One-Time Passwords incorrect on work computer

Brant W.
Brant W.
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have the latest beta (6.8.473) installed on my work computer and it is running fine. I recently noticed that none of my one-time passwords were working when I copied them. Turns out that all my one-time passwords on my work computer are wrong. This seems to be the only computer affected by it. I'm running the same version on my Windows computer at home and it is fine. I'm also running the latest beta on a Mac, iPhone, and iPad and they are all fine.

1Password Version: 6.8.473
Extension Version: 4.6.13.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sync Type: 1password Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Brant W.: Make sure that you set the date/time/zone there the same as your other devices (where it works). You may have to do so manually. If it's even a little bit off, that really messes up the "time" function of "Time-based One-Time Passwords". Cheers! :)

• Brant W.
    Brant W.
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. Most likely that is the issue. Looks like they do not allow me to keep the time synced with the internet server. It's about a minute behind all my other devices. Guess I'll have to see if IT can change that for me.

• Hi @Brant W.,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. Hopefully, your IT folks can fix that because the time does have to be nearly perfect for a lot of security features to work correctly, not just 1Password but any secure connections as well.

• @Brant W. I just wanted to highlight that most one-time passwords are changing every 30 seconds, that's what makes them "one-time" - even if someone got it, it's valid for half a minute only.

• Brant W.
    Brant W.
    Community Member

Yep. All that makes sense to me. Just a matter of getting ahold of IT on a holiday week.

• Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Too bad it isn't a minute ahead, or you could just grab the code and wait 60 seconds before using it... :blush:

• Brant W.
    Brant W.
    Community Member

LOL. That would be much better. 8-)

• :lol: That would be funny to explain to people as you look at your watch waiting at the login screen.

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member

This is a feature?!?! :dizzy:

Oh this changes everything...

I've been stacking the information into the Text field and configuring TBC with an app on my phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DariusR: Glad to surprise you in such a delightful way! I think I had a similar reaction when we introduced TOTP support. :lol:

We've got a great guide to setting up TOTP in 1Password on our support site:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

And I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.