Syncing Has Stopped Working After Update

Options
idimmu
idimmu
Community Member

After updating from the Apple App Store syncing to Dropbox seems to have stopped working.

28/11/2017 10:07:33.367 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper[6130]: 684000 [HELPER:(Main Thread):<OPHelperAppDelegate: 0x7f860a201b00>] E profileSyncMustBeDisabled: | Disabling sync for <OPProfile-2033F79232CA4711A9A4D57B066FC2A4-1 'default' 0x7f8608d45120> because of the error: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=253 "1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again., NSURL=file:///Users/rus/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault/, NSFilePath=/Users/rus/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f860d806aa0 {Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=256 "1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile.}}}

and I get the least useful popup message ever.

Over the years of using 1Password, my Dropbox folder has been somewhat polluted.

I have 59 files in /Users/rus/Dropbox with the following naming structure, which I believe are 1Passwords?

/Users/rus/Dropbox/mbhd-5eeeaa8f-2be74b3a-2c3776f0-5e7db8b7-63f4a879-20160826083958.zip.aes

I also have

/Users/rus/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain

and now 1Password wants to create

/Users/rus/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

How can I undo this mess, clean up my Dropbox and resume syncing to my iPhone and iPad with out loss of data please? The 1Password instance on my Mac (OS X El Capitan 10.11.4) is the canonical authority.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idimmu -- sorry to hear you're having troubles just now. First of all, don't panic. From what you've posted here, none of this looks irretrievable, though it may take a few steps. First things first: is all of your data available within 1Password for Mac itself? I assume this is the case based on what you've written, but if that's not the case, do NOT proceed with any of the below steps. Let me know instead.

First, some definitions: Agile Keychain and OPVault are both sync keychain formats. Agile Keychain was designed around the same time as 1Password 3 for Mac, way back in the 2009 era. It was our first move away from the Mac System Keychain, and into the realm of our own, more-flexible format. Up until not that long ago (about 18 months), Agile Keychain was the default keychain format that would be written out by 1Password if you chose either Folder Sync or Dropbox as your sync method. Since April of 2016, OPVault is the newer and upgraded version (see those two previous links for the nitty-gritty differences, if you're interested). That's why 1Password is asking you to write out a new sync keychain in OPVault format.

Frankly, given the mess you say is in your Dropbox right now, I'd accept the choice -- but there's a little housecleaning you'll need to do. Specifically: do you have other devices' 1Password instances synced via Dropbox? If you do, in order to use the new keychain format, you'll first need to go to each of those other devices and visit either Preferences or Settings (depending on device) and disable syncing. Then, return to your Mac here and accept the suggestion to write out the .opvault folder in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/. Give it a moment or two to fully sync, and then you can return to your other devices and re-enable sync -- but make sure you choose that new OPVault you just created, instead of either the older Agile Keychain or even creating yet another new sync keychain from one or more of these devices.

For fuller, step-by-step instructions on how to do this, please follow these instructions, which are basically a more-thorough walk through of what I've just outlined for you. Let us know if you hit any snags, and have a great rest of your day. :)

• idimmu
    idimmu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the reply, I did as you suggested, removed Dropbox sync from my iPhone and iPad. Removed it from the OSX app and removed the opVault just to make sure, then started again.

No errors this time, which is perfect, but it just sits there saying Never Synced.

Is this normal behaviour? It's been 10 minutes ..

Thanks for the help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idimmu - If that's the case, please lock (click the lock icon so you're taken back to the lock screen), then unlock 1Password again with your Master Password. That will force a sync. I suspect the reason it's saying it has never synced is because nothing's changed since you created it: technically, it never HAS synced after initial creation. But locking and unlocking 1Password will always force a sync. Let us know if you run into any other difficulties.

• idimmu
    idimmu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Locked and unlocked twice, still same issue.. Turned it off and on again, same issue. Killed all running processes related to agilebit or 1Password, same issue. Locked and unlocked it again, same issue ...

Trying to sync my iphone returns this error

stuck .... :D

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idimmu - OK, so it looks as if what you're seeing is that some other instance of 1Password on a different device actually created the OPVault. From your description above, it sounded as if you were writing out a NEW OPVault, not linking to an existing one. In most cases, this is fine (since you're the only one with access to both your Dropbox and your 1Password data). You can typically click More Information and then Merge Anyway and 1Password will (conservatively) merge the data in your device with that in the selected keychain.

However, given that this is happening over multiple devices, it's probably a good idea that we take a closer look, which is something better discussed over email than this public forum. I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84478/syncing-has-stopped-working-after-update#latest
    • Your forum username: idimmu

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the title/subject.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• idimmu
    idimmu
    Community Member
    Options

support ID is [#NSP-51894-625]

thanks for the support to date, ive sent you a bunch of stuff via email, lets see how it goes :)

Thank you, i appreciate the help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @idimmu -- I've replied via email; let's keep the conversation going over there. :)

ref: NSP-51894-625

This discussion has been closed.