1Password for iOS filling

This discussion was created from comments split from: ios 11, safari and firefox and 1password icon/usage.

Comments

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

My experience is 1P is not FILLING the login form and, therefore also not submitting on some sites like: people’s bank vis an iOS device: https://m.mbanking-services.mobi/res/363/en/smartwap3/index.vhtml?expand=true#mfaAuthenticate_Scr

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I'm referring primarily to Firefox for iOS. Another site where 1Password can be accessed via the Share menu but does not fill the login data is Schwab.com

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Another Firefox for iOS site where 1Password can be accessed via the Share menu but does not fill the login data is Chase.com.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Another Firefox for iOS site where 1Password can be accessed via the Share menu but does not fill the login data is Google.com. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I don't see any sites in Firefox for iOS where 1Password works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on the specific issues you're having. Here's what I'm seeing:

Schwab

https://lms.schwab.com/Login/Full?clientId=schwab-mweb&mobile=Yes

• filling via Share menu 1Password iOS extension work in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox

Chase

https://secure05c.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard#/dashboard/index/index

• filling does not work on iOS at all, as the site uses iframes for its login form now (this is a known limitation: Apple does not allow extensions to access these)

People's Bank

https://m.mbanking-services.mobi/res/363/en/smartwap3/index.vhtml?expand=true#mfaAuthenticate_Scr

• filling via Share menu 1Password iOS extension work in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox

Google

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&continue=https://mail.google.com/mail/&ss=1&scc=1&ltmpl=ecobh&nui=5&btmpl=mobile&emr=1&osid=1#

Given that nothing I'm seeing seems to match what you're reporting, I'm wondering what's different in your case. Can you tell me the iOS, 1Password, and Firefox versions you're using, and the exact steps you're taking? Also, just to clarify, as I mentioned earlier, 1Password cannot submit login forms automatically on iOS, so I wonder if some of this confusion is due to using built in iOS/browser filling. Let me know what you find!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Brenty, interesting. I can access 1Password thru the Share option, but it does not FILL-IN the login fields in Safari or Firefox. I must be missing something. When I get to the login page, I click on the Share button, and use touch ID to access 1Password. At that point, I run out of options. Tell me exactly how you are doing it, please.

I'm on iOS 11.1.2; latest versions of 1Password and Firefox (I do not know where to find the app version # on my phone any more.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: You can find the version of each app in their settings screen by scrolling to the bottom. I think this may be the key though:

When I get to the login page, I click on the Share button, and use touch ID to access 1Password. At that point, I run out of options. Tell me exactly how you are doing it, please.

Can you tell me what you mean by "I run out of options"? It sounds like you're stopping there. This guide covers all aspects of using the 1Password iOS extension:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

But I'm generally doing what you're saying, except that after I open the 1Password extension I tap my login for the current website there to have 1Password fill it. Have you saved logins for these sites in 1Password already?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Brenty,

I need to clarify the issue I'm seeing... it involves logging into sites using FIREFOX for iOS, not Safari. I'm finding that the usual method for using the "Share" button does not fill the user ID and password fields or, if it does, it does not submit the info to log in. This happens at a lot of major sites like Google.com, Chase.com, Schwab.com, Peoplesbank.com, and add to that Amazon.com.

Again, I'm seeing this when using Firefox of iOS, not Safari.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Actually, I just tested logging into Amazon.com on Firefox and Safari on my iPhone using the Share button. It did not work on either one. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with using the share button -- I've used it for a long time. It's that it is not working now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I need to clarify the issue I'm seeing... it involves logging into sites using FIREFOX for iOS, not Safari.

@AMCarter3: Ah, thank you for clarifying.

I'm finding that the usual method for using the "Share" button does not fill the user ID and password fields or, if it does, it does not submit the info to log in.

As I mentioned a few times earlier, 1Password for iOS can fill many logins forms, but it cannot submit them.

This happens at a lot of major sites like Google.com, Chase.com, Schwab.com, Peoplesbank.com, and add to that Amazon.com. Again, I'm seeing this when using Firefox of iOS, not Safari.

As I mention above, I tested this with Firefox in addition to Chrome and Safari. Which version of Firefox are you using? Are you having the same issue in Safari?

Actually, I just tested logging into Amazon.com on Firefox and Safari on my iPhone using the Share button. It did not work on either one. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with using the share button -- I've used it for a long time. It's that it is not working now.

