMac is remotely stored on your servers (cloud-based) with password updates synchronised and disseminated to my desktops and devices?

I too have an apparently local (stored on the iMac) "Primary" account listed under "ON MY MAC".

As a good housekeeping measure, should I merge the two vaults and keep the single cloud-based "Personal" vault; then delete the local "ON MY MAC... Primary" vault or is each device supposed to have a local "Primary" vault in times of poor connectivity like intermittent network access?

Both vaults appear to be near identical (just one recently added username and password separating them) but I feel two vaults is confusing.

Not sure I understand what this "Membership" is all about.

Looks like a migration took place last year.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seamuswarren: Thanks for the illustration! Indeed, the Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. If you have everything you need in that vault, it's best to remove the Primary vault, which is stored only on your Mac, to avoid confusion. So if you just need to move a few things from Primary to Personal first, and then you can remove the Primary vault from all your devices. Then you'll have the same setup everywhere. :)

• seamuswarren
    seamuswarren
    Community Member

Hello Brenty and many thanks for the response. 🙏🏼😜

I deleted the “Primary” vault found on the iMac in favour of the “Personal” vault I believe is common - and, I hope synchronised - to my desktop and devices.

The Personal and Primary vaults contained a near identical quantity of logins - 84 vs. 85 respectively.

I anticipate a need to reset several passwords if some of the logins associated with the “Personal” vault are out of date.

Thank you. 👍🏼

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seamuswarren: The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. The Primary is not. If you want all of your data to be accessible across your devices by signing into your account, make sure everything is in the Personal vault and then remove the Primary vault.

This discussion has been closed.