What about security ? where are the pasword(s) stored ?

HWK
HWK
Community Member

what abot security ? where are the password(s) securely stored ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What about security ? where are the pasword(s) stored ?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you have the old-style licence, all data is stored encrypted on your computer unless you sync it elsewhere.

If you have the more modern subscription, the data is stored encrypted at 1password.com, with copies held locally.

It's the encryption that is crucial, there is never any useful data that could be stolen. All decryption is done locally. Even if someone had access to the material stored at 1password.com, they could not decrypt it without knowing your secret key and your master password, and these are never directly transmitted from your computer.

That's one of the good points about 1Password. There are often posts on the forums from people who have forgotten either their password or the secret key (the latter only needs entering once on each device, but would be required on a new device or a reformat of the hard drive), and they have to be told that the AgileBits staff can do nothing to recover the data, the user just has to start again. Other password managers allow staff to reset things, which is a security risk.

• Hi @HWK,

You can read about our approach here:

About the 1Password security model

And if you want to get into the technicals of how we've implemented it and how it works, further details can be found here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• HWK
    HWK
    Community Member

thanx so far.
    you said "the data is stored encrypted at 1password.com, with copies held locally"
    Where locally, which file/folder ?

• That depends on what platform and which version of 1Password we’re talking about. In the case of 1Password for Mac it also depends on whether you’re using the version from our website or the Mac App Store.

Just to be clear though, the locally stored copy is encrypted as well.

Ben

• HWK
    HWK
    Community Member

I use windows 10 and want toknow the location because of backups of my system drive and my data drive.

• Hi @HWK,

%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password is where data stored locally for 1Password 6 for Windows.

Rick

• HWK
    HWK
    Community Member

Thank you so much !!!
    Best,
    HWK.

• You're very welcome.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.