1password mini sluggish

Options
akissz
akissz
Community Member

i'm a developer. as everyone knows firefox has had some type of memory leaks for 5+ years. it effects 1password mini greatly. especially if you have three browsers running. first run firefox, chrome, and safari. and open 40 tabs in each browser with websites loaded. with 1password mini installed to only one browser, firefox. try too click on 1password mini from the mac mini tool in top right corner of macos. you will see the menu takes a lot of time to pop down. now try clicking 1password mini in firefox window, and it is same, very sluggish 1password mini. its 20 to 40 seconds 1password mini takes to load. if you can not reproduce this try loading 60 tab in each browser. now start a program like adobe photoshop, and photoshop loads just fine. now why is 1password mini sluggish and photoshop runs normal. i have noticed this 1password mini problem for many years. please try and fix this problem. maybe problem is connected a lot with firefox, i do not know. my firefox version is 57.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: I'm a tab addict myself, and I have to be honest: I see the same thing in all major browsers regardless of whether I even have 1Password setup in them at all. Firefox 57 and Safari 11 seem to have both improved in this area, but it's still noticeable. Has that been your experience as well? I usually have a lot more tabs open though, so it may be more pronounced for me. I'm not sure it's even a memory leak, but rather it seems to be runaway Javascript (since I do notice more problems with certain sites open). I'm not sure there's something special we can do to help, but we're always working to make 1Password more efficient. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

I do not think it is site related, or javascript related. Because all other browser add-ons function at normal speed! Its just 1password mini menu takes so long to open. It seems like a bug. Its like 1password mini is running on windows 3.0. i click the icon, and nothing happens so i know 1password mini is acting up and slow. so i click on it again. by that time i have moved my mouse, and then the menu shows up in a random place on my screen. i do not like that at all, especially when it prompts me for the password and the prompt box is in another area of the screen, this makes it a security issue also! it for some reason you try to click on 1password mini icon 10 times the prompt box flashes all over the screen in many area depending on where you have moved your mouse in the time the 1password mini has lagged behind your mouse movements. it ends up being a security issue for me because i am not confident the prompt box is on top of all my other windows on the operating system, thus i could be typing a important data in some other random website that i had opened at the times..

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe it is javascript related? If 1password mini heavy run with javascript verses other browser add-ons ?? If 1password mini is heavy on javascript when clicking the icon, can't this be changed slightly to not be so heavy on javascript so it functions more fluid like all other browser add-ons?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: Indeed. That's precisely it. The 1Password extension runs Javascript in the browser. We could certainly make it "lighter" or not use Javascript at all...but then it wouldn't do any of us any good, as it would be missing functionality we depend on: saving login credentials, filling logins and credit cards, etc. If you continue running into the same issue, I'll be happy to take a look at a diagnostics report if you'll send one right away. But again, we can't scale back the 1Password extension without scaling back its functionality.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

Can you try and improve the loading mechanism then? For example add a spinner (that shows it is loading data/javascript) on the 1password mini popup box and does not make restraint when the javascript problem is happening. Changing the way 1password reads the database would improve the problems also; make it read the database after the application is 100 percent running instead of reading the data prior to app loading 100 percent. Additionally can you improve the way the 1password mini follows the computer mouse around during these javascript problems. I do not think the box location should change if I am clicking on the 1password mini icon within a browser, why would it be following the mouse if the 1password mini is slow caused by javascript. I see many places to up the overall problem, if javascript can not be changed.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

Also: You could greatly improve performance if you disabled javascript on the app when the app is password locked. Only have javascript enabled when the app is not password locked. For example on computer, you click 1password mini icon, it asks for password now. This is when the javascript should be disabled. After I type a password and correct password only, then data loads, and javascript is enabled. This would improve performance overall. Now I am curious confirm our conversation with me, is Javascript enabled when the password box is displayed? IF javascript is not enabled when password prompt then its NOT javascript issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: I think you may be conflating the 1Password app with the extension. The app does not use Javascript. The extension, in order to interact with webpages, is Javascript. It will not be active when your browser in closed, or when it is disabled. But the rest of the time, in order to be useful (e.g. detect when you submit a login form and offer to save), it needs to be active.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm going to expand a little on what brenty has said just to clarify how things work in 1Password @akissz. The 1Password Browser Extension that lives inside the browser is merely a bridge between 1Password and the browser and the extension has no UI (User Interface) of its own beyond opening a page for authorisation prompts (currently only in Safari). All user interactions, all interfaces are supplied and handled by the 1Password process. The extension's only purpose is to analyse the open page to allow functionality such as autosave to work and fill based on the commands sent by 1Password. The extension uses standard event listeners to achieve various aspects of its functionality and any heaviness in the JavaScript is that we have to analyse the page for a variety of elements. If a page has 600+ input fields it can have a small impact. This analysis though does not occur when you click the 1Password Browser Extension button in the browser toolbar, it is later in the filling sequence.

Everything else though is the 1Password client and written in either ObjC or Swift - I don't know precisely what is written in what, just that those are the two languages used to a greater or lesser extent. Now I've certainly seen reports of sluggish unlocking which we're looking to improve on but all of those reports and their related performance issues were after 1Password mini had displayed the lock screen.

Did you obtain 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store or directly from our site (AgileBits Store) and how would you feel about testing a beta? I ask because we're hoping to make a number of under the hood improvements to 1Password in a future version and we would need to learn if these changes have any impact on the performance issues you're seeing given their scope. We don't have a beta ready yet so I'm not asking you to do anything at this precise moment, it's more about what options we have and the best way forward.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty No you just read my words as typos. I'm not confusing a app. When I say app I mean any app. 1password mini is a app, a extension app. Do you understand all of the comments that I wrote about how to improve the performance? I disagree with one thing you wrote (I think). For example if I have the browser minimized and click on the 1password mini icon on the system bar, it will have the same problem as stated before.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Thanks. I know how the software functions. I am a Internet Engineer & Security Analyst. I would rather help improve the released application. Did you understand all of my comments in this thread? I am not always clear with my words. So if you have questions please ask me. Send my comments to the 1password programmers please.

• @akissz,

Your recommendations would be good ones, but the majority don't apply to us. For example, you mentioned avoiding loading any javascript while locked. This is exactly what's done. I mean, some javascript runs, but it's minimal. As littlebobbytables mentioned, the extension is really just a bridge to the app. It does incredibly little on its own. When you click the button while locked, effectively all it does is send a message to 1Password mini saying "show yourself under my cursor".

You also mentioned not tracking the mouse. I can get that this would be annoying for you since things are slow. This is done because there's no API to get the location of the 1Password button within your browser. And the extension itself doesn't have its own interface (it delegates all of that responsibility to the native app). As I mentioned, the extension sends the "show yourself under my cursor" message to the app. The app can get your cursor position, and that's exactly what it does. When everything is running correctly, this ends up bringing up 1Password mini exactly where the user expects. In your case because of the slowdown/delay, this ends up coming up whereever your cursor happens to be when the message finally gets through.

The only time that heavy javascript gets run is when you want to do an action like saving a login.

When you're seeing this kind of sluggishness, is it limited to the browser, or is 1Password mini also slow to be interacted with from the menu bar?

Rick

This discussion has been closed.