I'm not having any trouble filling at Amazon in any browser either. What are the exact steps you're taking so I can try the same thing? And when you say "It did not work", what's happening? please be specific. I just don't have any frame of reference here apart from the guide I linked to earlier. :(

Have you tried reinstalling 1Password and Firefox? It may be that one or both are simply damaged on your iPhone. Let me know what you find!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Brenty,

First, let's get stop talking back and forth about the "SUBMIT" topic. My mistake in being unclear about FILL vs. SUBMIT. I understand 1P will not SUBMIT the login data on websites in Firefox for iOS and Safari. I'm talking about 1P's ability to "FILL" in the User ID and Password for many websites. That is not an issue. I know how to click the "enter" button.

Second, I would give you the version # for Firefox IF I could find it. Firefox IS listed in the list of apps on my phone in the first page in Settings, but the version # is NOT included in the description. None of my apps show the version #. Is there some other place to find the version #?

Third, the steps I go through to attempt to log in Firefox and Safari are the same every time:
    1) Go to the website
    2) Click on "login" link
    3) Click on "Share" page (3 dots in Firefox; xxx in Safari) and chose 1Password in lower list.
    4) Use Touch ID to login to 1P
    5) Click on the 1P login for my account at Amazon, Chase, Schwab, etc. -- whichever site I want is usually right there... first in the list.
    6) Then, look at the page to see if the login data populated the ID and Password fields. THIS WHERE THE FAILURE OCCURS. IT IS HAPPENING IN FIREFOX AND SAFARI.

I have not reinstalled 1p or Firefox yet.

Is that specific enough?

Lastly, this way of attempting to interact with great time delays and repeated misunderstanding on both sides of the conversation is very frustrating. I know you are trying to be helpful and I am trying to be clear. But, this process is on the edge of being a TOTAL waste of time in my view. I don't experience making ANY progress on this. Too many ridiculous hurdles like "Where are the app version #'s?". This would be about 200% faster, shorter, more effective and less aggrevating if it was a phone call.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

I just deleted and reinstalled 1P and Firefox on my phone. I logged into my 1P account and got it working. Then I tested by attempting to log into my Amazon.com account on Firefox and Safari. Same result as before. I can access 1P in both browsers and access my Amazon login data in 1P from the browser, but when I click on the my Amazon account login (in 1P), nothing happens... meaning no data is FILLED in.

• @AMCarter3: I think one of the reasons this is particularly perplexing is because we aren't seeing the same thing you are on our end. Indeed, I use Firefox as my primary browser and Safari regularly to test filling problems, and haven't had any issues on Amazon in either, for example. That said, the fact that we've identified at least one site where you're having trouble and I know for certain you shouldn't, this gives us a great item to work with. I use Amazon all the time and know what to expect.

Given we're unable to reproduce your problem, I'm inclined to wonder whether the trouble is with your items themselves rather than the filling process or the website/browser. Let's focus on your Amazon login to make things as simple as possible. Do you recall where this Login item was created? Was it created in one of the 1Password apps or was it imported from another source? If imported, where did it come from? If from one of the apps, could you share any details about which app and browser created the item? If you create a brand new Login item for Amazon in 1Password, will this Login item fill properly? This additional info will give us some clues as to what might be going wrong. Thanks! :+1:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Are we all talking about Firefox for iOS? I hope so. I don't have any issues accessing 1P in Firefox on my laptop.

Virtually all of my 771 passwords stored in 1Password, including the password for Amazon.com, were created using 1Password's password generator. They all work perfectly on my Macbook Pro, including for Amazon.com. 1Password used to fill in the user ID and password on my iPhone (6s) on virtually every website where I had an account. Now, it works on some, but does not work on a lot of sites including Amazon.com. Again, this is only happening on my iPhone.

To be more specific... I CAN log in on virtually all sites on my phone ONLY IF I do so through the 1Password app, including Amazon.com. However, if I attempt to log in thru the Safari app or the Firefox app (iOS only) using 1Password in the Share page, it does not FILL the user ID or password fields for Amazon.com and many other sites.

I'm going to create a new password for Amazon.com using 1P's password generator on my iPhone... OK... did that.

Tried to login to Amazon.com on Safari and Firefox (iOS) again. It did not work. However, again, it does work only IF I login via the 1Password app on my phone.

