Browser Plugin Problem with Firefox 57

Options
alembic
alembic
Community Member

I cannot get 1Password to work with the latest stable version of Firefox version. The toolbar icon is disabled and Firefox displays an alert "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser". I've tried removing and re-installing the plugin, restarting Firefox, restarting macOS. I don't see anything abnormal with regards to Little Snitch rules. 1Password is working with Safari however.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alembic: Hmm. That's odd. It seems to be working for others, so there must be something different about your setup. I'm not sure it's safe to take "latest stable version" as gospel, so if you'd humour me and tell me the exact version number that would be helpful! Often "security" software will modify the browser, which may prevent it from being authenticated. On occasion the app is simply damaged, so installing a fresh cop of Firefox may help too. Let me know what you find!

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty, I'm using Firefox 57.0. I tried re-installing it, re-installing the browser extension, turned off my VPN client, but no go. The error alert appears immediately after I click Add to approve the installation of the plugin. I'll work on it.

• datafan
    datafan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I have the same problem. Google Chrome extension works fine, Firefox 57 not!

• skipole
    skipole
    Community Member
    Options

Had similar problem with Firefox 57. Every page I launched said security was bad. Deleted the Firefox ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox folder and relaunched. Relaunch of Firefox 57 now worked. I then downloaded the Firefox version of plugin with Safari and dragged it onto Firefox and did a manual install. It now appears to be working.

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately skipole's suggestions did not work for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@skipole: That's not something I've ever encountered before, so I appreciate you bringing it up. It may help others in the future, if not those present now. :)

@datafan, @alembic: What we typically see is that "security" software is or has made changes to the browser, which either prevent a secure connection from being established in the first place to download the file, or subsequently prevent it from being installed. This could be something you have running on your computer currently, or whose leavings have Firefox in a state with broken security certificates and/or settings. I can't be more specific than that unfortunately since I know nothing about your systems.

To clarify, this is common in Firefox but not Chrome, because Google doesn't have the legacy baggage Firefox does and has a zero tolerance policy with regard to 3rd parties modifying it — nothing against Firefox, as Google had the benefit of learning from Mozilla's challenges).

There's a bit of a bandaid that can help: you can probably download the Firefox extension XPI using a different browser and simply drag it to Firefox to install it. Unfortunately that does not solve the root issue, which will probably cause problems for you going forward as well if left unaddressed, especially with updates. So I'd encourage you to look into it and put a stop to whatever is the cause. There just isn't anything we can do to stop other software or settings from interfering with Firefox's normal operations, but it would be good to hear what you find in case others are in a similar situation. :blush:

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I don't have security software installed on the affected laptop; I have re-downloaded and installed FF 57 (including creating a new application folder, ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/) and tried downloading the browser extension via Safari to install it manually as suggested. None of this has worked. One factor to consider is that my laptop does NOT have a clean install of Sierra (upgrade from El Capitan), but that doesn't seem too likely since I suspect there are many similar environments running 1Password successfully with FF 57.

• @alembic,

This really sounds like you're missing a ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessageHosts folder to me.

Rudy

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy, there's a text file in that folder, 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json, dated 2017-10-02. It contains:

{
    "path" : "\/Applications\/1Password.app\/Contents\/Library\/LoginItems\/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.app\/Contents\/MacOS\/OnePasswordNativeMessageHost",
    "allowed_extensions" : [
    "onepassword4@agilebits.com"
    ],
    "name" : "2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password",
    "type" : "stdio",
    "description" : "1Password Extension"
    }

Should that be "onepassword6@agilebits.com"?

• @alembic,

Nope, that all looks correct.

Next thing to check is that the system thinks the signature for Firefox is intact:

paste this into Terminal.app and hit return, it will check the code signature of the Firefox binary to see if its valid on disk.

codesign -d --verify --verbose=3 /Applications/Firefox.app

Rudy

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy, looks OK?

--prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin--prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/crashreporter.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin--validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/crashreporter.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libfreebl3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libfreebl3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/liblgpllibs.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/liblgpllibs.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavutil.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavutil.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavcodec.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavcodec.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssckbi.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssckbi.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssdbm3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssdbm3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnss3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libnss3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libplugin_child_interpose.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libplugin_child_interpose.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libsoftokn3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libsoftokn3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/plugin-container.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/plugin-container.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/pingsender
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/pingsender
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updater.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updater.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL
    /Applications/Firefox.app: valid on disk
    /Applications/Firefox.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

• bundtkate
    edited November 2017
    Options

@alembic: As I mentioned in the other thread where we ran into each other, I did take a read through this to see if I have any ideas. I have a few theories, but I'm not going to be as handy as Rudy sorting through things using terminal commands, but I can take a look at some diagnostics from your Mac to see if any of the usual suspects are to blame here:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

If you'd like, send that report over to support@agilebits.com and let me know the Support ID you receive back here. I'll take a gander and see if I can move things along. :chuffed:

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is MBL-52987-456

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alembic: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: MBL-52987-456

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I am also unable to install plugin on Firefox 57 on Windows 10. I always get connection failure error. I am using 1Password 4.6.2.626 and have Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 installed on my machine. Could this be blocking installation? I have tried playing with Kaspersky settings, but still unable to install.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhusari: It's certainly possible. Typically we see self-signed certificates used to perform person-in-the-middle attacks, which is usually present to the user as "HTTPS/TLS/SSL Scanning" or similar. For a number of reasons, that's bad for security; but it also will prevent you from connecting securely to websites, and ours is very strict about not allowing eavesdropping or impersonation. Ironically, while the 1Password extension can function just fine in that environment anyway, you will not be able to download it if the OS and/or browser has been modified in such a way. You may, however, be able to download it using another browser and then install it in Firefox, as I mentioned above. Did you try that?

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, did not notice the workaround is already mentioned in the thread. I just did that and was able to install it. Bingo! Thanks!

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Rudy solved the issue. For macOS Sierra and newer, when installing Firefox, the application MUST be copied from the disk image to the /Applications folder using Finder. I was using Path Finder and that occasions a mount of the new Firefox binary to a temp folder to be launched from there (rather than from /Applications folder) as a specific TransLocation flag in the application fails to be cleared when the copy is performed by anything other than Finder. 1Password was unable to ensure Firefox's identity because of that errant pathname. Thanks Rudy!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhusari: Glad that helped, but I'd encourage you to investigate what is preventing you from securely installing the extension from within Firefox. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Rudy solved the issue. For macOS Sierra and newer, when installing Firefox, the application MUST be copied from the disk image to the /Applications folder using Finder. I was using Path Finder and that occasions a mount of the new Firefox binary to a temp folder to be launched from there (rather than from /Applications folder) as a specific TransLocation flag in the application fails to be cleared when the copy is performed by anything other than Finder. 1Password was unable to ensure Firefox's identity because of that errant pathname. Thanks Rudy!

@alembic: Aha! That explains it. Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy, you are most welcome!

Indeed, that's actually why we moved to using an installer for the launch of Sierra, due to these security changes. In case it helps you or anyone else, there's a good writeup here about the App Translocation feature:

macOS Sierra will break many installers and updaters (The Eclectic Light Company)

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• hedgeddown
    hedgeddown
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy - I'm also having issues with the plugin being greyed out after install (10.12.6) 1password 6.8.4. Mine was dragged to applications to install so that's not my issue.

You mentioned something about ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessageHosts being missing which applies to me. If I debug the addon I get the following error:

No such native application 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password NativeMessaging.jsm:100
    [CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: No such native application 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password global.min.js:234:122
    [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected. global.min.js:99:201
    1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Fri Dec 01 2017 16:46:15 GMT+1100 (AEDT) and Fri Dec 01 2017 16:48:15 GMT+1100 (AEDT) global.min.js:234:470
    [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected. global.min.js:99:201
    Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks. global.min.js:83:123

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hedgeddown: Indeed, we've gotten reports that Firefox is not creating the NativeMessagingHosts folder for some people. I couldn't tell you why it wouldn't, but creating it yourself may help. Try this:

1. Go to Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder
    2. In the box that pops up, enter ~/Library/Application Support
    3. In the folder that opens, you should find a Mozilla folder. If not, create it.
    4. Inside the Mozilla folder, create a folder named NativeMessagingHosts if it does not exist.
    5. Go to 1Password and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini

Let me know if that helps! :)

• hedgeddown
    hedgeddown
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty perfect - I needed to do steps 4 & 5 thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! Glad that did the trick! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.