Feature request: Set up rules about what get copied next (like the 2FA auto copy )

Options
nle
nle
Community Member

I'm loving the new feature with the auto copy of the 2FA code i.e when logging in to a Google account. And I just thought that this could be extended by being able to set up rules for what to copy after username/password was inputted.

A typical use case for me would be Proton mail. There you first have to log in with your username and password, and then you need to enter your mailbox password (aka encryption key). If I were able to define a rule that said: "if auto input of username/password, then copy field 'mailbox password'".

The 2FA "rule" that is today would be the default, but to be able to build on this would be awesome.

Thanks! :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nle: That's a really cool idea! have you tried the new Quick Copy in 1Password for iOS? It's a bit similar to that, but having it customizable would be interesting. It's difficult since that can add a lot of complexity both to the UI and for users, but perhaps we can do something similar in the future. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have to admit I have not used the Quick Copy in iOS. I'm gonna do an effort to check it out now. I mostly just use the "share" function to open 1Password and get the auto fill from there in iOS.

Regarding UI, I don't think it has to be that complicated if you limit it to copy from one field.

I made a quick mockup of a solution that implements it in the existing design:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nle: I apologize, because now I realize that I had 1Password for iOS in mind when I said that...and clearly that's not what you were referring to. Our iOS and Mac apps share a lot of code, so it's helpful to try to do things in such a way that works well on both — at least behind the scenes. I agree that it's much less problematic on macOS with regard to UI! Hopefully we can bring Quick Copy to 1Password for Mac, and build on what we already have on iOS. :chuffed:

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@brenty That would be awesome.

I get that it's important to have consistency across the different OSes, but at least for me, that would be a "power user" feature that I could live with if it was macOS only. :)

There are a few of the options (like submit when enabled) that does not exist on iOS anyways.

• that would be a "power user" feature that I could live with if it was macOS only.

Amen. There's a time for cross-platform consistency, and then there's a time for making the most of the platform you're on.

The Mac team has been doing some work towards finding ways to bring more power user features to 1Password for Mac, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.