• @AMCarter3: Indeed, I was talking about Firefox on iOS and I should have specified, I'm sorry. If 1Password created these items and they work on Mac, I do think there must be something deeper going on here that's going to be more difficult to suss out on the forum. It sounds like you are certainly experiencing some sort of systemic issue here, but we'll need to take a closer look to find the cause. While the iOS extension isn't perfect, it certainly should be better than you're experiencing and I feel we've ruled out any obvious problems with your items themselves or your setup. At this point, I'd like to take a look at some diagnostics from your iPhone:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Please send your diagnostics to support+forum@agilebits.com and use [#WFM-37778-895] as the subject of your e-mail. This will hook them up with a ticket I've created for you and ensure I'm notified when they arrive. This will give us a look behind the scenes and save us some additional back-and-forth trying a few things at a time. I can't promise this is the end of it, but it'll give us some more specific information to look at and hopefully point us in a more definite direction. I'll keep an eye out for your e-mail and we'll take a look as soon as it arrives. :chuffed:

A note to others reading: This support ID is for AMCarter3 only. If you have a similar issue, please let us know and we'll create a different one for you. :+1:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Kate, I am a little confused by the instructions. After clicking on the link you sent to send a diagnostics report, it says "you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device. Then follow these steps...".

What's confusing is that this statement seems to assume that I do not have any email accounts at all and will be creating one for the first time. Is that true? That seems absurd and unrealistic. Or, does it mean I will be setting up some kind of special temporary email account that is used ONLY to transmit the diagnostics report? Can you clarify these instructions about this "email" account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: I'm really sorry that you're still having trouble with this. But to be clear, we don't have a call center, and a phone call will not help anyway. This isn't something we can fix for you directly, and communicating version information and other technical details and instructions via voice is not really feasible. For example, I originally asked for the versions you're using on November 28th, and a phone call would not have allowed us to get this information either; we'd still need you to tell us. :(

The version of Firefox can be found (as I mentioned earlier) in Firefox > Settings (scroll down):

But it can also be found in iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Firefox:

It sounds like you're just on the previous screen, and you just need to tap "Firefox" there to show its details.

1Password for iOS also has its version number in both iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage > 1Password, and at the bottom in 1Password for iOS Settings.

To be more specific... I CAN log in on virtually all sites on my phone ONLY IF I do so through the 1Password app, including Amazon.com. However, if I attempt to log in thru the Safari app or the Firefox app (iOS only) using 1Password in the Share page, it does not FILL the user ID or password fields for Amazon.com and many other sites.

That is very helpful! It indicates that the issue is with the 1Password iOS extension only in web browsers. Knowing which version of 1Password you're using would be great, but I suspect that simply installing a fresh copy of the latest version would help. We've occasionally seen cases in the past where the iOS extension was damaged, which would explain why literally everything else seems to work but not that. Just be sure to backup your data first before deleting and reinstalling 1Password.

I'm really sorry this is dragging out for so long, but I really expected that there was just a simple thing we were missing here since, as far as I can tell, it works for everyone else. That sounds pretty depressing, but the flip side is that almost certainly with some more information I'm sure we can find a resolution so that it works for you too. :blush:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

iOS version #11.2 (15C114)
    1Password for iOS version #7.0.3
    Firefox for iOS version # 10.3 (7934)

I am a confused by the instructions Kate sent me about submitting a Diagnostic report. After clicking on the link she sent, it says "you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device. Then follow these steps...". What's confusing is that this statement seems to assume that I do not have any email accounts at all and will be creating one for the first time. Is that true? That seems absurd and unrealistic.

Or, does it mean I will be setting up some kind of special temporary email account that is used ONLY to transmit the diagnostics report? Can you clarify these instructions about this "email" account?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Further update... I tried logging into Amazon.com again. Same result. I can access 1P, but clicking on it in the Share page does not FILL the ID and password fields. However, it does fill it for Facebook.com. And that underlines the point I've been trying to tell you. I know how the method works. It simply works for some sites like Facebook, but does not work for other sites like Amazon, Chase, Peoples Bank, Schwab, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@AMCarter3: Sorry! I didn't see you'd also replied again to Kate until reading my notifications just now.

Kate, I am a little confused by the instructions. After clicking on the link you sent to send a diagnostics report, it says "you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device. Then follow these steps...". What's confusing is that this statement seems to assume that I do not have any email accounts at all and will be creating one for the first time. Is that true? That seems absurd and unrealistic. Or, does it mean I will be setting up some kind of special temporary email account that is used ONLY to transmit the diagnostics report? Can you clarify these instructions about this "email" account? Or, does it mean I will be setting up some kind of special temporary email account that is used ONLY to transmit the diagnostics report? Can you clarify these instructions about this "email" account?

