Accessing shared vault via DropBox from 1Password 6 in Windows

Hi... I am a Mac user with 1Password 6, which I purchased outright. I have a personal vault and two shared vaults using DropBox. I am used to sharing one of them with my partner who also has a Mac. I do not have or use a 1Password account.

I am now trying to share the other vault with a Windows user whom I have introduced to 1Password. I am not familiar with Windows. She has 1Password 6 installed OK and can save logins to her personal vault etc. So that is working OK. I am trying to get it so she can share the shared vault via DropBox. We have got as far as finding she needed to create a new vault via her 1Password account. She seems to have copied the contents of the vault from DropBox into that new vault but it does not seem to be synchronising with me. I suspect she has just a snapshot copy.

Can someone please point out how we achieve synchronisation? Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:open vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antipole: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Windows version 6 is a brand new app that only works with 1Password.com accounts. We're working on support for local vaults for version 7, but I can't say when that will be ready. 1Password for Windows version 4 supports local vaults, so that will be the only way to use the vault you're sharing with Dropbox until version 7 is available. It does sound like she just copied the data over to one of her own vaults. If she's using 1Password Families or 1Password Teams, she could invite you as a guest there to share a single vault with you. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• antipole
    antipole
    Community Member

@benty - thanks for your response. Yes - if I make a change to to something in the shared vault, she does not see it, so must have a copy. She downloaded version 4 and that indeed synchronises with the shared vault. However, version 4 is, we understand, on a trial period, so will stop working after a short while? Is there any way she can continue to use v4 until v7 is available?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antipole: There isn't. 1Password 4 is no longer available, as it is not being developed. We're working on 1Password 7 now. And I'm not sure why she should need to use two apps to share with you when you can use both a local vault stored in Dropbox and a 1Password.com account in 1Password for Mac version 6. Did you try my suggestion to use a guest account? You'd both be able to share the same vault in that case, without having to copy between vaults.

• antipole
    antipole
    Community Member

@benty .. thanks for your interest. I don't think the guest account does it for us because:

• I do not have a 1Password.com account because I purchased outright
    • My friend needs both her own vault and access to our shared account
    • She needs to be able to add stuff to our shared vault.

She is proposing to use 1Password 4 until 1Password 7 is released. However, I believe 1Password 4 will stop working for her after a week when the trial expires. Is that correct?

I am proposing that she uses the copy of the shared stuff she has, and we keep each other manually updated by emailing any additional or changed entries to each other until 1Password 7 becomes available. There will be very few.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@antipole I've sent you an email; please check either Spam or Bulk filters if you don't see it in your inbox. :)

ref: LHN-84442-225

• Listening
    Listening
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem. I will not store my vault on your server, so you're saying I have no way of accessing my vault on Windows?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Listening! If you're already using 1Password for Mac and have recently been thrust into a situation where you must have access on a PC and you also will not consider a 1password.com account, then no, there's no way currently to use/access your 1Password data on a PC.

However, you do have more general options; which one you prefer just depends on how adamant you are about not using a 1password.com account:

1. That first choice is indeed a 1Password membership, which allows you immediate access to all four of our native applications (Mac, Windows, Android and iOS) as well as web access and the ability to use the recently released 1Password X in Chrome on any OS.
    2. As soon as 1Password 7 for Windows is released, there will be a way for you to purchase a standalone app that will work with local vaults on your PC(s) in addition to the license you already have for your Mac.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and enjoy your evening. :)

• Listening
    Listening
    Community Member

Is there a timeframe of the release of version 7?

Thank you for the reply!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Listening - no, nothing to share right now in terms of specifics. There are way too many variables that go into making sure a release is truly ready to roll out for us to make the mistake of announcing a launch date much in advance. But keep an eye on either our blog or our Twitter feed to keep current with the latest news. Believe me, we want version 7 out as much as the community does -- we're just not willing to release something that's not tested and ready.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Listening: And just to clarify, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance, and that applies equally to all "flavours" of 1Password.

But 1Password.com also has the added security of the (128-bit, randomly generated) Secret Key, so that even if someone breaks into our server and steals the database they don't have the "keys" needed to decrypt it — and cannot perform brute force attacks against 1Password users' Master Passwords, since the Secret Key is also needed to decrypt it.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.