iOS11 have a copy paste issue

AreDigg
AreDigg
Community Member

In ios11 the app works fine, but I am not sure if it is a design decision or a bug from Apple, but when copy and paste a password, special characters becomes "html" equivalents, and thus does not work.

I just wanted to make this heads up for anyone becoming frustrated (like me).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@AreDigg this is why I don't download anything beta. iOS 11 just came out and I bet the people at AgileBits are working on this.

• Zod
    Zod
    Community Member

iOS betas are pretty risky, especially in their initial status. Anyway you should wait because iOS 11 will have a new password autofill for apps (same as Android O) which 1Password and other password managers will certainly benefit from

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2017

Hi @AreDigg ,

Where are you pasting the password? If you are pasting in Notes, it may be the Notes app doing that. I notice that in macOS Sierra, if you paste a password with a colon in it into the Notes app, it thinks it's a URL and everything before the colon is the URL scheme. e.g. if my password was sddj:dfre#dd, when pasting it into Notes, it would format it as a URL and would escape the # character.

Usually copying to the clipboard does not alter the data - that would break a lot of apps. But when an app pastes data, it can interpret the data any way it wants. Either way, we'll look into it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• AreDigg
    AreDigg
    Community Member

No, actually Notes works fine, it is iOS Safari that seem to be the problem. And any app that uses webkit I think. I can't even copy from within the 1password app and paste it into the internal web browser. As long as I can use the widget I am fine, but if I need to paste the password into a webform it fails. It seem after some testing to be the brackets [ and ] which are causing the problem. Changing and removing those from the password solves the problem as far as I can tell.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AreDigg: I've seen this in Messages. It seems to be some encoding thing, and we've had reports of this on iOS 10 as well (and perhaps 9 — I forget). But having this happen in Safari is a new one to me, and I can see how that could be a huge bummer. Thanks for letting us know about this!

ref: OPI-3704

• bekrell
    bekrell
    Community Member

I had a similar issue and it was causes by Apple's own Workflow app. If you have it installed, remove it and the problem might be gone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's really interesting. I have it installed, but admittedly don't use it often. Thanks for letting us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.