We don't have any way of knowing if you've already setup an account so that the Mail app can be used to send an email. Many people don't (I guess they use a 3rd party email client, or don't use email at all), so I think it's important to clarify that this needs to be done first "Before you can send a diagnostics report", as mentioned in the guide for sending diagnostics. If you've already met the "Before..." criteria, you can safely move on to the next part.

Further update... I tried logging into Amazon.com again. Same result. I can access 1P, but clicking on it in the Share page does not FILL the ID and password fields. However, it does fill it for Facebook.com. And that underlines the point I've been trying to tell you. I know how the method works. It simply works for some sites like Facebook, but does not work for other sites like Amazon, Chase, Peoples Bank, Schwab, etc.

Thanks for telling us that. Do you have iCloud Keychain enabled? Perhaps you have Facebook login credentials saved there. Also, do you have iOS Settings > Safari > Autofill > Names & Passwords enabled? You may have Safari doing this for you already, which could interfere with you trying to have 1Password fill.

Have you tried reinstalling 1Password? Again, be sure to backup your data first. See if that helps, and then send the diagnostics if you're still having the same issue so we can take a look!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Interesting. I suggest you modify the instructions for sending a diagnostic report to clarify your assumption that the user "may not" be using Apple Mail and therefore may not have an email account already set up. (I hardly know any "mac" users who do not use Apple Mail).

Yes, iCloud Keychain is ON in my iPhone and iPad.

"Names & Passwords" is OFF on my iPhone and ON in my iPad. I just turned it OFF on my iPad. I want to only use 1P as my source for login data, and not save it in Safari. I'm assuming this makes sense to you. True?

As I commented on 12/2, I deleted and reinstalled 1P and Firefox on my iPhone. I logged into my 1P account and got it working. Then I tested by attempting to log into my Amazon.com account on Firefox and Safari. Same result as before... I can access 1P in both browsers using the Share page, but when I click on my Amazon account login (in 1P), nothing happens... meaning no data is FILLED in. Nothing changed.

One thing I have noticed... and this seems important... my 1Password password data on my iPad are different from my computer and iPhone. The number of: total items, logins, and passwords are different on my iPad vs. my iPhone and computer (which match). I will DELETE 1P from my iPad and reinstall it.

I just did that - reinstalled 1P on my iPad. Then I connected to my 1P account with my master password and after about 10 mins, it fully syncs now with my computer and iPhone 1P -- all show 1,071 items. AND, good news, I am able to log into Amazon.com using 1P via the Share page!

HOWEVER, I am still NOT able to login on Schwab.com or Chase.com.

I will send the diagnostic report.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @AMCarter3. :)

Ben

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

I suggest you modify the instructions for sending a diagnostic report to clarify your assumption that the user "may not" be using Apple Mail and therefore may not have an email account already set up.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting for that. How to send a 1Password diagnostics report instructions for iOS already start off by saying:

Before you can send a diagnostics report, you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device.

… linking to this Apple Support article:

Set up an email account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: Thanks for getting back to me! As I mentioned after my initial testing, the Chase website uses an iframe, and since iOS does not allow extensions access to those 1Password cannot fill in that case. So you'll need to copy and paste there (I personally just use their app anyway; it supports Touch ID so it isn't too bad). So that's expected, and I'm glad to hear that the other sites are working for you now. Schwab has me a bit stumped though, as your experience seems to be different from mine still. Are you using this URL, the one mentioned earlier?

https://lms.schwab.com/Login/Full?clientId=schwab-mweb&mobile=Yes

Or are you trying to login somewhere else? I just tested this again in Safari and Firefox, and I am able to use the 1Password extension to fill there. Let me know!

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Brenty,

While I use Schwab's app on my phone or iPad frequently, I usually access my account on a web browser at what I think of as their normal URL for accessing their site. I prefer the larger layout design of a web browser vs. the smaller format on an iPhone. The URL you sent DOES WORK with 1P. Thanks for that. I have to add it to my Bookmarks. The URL I've used by simply typing "schwab.com" that does NOT work with 1P is: https://client.schwab.com/Login/SignOn/CustomerCenterLogin.aspx?&kc=y

The mobile site you are using for Schwab is different and it DOES WORK with 1P. Thanks for that: https://lms.schwab.com/Login/Full?clientId=schwab-mweb&mobile=Yes I have to add this to my Bookmarks... and I have to ask... how would I have ever discovered this URL?

Same with Chase. I have their app, but I tend to avoid using it -- I prefer accessing my account via a web browser at: https://secure01b.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard#/dashboard/index/index And, it does not work with 1P for me.

What baffles me most about this issue, is a site like Amazon.com. I usually access my Amazon account with 1P on my computer and occasionally on my iPhone or my iPad. However, as you know, I cannot get 1P to fill in the login data on my iPhone or on my iPad for Amazon.com on Safari or Firefox. I don't understand that. Here's the URL I get when I type in "Amazon.com" on my phone or iPad:

https://www.amazon.com/ap/signin?_encoding=UTF8&openid.assoc_handle=anywhere_v2_us&openid.claimed_id=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&openid.identity=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&openid.mode=checkid_setup&openid.ns=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0&openid.ns.pape=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fextensions%2Fpape%2F1.0&openid.pape.max_auth_age=0&openid.return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Faw%2Fpsi.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26cartID%3D160-4744364-1152642%26destinationURL%3D%252Fgp%252Faw%252Fya%26packedQuery%3Dref_%257Cnavm_hdr_profile&pageId=anywhere_us

Are you also using some unique URL for mobile access to Amazon.com?

From what you are sharing with me, I am beginning to get a sense that there are unique URL's that work with 1P for accessing the banking and credit card sites where I'm am unable to use 1P when I simply type their name as the URL... And if that is true, it means I would need to have and use bookmarks for these sites.

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

To Ben...

To clarify what I said, if you go to the page with the instructions for sending a diagnostic report, it says:"Before you can send a diagnostics report, you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device. Then follow these steps:" That statement was confusing to me since I have several email accounts already. I could not imagine why Agilebits would be asking me to create another email account just to send a diagnostic report. The instructions do not clarify that Agilebits is assuming the person reading the instructions MAY not have an email account. That is my point. I suggest you modify the language in this set of instructions so it is clear that people who already have an email account do NOT need to create a new email account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: Aha! Thank you!

While I use Schwab's app on my phone or iPad frequently, I also like logging in to Schwab.com on a web browser at what I think of as their normal URL for accessing their site. I prefer the larger layout design of a web browser vs. the smaller format on an iPhone.

I'm with you there: I prefer websites to installing apps generally speaking...but in cases where they make the websites fairly unusable on mobile (I often suspect this is intentional) I do use the apps.

The URL you sent DOES WORK with 1P. Thanks for that. I have to add it to my Bookmarks.

Whew! Thanks for confirming! I was afraid there might be something else going on since I'd mentioned that URL on the 28th and you were still having issues. Just glad I'm not losing my mind! :lol: l

The URL I've used by simply typing "schwab.com" that does NOT work with 1P is: https://client.schwab.com/Login/SignOn/CustomerCenterLogin.aspx?&kc=y

Thank you! Looking at that login form, it's the same thing as with Chase: Schwab is loading their login form in a frame, from an entirely different webpage, in that box there. iOS doesn't allow us access to that, and for good reason: neither you nor 1Password has any way of knowing the source of the login form (apart from inspecting the code in a desktop browser). You're visiting this URL:

https://client.schwab.com/Login/SignOn/CustomerCenterLogin.aspx?&kc=y

But the username and password fields there are from this URL:

https://lms.schwab.com/Login?ClientId=schwab-secondary&StartInSetId=1&enableAppD=false&RedirectUri=client.schwab.com/Login/Signon/AuthCodeHandler.ashx

And it could just as easily be loading from a phishing site, and there's no way for you to see that it isn't, so iOS restricts access to these. I hope that explanation helps illuminate what is pretty opaque, but let me know if you have any questions.

Same with Chase. I have their app, but I tend to avoid using it -- I prefer accessing my account via a web browser at: https://secure01b.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard#/dashboard/index/index

Unfortunately there is, as far as I know, no non-frame login form with Chase anymore — at least on mobile. That's why I'd recommend the app in that case. They have some normal login forms that could work, but on a mobile device they always redirect to one of these, which does not work on iOS. The app isn't great, but it at least works.

What baffles me most about this issue, is a site like Amazon.com. I usually access my Amazon account with 1P on my computer and occasionally on my iPhone or my iPad. However, as you know, I cannot get 1P to fill in the login data on my iPhone or on my iPad for Amazon.com on Safari or Firefox. I don't understand that. Here's the URL I get when I type in "Amazon.com" on my phone or iPad:

That's baffling to me too, but I'm encouraged by the fact that we've been able to solve the other heretofore seemingly unsolvable mysteries. I think we can figure this one out too. ;)

It sounds like you may have saved this login a long time ago, or perhaps created it by hand at some point. In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form (even better using the 1Password browser extension on the computer, if that is an option for you). Just try these steps:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Tap the 'key' icon (or the Share button, to use the extension in Safari) to bring up the login menu
    4. Tap + New Login
    5. Tap Save
    6. Close the webpage and tap the URL in your new login item to have 1Password fill it
    7. Tap the "Sign in"/"Log in" button to submit the form

I know Amazon has recently changed their login process, and given that I'm able to save and fill a login here with 1Password I suspect we can find something that will work for you too. Let me know if that helps.

So, from what you are sharing with me, I am beginning to get a sense that there are unique URL's that work with 1P for accessing the banking and credit card sites where I'm am unable to use 1P when I simply type their name as the URL... And if that is true, it means I would need to have and use bookmarks for these sites.

Essentially not all webforms are created equally. Some are very logical and easy for 1Password to navigate, others are not. In the cases of Chase and Schwab, I have little doubt that 1Password could fill those forms if it had access to them, but it doesn't. And some other login forms are seemingly designed to be a bit hostile, which causes problems not only for 1Password but also accessibility in general. We have a guide for
    designing compatible websites which can help in both respects, but not everyone follows established web standards. But while we try to promote this, we're not counting on everyone following that and continue to work to improve 1Password's filling ourselves.

Rather than bookmarks, I just save my preferred login URLs in 1Password itself. This makes it easy to go and fill using 1Browser in 1Password for iOS, or in a web browser on my computer. It's a matter of personal preference though, so if you prefer bookmarks that's fine too. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AMCarter3: I missed your last reply while writing one of my own. I suspect Ben and Scott are off counting sheep, so I'll jump in here in their stead as well:

To clarify what I said, if you go to the page with the instructions for sending a diagnostic report, it says:"Before you can send a diagnostics report, you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device. Then follow these steps:" That statement was confusing to me since I have several email accounts already. I could not imagine why Agilebits would be asking me to create another email account just to send a diagnostic report. The instructions do not clarify that Agilebits is assuming the person reading the instructions MAY not have an email account. That is my point. I suggest you modify the language in this set of instructions so it is clear that people who already have an email account do NOT need to create a new email account.

I think at this point we're getting into semantics, but I think it's worth pointing out that the instructions do not say "Before you send a diagnostics report, set up an email account on your iOS device." Rather, it's saying (emphasis added),

Before you can send a diagnostics report, you’ll need to set up an email account on your iOS device.

If you've already setup email in iOS, it doesn't apply to you; it only applies to someone who hasn't done so already. Given the way iOS works, it isn't possible for 1Password to automatically use whatever 3rd party client the user has setup; so we invoke Apple's own Mail APIs to send it, but not everyone has that setup already. We'd hate that to be an impediment to contacting us for assistance, so we include that in the instructions for cases where it is necessary. :)

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

Brenty,

We are talking semantics and I don't think that's a bad thing or a waste time. Most people are really sloppy and somewhat ignorant about the English language. Yes, your copy of the text I referred to is more accurate than mine. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why mine wasn't accurate since I copied it directly from your site page. Very strange.

In any case, whether or not that instruction statement applies to the reader requires an interpretation based on the assumptions of the reader. One of my assumptions about Agilebits is that you guys are generally EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD at articulating instructions and guidelines. Frankly, I think you are quite amazing as a small company in terms of culture, quality of products and overall competence of your staff. So, when I see something like an instruction that does NOT make sense to ME, I tend to assume YOU know something I don't know and in this case purposely requested the creation of a new email account. Since that did not make sense to ME, I simply asked for clarification. What I'm getting back is the equivalent of resistance to my feedback in the form of "How could you possibly not understand that since you already have an email account, you don't need to follow this instruction." Well, I did not understand it. It made no sense to me. And I think you could improve that page by making the instructions more clear. That's simply my feedback. Take it or leave it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Semantics indeed! I love it. :)

Thank you for the kind words, and for your patience throughout all of this. I am sorry that it wasn't clear, and that you got the impression that I was being dismissive of your opinion. I think you may be giving us a bit too much credit with regard to knowing something you don't (when it comes to email at least), but that's a good problem to have! :blush:

If we can think of a better way of saying the same thing, covering both scenarios (Mail setup or not), I'm sure we'll make some changes there. I really appreciate your feedback on this. It's not that I even really disagree with you, only that I don't want to be hasty in changing it when we haven't gotten similar feedback from others. But we'll definitely keep this in mind as we continue tweaking this and other support guides. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.